Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

Not really an fs product but,

Windows 8!!!!

Have to agree there :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I am certainly surprised to see the Flight1 Mustang on the "5+ times" list, and maybe even the CS 707. The former is a superb piece of kit, and the 707 is generally acknowledged as the best CS product (although maybe that says more about CS itself than the actual plane).

As for regrettable purchasing decisions, I have to mention the CS 737-200. Whilst the 3D model and VC are excellent, I am rather disappointed with the flight dynamics. It just doesn't seem to behave itself properly when I am hand flying it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The totals so far: (only products that were mentioned 2x or more are listed, because the entire list of products with single mentions is rather...long *Note* Also keep in mind, some of these numbers would be higher but many posts listed an entire developer rather then a specific product, so those types of posts weren't counted)

Mentioned 2 Times

=================

A2A Accufeel

AFS Design A350

Air Hauler

Aerosoft Mega Airport Heathrow

BlackBox Simulation Airbus

CLS A340

CLS 747-200/300

Dirk Stuck Design Fieseler Storch 156C

Dreamfleet Dakota

Eaglesoft Citation X

FScene

FSD Avanti

FSD Commander 115TC

FTX YSTW Tamworth Airport

ImagineSim KATL Atlanta

Iris C-27J

Iris Silence Twister

Just Flight Around the World in 80 Flights

FlightsimLabs Concorde X

Just Flight DC-6

Just Flight Comet Jetliner

Just Flight XP800

Lionheart Epic LT

Lionheart Epic Victory

MegasceneryEarth Florida

My Traffic X

Nementh Designs EC-120

Orbx NA

Orbx AU Package

Pro-ATC

Pro Flight Emulator

PMDG JS4100

Ultimate Traffic 2

Wilco Citation X

XPax

Mentioned 3 Times

=================

Aerosoft DA-20 Katana

Aerosim 787

CLS A330

FeelThere ERJ Series

FOC Flight Operations Center

FSTramp

MegasceneryEarth California

PMDG 747

Scenery Tech Landclass

Vertigo Studios Stearman

Wilco A380

Wilco A400M

Mentioned 4 Times

=================

Captain Sim C-130

Feelthere EJets 170/190

FSGenesis

FSPassengers

Iris Diamond DA-40

Iris F-22

Qualitywings 757

Mentioned 5+ Times

==================

Abacus A380 7

Abacus 787 11

Aerosoft AirbusX 6

Ariane 737 20

Captain Sim 707 5

Captain Sim 727 14

Captain Sim 757 22

Captain Sim 767 13

Captain Sim 777 7

Flight1 Mustang 6

Just Flight DC-3 6

Orbx Lancair 6

PMDG 737 NGX 5

REX 7

Traffic X/360 5

Wilco A320 Series 9

Wilco 737 5

Wilco 777 6

Wilco CRJ Next Generation 8

I hope some developers will take a long hard look at this thread, these numbers and their respective feedback, and figure for every person that posted how many are there that didn't post?

Interesting list. I have to say I find it funny what I read about the Captainsim 757 most of all. It's actually a great product in FS9 all the way around. Here's my FS9 contrast list to the FSX list above:

Great Add-Ons in FS9 based on the FSX list:

Aerosoft Mega Airport Heathrow

CLS A340

CLS 747-200/300

Dreamfleet Products (All)

Eaglesoft Products (All products. The Citation X is a great add-on in FS9)

Imaginsim KATL

Lionheart Epic LT

Ultimate Traffic

Wilco Citation X

-----------------------------------------

Aerosoft DA-20 Katana

CLS A330

Feelthere ERJ Series

PMDG 744

Captainsim C-130

Feelthere EJets 170/190

FSGenesis

Qualitywings 757

Captainsim 757

REX

Wilco/Feelthere A320/330/340 series

Wilco/Feelthere 737

Why are these very same add-ons dogs in FSX??? :Thinking: I just got back into flying the Captainsim 757 and find it outstanding in all aspects outside of it's inability to be flow at higher sim acceleration rates. The looks, FDE, avionics, features, and sounds are right up there with the best. It's amazing this same experience is not shared in FSX. To add to this further if people are complaining about both Qualitywings and Captainsim concerning the 757 then there's basically no options for a good 757 in FSX...

