Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

Well PMDG was mentioned too but the reasons aren't always about lack of quality.

I'm sure someone bought A2A training and maybe regretted it or found it didn't have what they wanted.

I don't really pay attention much to the purchased mentioned due to complexity of the aircraft (NGX) or that it's not something they use often so it was a regrettable purchase, like orbx sceneries.

The bad apple product posts are the ones I really take note of.

I'll agree with all of that, except the A2A I'm talking about makes the Piper Cub, the B377 Stratocruiser, the B17, and a handful of very high fidelity WW2 fighters. They also make Accu-Feel, which I think at least one person didn't like as much as he thought he would, but it's hard to regret a $15 purchase.

The B377 is tempting, but I don't really like to do that kind of flying. If I'd bought it, I wouldn't regret it. If they made a DC-3 I'd grab it in a heartbeat, as that's the largest plane I typically like to fly. I love the heck out of my A2A Cub. Wish they'd upgrade it for things like different oil viscosity (for flying in really cold weather, seems to be a feature on the larger aircraft) and persistent fuel and oil levels between flights, like the DodoSim 206 Jetranger does. Damage and wear are already persistent.

I was tempted when I first heard about the Antarctica scenery, as I've flown there and enjoyed it, but if I'd bought it I'd regret it because I don't fly there very often.

Finding out which companies should be avoided is very valuable information for me.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Confession..... I could not resist and bought the CS 707 today....

So far, on one flight, it looked cool.

I had read the CS forums and did notice a few things but in the end not bad for the sale price. Great touring around the AC.

I have read it was the best they made. One man's trash is another....

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

BAD:

Anything I ever purchased from Abacus. I have a PBY that won't get off the water

All of the MegaScenery titles. No seasons and bad ground colors.

GOOD:

Orbex

REX

A2A

I generally don't impulse buy, so I haven't regretted any purchases yet.

On the same note I bet I have missed out on some good products because of this.

I love the heck out of my A2A Cub. Wish they'd upgrade it for things like different oil viscosity (for flying in really cold weather, seems to be a feature on the larger aircraft) and persistent fuel and oil levels between flights, like the DodoSim 206 Jetranger does. Damage and wear are already persistent.

Have you mentioned this on their forum. They are always open to suggestions.

You can't go wrong with an A2A aircraft powered by Accu-sim.

Kind Regards

Simon.

One thing worth mentioning. Most of the purchases that were *not* regretful would probably do quite well if a new version came out. I know that I would purchase an upgrade to them without blinking an eye:

• PMDG J41 (some bug fixes and a cabin)
  • Carenado C182Q (better gauges, better textures, RealityXP integration)
  • Milviz C310 and Baron (better hardware integration)

There are several Carenado airplanes that, if they had bug fixes, would push me closer to a purchase. Also, perhaps, the Flight1 Mustang if it wasn't such a frame rate hog.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Also, perhaps, the Flight1 Mustang if it wasn't such a frame rate hog.

Well, as the Mustang was on my "regretted" list, I thought I'd comment... As a result of putting it on my list (mostly because I decided at the time it just wasn't my kind of plane), I decided to give it another shot over the last few weeks. I've all but given up again. On my system, which is hardly killer, I have no real frame-rate issues. It runs fine - performance is absolutely not an issue for me as my sim is set up.

My current issues stem from things like the fact that it's almost impossible to start in a good state. Yeah, I know all about (and have used) their safe start default flight for complex planes and all the rest. Still, it comes alive in weird states and I've never gotten the avionics master to work. Battery on - the avionics come on. Some of the issues are hardware ones, trying to get my throttle quadrant to map cutoff properly (probably simple, but I still haven't found the key), using my Saitek multi-panel with the autopilot (basically can't yet and may simply not be able to get things to map well enough to make it useful) and so on.

Beyond that, though, my first impressions remain - it probably ain't my kinda plane. FADEC and all of the automated just-put-the-throttle-here-and-the-computer-will-set-proper-power stuff just doesn't float my boat, and I still hate that you've gotta spend half your flight popping up panels so you can see and interact with the glass. Glass is great IRL, but in the sim I still think it works in the opposite direction, making making simple things more difficult. And then there are the 1000 limits. Flight1 may have done the best 1000 implementation in all of flight sim, but the fact that you can't do simple things like save that complex flight plan you just spent time entering, well...

I'm afraid, pending trying to straighten out a few problems before I bail again, it still stays on the list.

Scott

Defintely Ariane,

Some CS stuff is not bad, but I only have NGX and MD-11 as aircraft in my hanger now.

I somehow have 10 DVD's worth of paid downloads and it comes to this.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I only have NGX and MD-11 as aircraft in my hanger now.

I somehow have 10 DVD's worth of paid downloads and it comes to this.

It's so telling what you wrote, I can relate to that experience in spades.

Regards;

Fritz

On my system, which is hardly killer

I wish I had an i7....LOL. Interesting comments about the start state. If they fixed those issues would it make you more apt to fly it or is it "ain't my kinda plane" anyway? I have steered away from the PMDG 737 and so many others simply because it isn't me.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

With today's sale at Captain Sim I'll probably buy some stuff that will end up in the bin, but the complete C-130 pack for a 10'er is impossible to resist for an old Hercules rider :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Exquisite timing for this thread to trend while there's a sale on at Captain Sim....

Bought the C130, hated it, dumped it.

Got suckered into buying the B757 by a sale hated it, dumped it.

Caveat emptor

ngxu_banner.png

Interesting comments about the start state. If they fixed those issues would it make you more apt to fly it or is it "ain't my kinda plane" anyway?

Others seem to get around the start issue (or at least I assume they do), so it's probably something I'm doing goofy. No matter how you cut it, though, it is touchy about the state it starts in.

IF, I fixed that problem, and IF I could get my throttle quad to do cutoff so I could do a start without having to pop up the throttle panel and move them with the mouse and IF I could get my multi-panel to at least mostly work with the AP (thus cutting down the need for yet another pop up) it might move into my occasional use hangar. The FADEC would still probably bug me (I'm a stick shift kinda guy IRL too :rolleyes: ), as would a few other things, but yeah... I'd probably fly it a bit.

How's that for a heavily qualified answer!

Scott

Edit: - meant to add that no matter what, it's right at the edge of what I want to fly. I'm a hands-on GA guy who likes to manage his own power, thus the FADEC comment. You tube guys are probably chuckling, as in your world, the Mustang's FADEC is pretty primitive by comparison.

S.

A few observations:

It is interesting what you can walk away with from this thread (both simmers and developers).

What is not mentioned can be just as important as what is mentioned. I see the CS727, 757 mentioned a lot but no so of the 777.... and with the sale today mmmmm.

Developers should take note one what was mentioned about them - is it their actual add-on or perhaps the customer support or the manuals.

Interestingly, I don't recall any simmer regretful of a price of an add-on. It was more if it worked or did not work in their eyes.

Aircraft are mentioned more than scenery, utilities, etc.

Just find this all very interesting.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Everything that doesn't work properly is too expensive. As for developers, I don't think they care much at all. Most of them have a take it or leave it attitude, so no wonder so few of them make it big time. This is a really small market and word gets around pretty quick.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!