Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

For me is it Ariane, overpriced and an absolutely louse customer service - the worst.

Bernd

• Upvote 3

Same here with CS. I bought their 767 as one of the first addons, in the boxed version, which I didn't consider that bad, until I recognised some bugs after continuing a saved flight (AP not following route properly). However, I haven't then learned my lesson, but went on to buy their (unfinished) 737, the 707 and the 727base packs, which I never completed a flight with, because of the lack of proper documentation. I didn't list it previously, for I picked them up in one of their $9.99 sales. But after reading so many rather posts of quite a lot people disappointed by the same products, I thought I'd also express my opinion on those planes.

Flo

FSX....After a few dozen hours of trying to get FSX Gold to look half decent, I have given up.

Justflight 737 Professional. I should have done my homework better before I purchased this crap. The overhead panel is not accurate, especially the electrical panel. The flight model is terrible and the engines produce waaaay toooo much thrust. The airplane is like a space shuttle. The VC is hard to see for some reason in my opinion and the night lighting looks like crap too. Being a retired 737 pilot with over 10,000 hours of flight time in a real 737-200, I should know a few things, okay. I usually don't have buyers remorse, but I am having it with this purchase! I eventually downloaded the Tinmouse 737-200 even though its only 2-D, but I absolutely love this one.

The Ariane 737NG (original) was a disappointment, primarily because it was buggy and the Vnav was crap and the product support was not there.

• Upvote 1

JustFlight DC-3, this product turned me away from JustFlight, no second chance for them.

CS727, a great visual model and VC....but, they never finished it, the flight model, sounds and instrument programing are atrocious, (I sure wish Dreamfleet would have completed a 727 for FSX). If CS ever finishes a product let me know and I will take a look.

Vertigo RV8, Nice model and flys well but some of the instruments and avionics behave just plane weird.

These top my list of wasted money.

Dave

David A Gubert

Just thought I would chime in here again and thank all of the members who contributed to this thread thus far.

I was afraid when starting this topic it might be stirring the “hornets nest” but I’m glad to see it has been informative and so far has not descended into anarchy

Great website, great forum, great members

Thank you all again

• Upvote 3

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

My only regrets that I have spent money on are the following and its not because there is anything wrong with these addons, it's just merely that I either dont ever use them or I have found an alternative that I replaced them with.

1. ORBX NA, full AU package and all the airports. Nothing wrong with any of them, but I really never fly to these locations and the PNW is really much better suited to low and slow than airliner flying. Between the regions and all the airports I have spent about $250 to $300 that I wouldn't mind having back.

2. REX. I was really interested in this after seeing all the screen shots. I already owned FEX and was really happy with it, but thought REX might offer more. As it turned out, I didn't end up liking most of the REX sky or cloud sets. I've since went back to using HDEv2 for the sky and FEX for the clouds since they look more natural and realistic to me. The only thing from REX I use if the water and the mics. runway and taxiway textures. Never use the weather engine since I love AS2012. At least it was not a very expensive purchase.

3. Capt Sim C-130, 727 and 757. Got these all during the $10 Christmas sale but have only used each no more than 10 times each.

4. Aerosoft Toulouse. Not a bad looking airport but I cant seem to get more than 20 FPS in the NGX at this airport even with no AI.

5. PMDG JS4100. Great plane but never gets used. Bought it while I was waiting for the NGX and had been flying the LDS767. Thought it would be a nice departure from the LDS767 which it was for a few weeks then I parked it and went back to flying the LDS. Since the NGX came out, neither the JS41 or LDS gets used but I cant say I regret the LDS 767 since I have more hours in it than any other plane in my hangar.

Overall I guess I am looking at about $400 or so dollars worth of stuff than I kind of regret buying since non of it ever gets used. I learned my lesson though to always wait for reviews when it comes to new products, wait for the first few patches, then decide if the said purchase will actually get much use or not.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Flight Operations Centre - made flight planning a chore rather than interesting

A380 from Wilco - frequent crashes, ghost external lights a few metres out from aircraft body

A320 from Wilco - opaque windows

B737-400 from Wilco - manual flight always stuttered badly on my system

Flight Keeper - occasional big time crashes of FSX

PMDG 737-NGX - only purchased to see what the fuss was about, still wondering (nice as it is)

PMDG MD-11 - only purchased to see if it was as bad as many said at the time of release (in fact, it seemed ok to me, except that it messed up my PMDG 747 installation!)

Michael

Let me add another one.. skysim dc9.. absolutely horrible graphics and a pain in the &@($* to get up in the air.

-Damien

Abacus 787. It's just awfull

Ariane 737. I got that cause I wanted a 737NG but only flew it a few times. Seriously disliked it. When the PMDG came out I knew what I was missing :)

Wilco 777 . Gave that one up quickly too.

Harro

b77lr_10.jpg

Harro Lippmann

So far, thanks to all you lot, I only have 2 addons that I regret buying..

1. Sim-Wings - Mega Airports Heathrow (Published by Aerosoft) as its REALLY hard on frame rates and looks awful. Plus the airport is actually invisible until your right on top of it, so you have nothing to aim at until your 4 miles away, not even a runway, no lights, nothing.

2. FDC Live Cockpit 2011... It sounds awful, period. I since purchased FS2Crew which is bloomin awesome, just regret not doing 10 minutes research first, would have realised FDC Live Cockpit and FS2Crew both do the same thing, and that FS2Crew is far better quality..

I just recently got FSGenesis for all of the USA, and I have never had a plateau issue in any airport I've flown from or into. Maybe they've fixed that issue recently, but I don't have a complaint about that mesh.

My biggest regret was XPax. I kept getting an error that says I don't have SP2 so it won't work. Well, I have Acceleration, so I don't know what that's about. To be fair to the developers, I have not tried to get any support for this issue, I have just kept using FSPassengersX. Maybe I could have gotten it resolved, but Xpax was pretty inexpensive, so no big loss.

--Don

Don Polidori

I regret getting MegasceneryEarth Florida, the ground clouds are horrendous, the biggest sin on that being a monster ground cloud next to KDAB

Newport Washington DC gets my ire because the "night lighting" is illuminating the whole scenery, not logical light sources like Megascenery, but making the whole coverage area glow.

What a great thread and the comments are so informative. I have only one FSX plane addon in my hanger and that is the LDS 767. Yup its VC is very long in the tooth, but it is so bug free and flies like a dream. Now having said that I bought XPax had no technical problems with it, but was really disappointed with the functions. The developer has ended any support but for the low price was not bad.

I have tons of airports and will be adding some more in the near future. I have Aerosoft's Amsterdam Schiphol and although I use it, its very hard to navigate around the airport for many taxiway signs are either hard to read or non existent

I also have FSGenesis mesh and the plateau issue which I did have in FS9 does not appear with my FSX versions, maybe there was an update.

All in all I am very satisfied with my FSX addons, this kind of thread helps me not purchase poor quality products, thanks OP

Bob

FS Genesis and FS Global Mesh. I just hate airports and lakes that suddenly are on top of plateaus. Use freeware mesh for a few mountainous areas instead. I could have lived with the mesh if they could be installed as scenery layers instead. That way they would have been easy to disable for regions they destroy.

FSGlobal offers a fix for this ----> http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

As for my regretted purchases, they are:

Orbx Lancair

Lionheart Epic LT & Epic Victory

Arianne 737

Feelthere CRJ

Aerosim 787

Eaglesoft Citation X