Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

Great thread. So I won't bore anyone here, just simply MANY PLANES that I bought that I flew only once and take up too much space on my hard drive. Also....ANYTHING ABACUS!!!

Stan

ps.

I will be cleaning up (deleting) my plane stable over the Christmas vacation. I won't look back but I'll have a strong NEW YEAR's RESOLUTION on plane purchases (if the world doesn't end on December 21st).

Ariane 737 - what a complete waste of money, should've just wiped myself with it

• Upvote 1

Hi jjjallen - did you try to get support for your issue? I only ask because the Flight 1 Mustang made my top 3 list for aircraft and I fly it regularly and have never had a CTD issue with it. It does have a beautiful VC and I especially enjoy flying shorter hops in Orbx land. I hope you can get it resolved and start enjoying that unique Very Light Jet!

--Don

Like I said Don - with my new rig I'm going to give it a try again (with fingers crossed)

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

For me it would have to be two Just Flight products- Airbus 340 'lite' and "Around the World in 80 Flights". The 'lite' Airbus 340 package just wasn't as interesting as the adverts/info made it sound...I've flown them all of twice, never finished a flight, disliked the odd view points as I'm a VC flyer so certainly not much value for me. I picked up the "80 Flights" module because it had the Lockheed Model 10 Electra, not because of the 'missions'. I don't mind the aircrafts flight, but there was basically no manual for flying it (I would have liked knowing about optimum prop RPM settings/manifold power/leaning etc) and the VC is um, in my oppinion, rather lacklustre. Basically not much value although I have used the aircraft in Air Hauler a fair bit. Pretty much two dogs for me.

My biggest regret was XPax. I kept getting an error that says I don't have SP2 so it won't work. Well, I have Acceleration, so I don't know what that's about. To be fair to the developers, I have not tried to get any support for this issue, I have just kept using FSPassengersX. Maybe I could have gotten it resolved, but Xpax was pretty inexpensive, so no big loss.

I hope this helps with you're Xpax issues. The way I fixed it was I needed to installed the old version of Simconnect. I can't remember what the version number is. There are I think four versions of it. I just installed them all from FSX Delux thru all the Service Packs 1 and 2 and the addon pack Accleration.

If I hadn't gotten "80 Flights" (from First Class Simulations) as a freebie with my CH Flight Sim Yoke, it would have been on my regretted purchases list. I just couldn't like the Electra. It didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings when there was no checklist or v-speed reference.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Worst purchases:

- ORBX YBBN and YMML - absolutely BEAUTIFUL products but pretty much made my fsx unflyable. Try landing your B737 online with VATSIM and other traffic at 3 fps!

- Majestic Dash8 - controls were/are horrible

all the developers are probably like reading this thinking "well ###### man".... lol

Stephen, would there be a way to render your post more useful? It comes in like a rant and, if you get CTDs on your system, even a sad one. :mellow: Ventilating frustration?

We may agree that a thread starting like that may not end well, or at least helpful for readers. And I have yet to see helpful posts including the words 'rubbish' or 'poor and buggy'. I think you can do better. :smile:

Haha. Good point.

CoolP, I want to echo your comment. This kind of posting will not be much fruitful and can generate great discomfort if one of the developers of the listed products comes across this post.

Great effort is required for creating addons and criticizing their jobs would be painful.

CoolP, I want to echo your comment. This kind of posting will not be much fruitful and can generate great discomfort if one of the developers of the listed products comes across this post.

Great effort is required for creating addons and criticizing their jobs would be painful.

I think you have misinterpreted what I meant by starting this thread. This was not about developer bashing or insulting their products.

It’s about, on a personal level which one left you with a feeling that you could have lived without

I’ll give one of my own examples again

FSDT KORD……..Brilliant developer own most of their products and will probably buy any future release but KORD did not do it for me.

We all appreciate developers, they have made the sim world what it is today and we are all grateful for that

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

On the contrary many of us find this very useful.

The thread is about PURCHASES. Not freeware models. Once you start selling any product it will be reviewed, crfiticised and compared with similar products. If purchasers find faults the discussion of them and the response of the producer to reports about these issues is of great interest to any prospective purchaser.

As for the creator finding it painful?! To be blunt "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen". If people found fault with a car or a fridge freezer would you consider that complaining might hurt the producer? Further more in the wider world of commerce and competition the producer would expect feedback on faults, dissapointments, breakdowns etc. and have a system in place to ensure that issues were fixed to maintain their reputation in the market place. Go to ANY manufacturers web site and you'll find links to support, updates, recalls etc.etc.

Commercial add-ons, just like games or any other software is a product and those who purchase it are consumers. The producers are required to make "goods must be of merchantable quality" and consumers have a right to expect that.

That's not to say that a listing here makes that product NOT of merchantable quality but I note that some of the names coming up here more than others are amongst the higher priced add-ons and that with others several users have had problems getting them to work at all.

Whenever I buy anything I research the available options, customer feedback, reviews etc. What I don't do is take "A's" opinion that product X is total rubbish any more seriously than "B's" opinion that it's "awsome". When the A's outweigh the B's it ought to ring alarm bells? ...but it still might be a specific problem.

I trained as a designer. Design courses teach design by a series of criticisms. If you want to sell your designs and make a living you don't achieve that basking on the "Awsome" "Stunning" "Amazing" "Superb" feedback. You get most support and a better product listening to the "It's OK but this could be better" types of feedback.

There's no rant here. Just folk posting reasonable comments on what they've regretted buying.

Geoff

• Upvote 5

Geoff Brown

It’s about, on a personal level which one left you with a feeling that you could have lived without

I’ll give one of my own examples again

FSDT KORD……..Brilliant developer own most of their products and will probably buy any future release but KORD did not do it for me.

Sure it's personal, especially with sceneries, otherwise it would be difficult to explain this:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/392037-which-fsdt-airport-to-choose/#entry2526685

I have almost all of them - KJFK and KORD are outstanding.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/392037-which-fsdt-airport-to-choose/#entry2526895

Picked up KLAX and KORD. Outstanding.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/354582-fsdreamteam-chicago-update-20-released/#entry2169855

Ron, the airport is great. You can download the product and install it. It runs in demo mode for 5 minutes so you can get an idea whether you like it or not.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/354582-fsdreamteam-chicago-update-20-released/#entry2169862

haven't yet gotten the update, the original KORD is great, lots of detail.

Sure it's personal, especially with sceneries, otherwise it would be difficult to explain this:

http://forum.avsim.n...e/#entry2526685

[/font][/color]

http://forum.avsim.n...e/#entry2526895

[/font][/color]

http://forum.avsim.n...d/#entry2169855

[/font][/color]

http://forum.avsim.n...d/#entry2169862

Exactly. I am going against 99% of what people say about this add-on, because it’s a personal opinion

That’s my point.

Thank you

P.S Umberto thank you for KJFK and Geneva awesome additions

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10