I guess the moral of the story is developers like Captainsim might want to rethink their gravitation to FSX. Maybe they should go back to developing for FS9 since they can't get FSX development right. It makes no since an add-on like the 757 by CLS elicits a very different experience in these two sims. Go back to the what your used to and what works.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I only had the trial of EBF and never used it since. Never used FSC 9 again either. ProATCX has an excellent flight planner and moving map.

We

I am certainly surprised to see the Flight1 Mustang on the "5+ times" list, and maybe even the CS 707. The former is a superb piece of kit, and the 707 is generally acknowledged as the best CS product (although maybe that says more about CS itself than the actual plane).

Well I think amount of times mentioned on that list has a lot to do with how much the addon has sold.

For example AFS Design A350, I can't really even think payware with more problems/worse quality than that one (I had very bad experience with AFS Design), yet it was mentioned only 2 times because not too many people have bought it compared to stuff like Captain Sim 757.

With FSX and the extreme complexity of VC design, most developers simply do not have the expertise nor the time( in terms of money) to justify the high fidelity that we expect these days for $50.00. The best example is PMDG, which requires a good two years to bring a plane out. And these guys have years of experience!

So, it really comes down to either someone creating a tool that separates the three items, vc, flight modeling, and exterior design, so that people could mix and match in order to fix some planes that may not be ok. This is what made FS2004 an "easier" platform to work with.

Now that many part of an aircraft are proprietary, it's either all or nothing. I can think of many add ons that I would love to mix and match for FSX. Would I want Leonardo MD-80 with another VC? You get the idea....

The number of developers is shrinking, and in some ways it may be better to have two or three good ones rather than 20 mediocre ones.

So far, we can't complain. After all, if a pilot spends his entire career flying a few planes, he's a happy pilot.

That's the way I see my flying these days. I have my three or four favorites( from short flying to long hauls) and, depending on my mood, I go flying very happily. One more thing, Is my flying experience better if I fly the B737 rather than the LHmd80?

No. I can barely tell the difference between the two.

The one thing that I look for in any airplane is smooth pitch control. This is something that the better developers have finally nailed, and so we I fly manually without the fear of losing control if when I push or pull the yoke a bit too much.

tc

With FSX and the extreme complexity of VC design, most developers simply do not have the expertise nor the time( in terms of money) to justify the high fidelity that we expect these days for $50.00. The best example is PMDG, which requires a good two years to bring a plane out. And these guys have years of experience!

So, it really comes down to either someone creating a tool that separates the three items, vc, flight modeling, and exterior design, so that people could mix and match in order to fix some planes that may not be ok. This is what made FS2004 an "easier" platform to work with.

Now that many part of an aircraft are proprietary, it's either all or nothing. I can think of many add ons that I would love to mix and match for FSX. Would I want Leonardo MD-80 with another VC? You get the idea....

The number of developers is shrinking, and in some ways it may be better to have two or three good ones rather than 20 mediocre ones.

So far, we can't complain. After all, if a pilot spends his entire career flying a few planes, he's a happy pilot.

That's the way I see my flying these days. I have my three or four favorites( from short flying to long hauls) and, depending on my mood, I go flying very happily. One more thing, Is my flying experience better if I fly the B737 rather than the LHmd80?

No. I can barely tell the difference between the two.

The one thing that I look for in any airplane is smooth pitch control. This is something that the better developers have finally nailed, and so we I fly manually without the fear of losing control if when I push or pull the yoke a bit too much.

tc

Whenever I dive into FSX this is what will make it cheaper for me. The PMDG 737, 777, MD11, and Aerosoft AirbusX may be the only aircraft I'll actually purchase in that class. GA will be RealAir and Caranado. Most of my purchases will be scenery. There seems to be far fewer quality aircraft for FSX that it was for FS9 in contrast to the number of options out there that purchasing for FSX will be rather simple.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The PMDG 737, 777, MD11, and Aerosoft AirbusX may be the only aircraft I'll actually purchase in that class. GA will be RealAir and Caranado. Most of my purchases will be scenery.

