Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

A couple more:

Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0: VC is average, documentation is not cohesive, support is now in doubt as coder left

Aerosoft Beaver X: poor VC, and there were quirks that I can't tolerate. Unfortunately, the screenshots did not show those.

Aerosoft Twotter X: lost interest after flying once or twice

Simcheck A300-B4 : nothing wrong with the simulation, found out that I am totally not into old school airliner: too much work

PMDG 747-400X: nothing wrong with the simulation, the plane just does not appeal to me.

CS C-130: poor documentation, sworn off CS products for good.

Carenado M201J: the flying behavior is just not right and of course bugs

Carenado C152II: bugs

FlightReplica SuperCub Ultra: VC is cartoonish

One big regret: not looking into Avsim forums earlier before these purchases. I was reading the reviews from AVSim, and was sold on them. I learned the hard way that review is but one opinion among many, and there is wisdom of the crowd. I could have saved hundred of dollars by research the forum first.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

It's fun again. Less can be more.

I have to agree. When my mind was flirting with going to heavy metal I sat back in my chair after a frustrating few days messing with configuring hardware and asked myself what I wanted to do. After a few hours of mulling I came up with:

1. Airplanes with decent framerates (30+)
  2. Airplanes with excellent FDEs that would model stalls, slips, handle realistically in crosswinds.
  3. Airplanes with realistic and working cockpit
  4. Airplanes that would integrate with my hardware

So, smaller airplanes with steam gauges seemed to be the best and easiest fit. Steam gives better framerates and I prefer steam in small airplanes anyway. Going from top to bottom in my little checklist gets harder as you move down.

1. Frame rate: A fair number of airplanes that have good frame rates...some of them are awful but watching what folks say you get a sense of them.
  2. FDE: Looking for slips, stalls, flare, slow speed handling, general feel. Bernt Stolle (some Carenado, some Milviz), RealAir, BayTower.
  3. Cockpit: Filtering out a fairly large number of airplanes here...bugs, disabled controls, poor implementation. I look for as complete as possible. If an item is in a checklist it should not be disabled and function right.
  4. In terms of hardware, it's proved more of a challenge than I would like but it's not as painful if it doesn't work since there are fewer switches on small planes. Switches, as simple as they seem, almost never to model properly, even in these excellent airplanes. Knobs work better.

There are some airplanes that I would buy a new version of if they expanded functionality. I bet most people have a few airplanes that they would do the same. But that's a new thread...

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

By far it's the PMDG 737NGX!

Since I bought it I've suffered:

I have hemorrhoids from too much cockpit time and eye fatigue from staring at the 27" monitor I just had to have because of the virtual cockpit eye candy. I've been threatened with divorce because I'm always off somewhere hauling the trash (really in the basement where my favorite pastime has been relegated to). The only reason I haven't been served the papers is that my wife won't come near the flight deck -- I mean the basement. Finally, I've suffered the embarrassment of bankruptcy and credit default because I owe the electric company beaucoup bucks for all the -trons I've trashed.

WELL THAT'S IT FOR NOW -- I'M ON MY WAY TO THE LOCAL FSX ANONYMOUS MEETING -- MY THIRD ONE THIS WEEK.

Woe is me!!

• Upvote 2

I'll add another developer to this list as they still relevant in the FSX world:

4. FSD and their Avanti project. Hostile support and a very falty product. The VC left allot to be desired and the flight model was something out of Science Fiction.

5. SSW's A310 - to this day has the most beautiful VC for the A310 even by FSX standards. It was never finished and fully realized. The bugs prevented standard use and left us all with only the CLS freeware quality option. The next time I saw a decent payware A310 it was FSX only...

These last two and Ariane are actually my biggest regretful purchases in the last 10 years now that I think about it.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Every Captain Sim product: 727 especially. No cockpit sounds after applying every fix (many posted on their own website 3 years ago). How can a such a fundamental aspect of a simulation remain broken for so long, with dismissive responses to customer inquiries? I've spent hours trying to fix this and other faults with their products.

With December here, I bet the Captain Sim fire sale will begin. Take the +\- $70 you would spend collecting several incomplete simulations and buy something that works or that someone is willing to fix.

• Upvote 1

Guest Raul_Hernandez

With December here, I bet the Captain Sim fire sale will begin. Take the +\- $70 you would spend collecting several incomplete simulations and buy something that works or that someone is willing to fix.

+1

Aerosoft Airbus X

Aerosim 787 - why the hype?

CS 757,767 etc - I've never had issues with the FSX aircraft.

Ariane 737 - the activation stories are ALL true. Took me between 48-72 hours. BUT what a fantastic flight model. The fluidity, aircraft momentum, etc is unmatched.

Come on guys is SceneryTech Landclass really that bad? I like to fly in the SouthWest US so maybe it is a keeper for me. Cheers jja PS I have a luv hate relationship with EZDOK which is easily the most flakey piece of software for FSX IMO. And WHEN is the new version 2.0 going to be out????

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

FS-0,FS-1, FS-5 FSW95, FS98, FS2000, FS2004, FSX

Without them:

I would have lived a normal life!

Very true indeed when it comes to the flight world; thanks whoever at Microsoft kept things going as long as you could... :Peace:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hey Microsoft IS Flight Simulation! Don't count them out yet. Just Imagine what the franchise would be like if they would incorporate Bing topography. Bill Gates is an avid Flight Simmer so one can hope IMO. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hey Microsoft IS Flight Simulation! Don't count them out yet. Just Imagine what the franchise would be like if they would incorporate Bing topography. Bill Gates is an avid Flight Simmer so one can hope IMO. Cheers jja

After "Flight" I wouldn't be holding out much hope !!!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Come on guys is SceneryTech Landclass really that bad? I like to fly in the SouthWest US so maybe it is a keeper for me. Cheers jja PS I have a luv hate relationship with EZDOK which is easily the most flakey piece of software for FSX IMO. And WHEN is the new version 2.0 going to be out????

An extremely dissapointing product IMHO. I just bought Cloud9's XClass and will be doing a comparison, but my home area is much better in XClass than SceneryTech Europe. Still, SceneryTech is better than FSX default, so I use it for Africa, Asia and South America.

The thing is that SOME of the default FSX textures are really bad, and you have to be creative with what landclasses you assign to make things look realistic.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Sometimes i go websites like simmarket etc to find stuff that i know is totally crap from years ago, and its still on sale for big money.

Case in point Wilco 777 nearly made me give up on FSX, half way on trip wilco 777 AP NAV randomly does a 180 back in opposite direction. LOve the cockpit though, but the plane is a no fly zone.

Feels like folks are letting off repressed emotions here, always been tricky on avsim to tell others your opinion of a product if its negative.

Very true indeed when it comes to the flight world; thanks whoever at Microsoft kept things going as long as you could... :Peace:

After "Flight" I wouldn't be holding out much hope !!! G

Yea just consider a test project IMO. Cheers jja

Okay guys. You're getting off topic. Thanks!

Jim Young

AVSIM Forum Moderator

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10