Sign in to follow this  
FloB

Shaking grounds

I found that turning off "gritty detail textures" minimizes the jittering. Can you confirm this, Alex?

What OS, GPU and driver are you running? Mine is a GTX670 with latest beta driver on WIN7 - 64.

Hi Flo,

Well I think that turning off gritty... only changes my perception of this issue because of the blurrier textures but yes is like minimizing the issue, anyway I still prefer the gritty becasue this issue is not so annoying for me. My specs are Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits, XP10 v10.20 32 bits b3, GTX 660 with 306.97 drivers.

Hope this helps,

Alexander Colka

You're right about that, it's a change in perception in the first place. Since tech support didn't have a specific idea about the issue I decided to drop that case instead of messing with my whole installation and system. It's not too bad to worry about it more than I already did.

Looks like a NVIDIA driver issue to me - but what do I know!

Thanks to all of you

Flo

You are welcome perhaps if you do a high resolution video showing the issue they can understand you.

Cheers,

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Alexander Colka

Update:

Customer support (to which I did send a video two days ago) did some testing on the issue and was able to reproduce it. They handed it over to the developers so there is a fair chance the jittering will get fixed. Nice.

Flo

Great news hope they fix this in this 10.20 beta run.

thanks,

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

Alexander Colka

Wow a developer sees a problem submitted by a user and pushes it along so it gets fixed.. AMAZING! I keep being impressed with X-Plane (coming from a long time FS2004 user)

Found a video that shows the issue very well. Just watch the the first 60 seconds in HD and take a look at the ground / textures. I think this issue is related to the flickering of objects that many users reported. Indeed it's not only the ground but the whole scenery that is jittering all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g5KmCzK7ktE

Flo

Feeled  a 100 years later, it seems that Ben found and fixed the ground texture shaking bug. The use of a VR headset made the problem so annoying, that he was forced to search and fix it.

Lessons learned: VR is great for fixing ground texture shaking problems. :biggrin:

Tom

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

3 minutes ago, hhbrbg said:

Feeled  a 100 years later, it seems that Ben found and fixed the ground texture shaking bug. The use of a VR headset made the problem so annoying, that he was forced to search and fix it.

Lessons learned: VR is great for fixing ground texture shaking problems. :biggrin:

Tom

I'm guessing it was making some people sick!

7 hours ago, hhbrbg said:

The use of a VR headset made the problem so annoying, that he was forced to search and fix it.

Interesting, because until recently, he always gave the impression that this bug was so obscure and hard to pin down that it was all but impossible to fix without a complete engine rewrite.

It's ridiculous that it took this long to get fixed and only because something finally forced their hand.

I actually quit XP10 over this bug, among other deficiencies (but learned to live with it in XP11 and it's many improvements).

Like everyone else, I'm glad the ground shaking has been fixed. I think it's worth noting that it seemed to be highly variable, probably due to different user's settings and hardware. I've seen videos where it looks like an earthquake was in progress. On my system, it was such a tiny effect that I had to look hard to remind myself it was there. If the Laminar crew saw something similar I can understand why it got pushed down the list of things to fix. And then VR made it more obvious, I guess. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

This was driving me absolutely crazy last night when sitting in the cockpit doing some GPS entry during pre-flight..

So this is going to be fixed in the next patch?

Or is there an update that does it now?

The fix should be out for v 11.10, but please read yourself.

Tom

Ben Supnik said:

June 14, 2017 at 12:19 pm

No. The ground shaking is a separate bug that is fixed - the fix will be released in 11.10.

Orthophoto stutters are the sim pausing for small amounts of time (or HUGE amounts of time) while loading heavy orthophoto scenery. The really big pause is a threading bug, fixed in 11.02 beta 2 when it comes out; the small glitches that we've seen are locks in the Windows memory allocator and GL driver...we're trying to work around them/minimize the pain.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

10 minutes ago, hhbrbg said:

The fix should be out for v 11.10, but please read yourself.

Tom

Thanks Tom - Saw that (I was the one who asked Ben the question right there)

Great news!!

• Upvote 1