Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

Having browsed through this whole thread (extremely interesting!), it's interesting what's not been mentioned and I'm sure those developers are relieved but, yeah, they're that good!

My list is pretty small...things I'm genuinely sad I spent the money and put them on my system:

• FS2Crew J41.
  • Megascenery Earth regions in California (though, I love MegasceneryX SoCal). Also, it looks like they're making some improvements over there with their new stuff.

There are other things that I've been disappointed by...certainly the lack of support for hardware and LINDA in aircraft...but most vendors of even moderately advanced aircraft are in that boat, I think. Still, doesn't rise to the level of regret...just a long sigh.

What I would *love* to see when this thread settles down, is a table for things that showed how many regrets there were by item and by manufacturer.

Gregg

EDIT: Thought I'd add the things I'm happiest about purchasing:

• Milviz C310 (still haven't taken up the BE55 much but I will)
  • REX
  • Carenado C182Q, C337
  • MegasceneryX SoCal

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Adding to my post earlier a few people brought up a good point that what we perceive as a good add-on and a bad add-on depends on the person.

I for one like to take simple planes and tweak them to fly the numbers. I really like the just flight planes because they look great and allow me to tweak without too much hassle. Especially in creating my own custom 2D panels.

Now because I like making my own custom 2D panels (to use along with the VC) I have learned that the more complicated the plane (PMDG 747, CS 777, Feelthere Embraer 175,190 etc..) the less tweaking I am allowed to do because the way the planes are created. I know most developers frown and discourage tweaking and I understand why because it makes the plane easier to pirate.

So the moral of the story is different strokes for different folks.

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

I can't think of anything that I regret purchasing for FSX, but I have to say that I am very disappointed with the extremely bland photoscenery around Glasgow in the PlayHorizon VFR Scotland South product. I sincerely hope that they can do something about that at some point. Having 60cm per pixel resolution is great, but only if the colours and contrast are also top notch.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

FScene - but I got it on sale so it didn't cost much.

Abacus Aircraft - again doesn't cost much, tried a few

Probably my biggest regret would be the order in which I upgraded FSX with add ons, learning by trying and buying was sometimes painful. Would have been very helpful to have known of a community forum such as Avisim when I began purchasing.

What I have today is a awesome working Flight Simulator X with enhancements throughout the world, from airports to grass, sounds, airplanes, weather, moon, make and place scenery, missions, shaking and vibrating cockpits, scores for flight performance all thanks to 3rd party developers, guess you could say I'm kinda proud of how things have turned out for a non compy savy individual, and Im still running a windows xp 32 bit sytsem.

Interesting topic. I must say that unlike some, I see a pretty fair balance between praise and criticism in most Avsim forums (with a couple of minor sub-forum exceptions). Note, that doesn't mean that I don't see gushing; I do, or bashing; plenty of that as well. But it's pretty easy to sort out the extremes (and the extremists) at the margins. What drives me nutz are those users who either gush ("It's great! Everyone should get it!") or bash ("It stinks! The developer should rot in...") with few or no reasons given, but plenty of emotion. The posts I value give well articulated REASONS for their opinions. That said, as a consequence of what I learn here and in a few other places, combined with (mostly, usually ^_^ ) disciplined buying, I honestly don't have many regrets - but here's my short list and reasons.

I never fly my Flight1 Mustang - but not because it's a bad product. I bought it to expand into light jets after cautiously enjoying my move to small turbo-props but it just doesn't suit me.

I never fly my Carenado A36 - bought it on sale even though I know I don't care for newer Bonanza/Baron panels IRL. Guess what, I don't in the sim either.

I've bought two planes on impulse (and on sale) that I've never flown, but probably will some day when the mood strikes as they're both supposed to be good. Aerosoft Catalina and Milviz 310.

I bought Orbx NZSI on sale, but never installed it. Maybe someday I'll decide it's time to fly outside NA.

I never fly in or out of Orbx Anacortes - it's the only airport of theirs that simply overwhelms my system.

I bought a sound pack (Ovee?, I think) for my Carenado 337 that was pretty much a complete bust. Don't know why I did it anyway, since the default Carenado sound is excellent.

So there ya go. Don't know how useful any of that is to anyone.

Scott

Hi jjjallen - did you try to get support for your issue? I only ask because the Flight 1 Mustang made my top 3 list for aircraft and I fly it regularly and have never had a CTD issue with it. It does have a beautiful VC and I especially enjoy flying shorter hops in Orbx land. I hope you can get it resolved and start enjoying that unique Very Light Jet!

--Don

Hey Don - just tried the Mustang (again) on my new system and guess what - it never loads. I've waited 30 minutes looking at a black screen LOL.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I agree this is a nice thread. For me, the ORBX products are not something that I have gotten a lot of use from but they are wonderful products for the right person. I am sure that there are bad products I have purchased over the years but honestly, I have forgotten that I even have licenses them. ORBX sticks in my mind because the $ to use ratio is so low.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

No regrets, but a few disappointments:

• MTX-lite seemed like a nice jump-in point for trying a traffic add-on, plus the developer gives you a discount for their full up version, but its fps hit was too much to justify its use when I really didn't need the enhanced traffic.
  • Orbx NZSI is too bland IMO, plus it dropped the nasty orbx gabled roof texture bomb on all other FSX areas. It has yet to make it back into my latest FSX install, and it may stay that way indefinately.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Great thread.

Anything Wilco - I own the Airbus Evolution Series, CRJ, E-Jets V1 and V2, and the Citation X. Why do I keep giving them my money? Why?

VFR London - It looks great but it brings my system to a halt. It does not blend well with default scenery and it has this weird river boundary surrounding the scenery area. It looks like a moat.

AirSimmer A320 - thankfully I was able to get my money back.

QW 757 - I don't know, I'm just not a fan. For me its just a few steps above the default FSX aircraft.

agree! great thread, theres some trends appearing

Iris in general: Extremely poor customer support and incompleted models

the past few ND releases: poor FDEs and lengthy waits for patches that dont really fix anything

Flysimware Bell 47:.......... im going to leave it at that

CS weapons addon

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

ArezOne King air C90 soundpack! Even the original Carenado included reverse sounds! You can't call that an upgrade.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Luckily I came to FSX very late on the game after a 5 year battle with cancer. Seems to have been a blessing, all you poor sods made all the mistakes for me and allowed me to bat a hundred thus far on my purchases. Please keep doing that so I can save having my head caved in by the wife!

• Upvote 1

Visual Flight London for fs9, and when you're in that early MsFlight Sim discovery when you realise that it's not just the CD , there's a whole community of addons out there and you have to start buying ALL OF THEM! FsScene collection right before I discover GE existed! There have been lots of throwaway addons I've purchased. In the times when money was free I'd buy an addon 'just to try it' and discard it soon after, when I think of the money I wasted on these whims and add it up, and the look at the price of the video card I am saving up for it makes me want to get the time machine out