That's the approach I'm taking as I work through my re-install on my new rig - am trying to be very selective and stick to only the five-star stuff. RealAir, A2A, the 4X Katana, PMDG, the Dodosim B206. Maybe one or two casual options, but even there, I'm not sure. I'm hoping to get to know the good stuff really well and leave it at that. This time around, I'm also trying to be very selective with scenery - concentrating on my local area, since I tend to do short flights in real-world weather. Again, by taking this approach I narrow things down and make things easier on my wallet.

FSPassengers is my most regretted. Overpriced and in the end all I wanted was cabin announcements. Probs my fault for not researching it enough =(.

I love FSPassengers and its cargo cousin, AirHauler..both very good programs.

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

We

Well I think amount of times mentioned on that list has a lot to do with how much the addon has sold.

For example AFS Design A350, I can't really even think payware with more problems/worse quality than that one (I had very bad experience with AFS Design), yet it was mentioned only 2 times because not too many people have bought it compared to stuff like Captain Sim 757.

Very true, and also let's not forget to take into account the reasons why people regretted buying a certain add-on. I'm fairly sure that if you only took those complaining about poor quality into consideration the NGX among others wouldn't be on that list.

The thread is about purchases we regretted making for whatever reason, but posts where no reason is specified should simply be ignored I think.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

My recent regretful purchase was Carenado SR22 GTSX Turbo. The performance of this airplane on my computer is very very poor. I get less FPS than in NGX, which of course is unacceptable for such a small airplane that is not as complex as NGX. The reason is their G1000 which kills the performance. I have several other airplanes with G1000 (not Carenado) and the performance is completely normal. If I could I'd take my money back on this one.

My recent regretful purchase was Carenado SR22 GTSX Turbo. The performance of this airplane on my computer is very very poor. I get less FPS than in NGX, which of course is unacceptable for such a small airplane that is not as complex as NGX. The reason is their G1000 which kills the performance. I have several other airplanes with G1000 (not Carenado) and the performance is completely normal. If I could I'd take my money back on this one.

For the same reason the Carenado CT182M.

David

Well, I don't regret most of my purchases, and there have been far too many! :-)

There are some I regret but they aren't that costly. An interesting plane by an unknown developer that doesn't cost much. Try it, don't like it, don't use it again.

But, I guess I have to say that I regret expanding my Orbx universe into Europe. I've only got the first region and the first payware airport, but even after the updates, I'm still not impressed. I know it's a new crew and they've got to learn, but the price is the same for the incredible scenery I have from them for NA and Australia. The textures just aren't as convincing. I don't have that "this is almost real" feeling I get from the other regions.

There are a couple of Aussie airports from a particular developer of theirs that I regret too as they simply cannot be flown at the same settings as all my other airports and I'm not willing to adjust settings for a couple of airports (and I'm not talking their big airports like YMMV).

I won't be getting anymore Europe products, but sure am looking forward to SAK that should be out soon. Alex's work on the river masks alone makes that region look really good so far from pics.

• Upvote 1

ORBX - FTX England... It is just a joke,

FSDT Vancouver - Performance is still awful, even after 1.1

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I pulled my order history from Flight1 during my last build and was shocked at how long it was. Here is my list of purchases I'd like to have back:

1. CS 727 - the original version before FSX. Plane was unflyable. Intertia was so poorly modeled the plane never went where you pointed it. And for a plane that pilots would praise for being able to fly with their fingertips - that was not as "real as it gets.."

2. Justflight - Viscout - the VC textures looked like those original VCs in FS2000...real shame. I was hoping for a better version of this very successful turboprop plane that I flew on as a kid in Canada.

3. FeelThere Legacay - first, FeelThere seems to have made it a company policy to not spend any time with night lighting. Like the variable lights in the PMDG NGX or MD11, forget it in the Legacy. You get glow in the dark panels that completely destroy your night vision. Only thing more annoying is their justification for not spending the time to do good night lighting was one picture of pilots with the dome light (likely a promo shot set up in a simulator for dramatic effect) on from Airliners.net and say it's pilot preference. I don't know any commercial pilot who lands with the dome light on - just like I don't know anyone who drives around with their dome light on.

This plane was also almost impossible to fly. Could never get the bird into a stable cruise. Too fast, too slow, too fast, too slow.

4. Alphasim - just terrible qualty planes. All of them.

5. CLS DC-10. Ugliest VC of a major jetliner.