Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

DCS: EDGE

News by Wags

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1612876&postcount=1296

hello guys ,

can someone (hope from ED) update me on the Nevada map status?

When I purchased A10C beta, many many months ago, I've been told that I would have got the Nevada map for free when released.

As far as I can see now it's not clear when it will be released and if I shall pay for it...

thanks

Alessandro

As has been stated several times before, the map itself is almost done (NEVADA). The long delay is due to development of a new rendering engine that is capable of rending the this map and its very high level of detail at acceptable frame rates. Developing a new rendering engine is a very long and complex matter. There have also been some delays due to some changes in staffing and the team having to work on some other projects in parallel. When there is new news, there will be an announcement. At this time, given the work on the engine, it is not even possible to run the map to take screen shots.

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

More news to the front....

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

In the coming weeks I will also have information and images that I can share regarding the status of the Nevada map, discuss more about EDGE features, and fill you in on other future maps that are already in work or planned.

Thanks,
Matt
  • Upvote 1

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

This is G-R-E-A-T News!!! Out of everything on the DCS Road map,New Terrain is the most important to me.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Eagle Dynamics Ground Engine.

luckybob9 new info EDGE / Nevada

NOTE: None of this is 100% official. This is me helping you putting information into one spot.

What is EDGE?
EDGE, dubbed Eagle Dynamic Graphic Engine, is a new rendering engine built from the ground up that allowed for numerous benefits to the DCS environment.

When will EDGE be released?
Since EDGE is built from scratch, it will take time to incorporate all the elements that are needed to make it playable at acceptable frame rates.

What are the benefits to EDGE?
· EDGE allows for Direct X 11 support
· Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
· Clipmap support
· Higher object count
· Higher resolution ground terrain mesh
· More detailed tree models
· High resolution road textures
· Ability for road signs and light signals
· Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.)

Will the Black Sea map in its current form work with EDGE?
No. Since the technology behind EDGE is dramatically different, down to the tools that create it, terrain needs to be built with the EDGE benefits in mind. This is a HUGE undertaking and not an easy task to redo something.

Are there maps in progress that take advantage of EDGE?
Yes, the first map to take advantage of EDGE is Nevada.

How far along is the Nevada map?
It has been stated that the Nevada map is mostly done but work remains to finish the underlying EDGE engine.

If the Nevada map is mostly done, why not post some screenshots to the community?
EDGE is the underlying core of the Nevada map. If EDGE is in a state where it is not capable of running or showing off its potential, (bad frames, no anti-alisting/ ‘jaggies’, etc), screenshots might not be possible.

How big is the Nevada map?
There is no official distance/ surface number, but it has been said that it will include Las Vegas, Groom Lake, Nellis, Lake Mead, and Hoover Dam.

Will EDGE/ Nevada cost anything?
EDGE is rendering engine, so no. It has been stated that the plan is still for the Nevada map to be free for users who pre-ordered DCS: A-10C Warthog beta.

So what will Nevada cost if I did not pre-order?
See Below

How will I switch between maps?
When creating a new mission, the authors can specify what map to use. This feature is already implemented but there is only the current map.

Typical questions that do not have answers:
Will trees be collidable?
What is the size of the Nevada map?
Are the creation tools going to be made available to the public?
What is the cost of Nevada if I did not pre-order DCS: A10C?
When will new screenshots be posted?
When will it be released?

Creation tools?

-As in tools like Arma2 that allow users to make maps? If so, cool!

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Creation tools?

-As in tools like Arma2 that allow users to make maps? If so, cool!

Sent from my Apple communications device.

Yes William, contrarily to RW, THIS World is getting better & better after each new release :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Comercial / professional products videos use EDGE technology. Take a look to Alabama FortRucker Cairns, I/ITSEC 2012 presentation video.

High range terrain visualization
Cairns-Fort Rucker, Alabama, USA
presented by "AVIA" for I/ITSEC 2012

High range terrain visualization
Island Corsica
presented by "AVIA" for I/ITSEC 2012
  • Upvote 1

Cool! Is any of this to be incorporated into the dcs SIM? Approx ETA? Great to see some results

I expected nevada / Normandy WW2 and others can reach that detail level (EDGE v4)

MI-17 Helicopter Training Sim, Concord and Avia, I/ITSEC 2012 (EDGE technology)

Concord XXI

OMG!!! Heaven!!!!

Patrick

Initially, I was a bit underwhelmed by the screenshots on the Eagle Dynamics website. But seeing those commercial videos, I think it looks absolutely excellent. What surprises me is how remarkably similar it is to X-planes 'plausible' world. Looking forward to seeing more, it looks like an immensely complex engine which could take some time to complete. Worth the wait though, I'm sure.

Rhydian

• Upvote 1

Yes,I thought of X-Planes World also.

Patrick