Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

You may not have noticed the date of my post, but it was half a year ago. You also may not have noticed that there has been a patch since then that added parking spaces and AG. There's nothing wrong with my install. I don't know what makes you think the PR area is large around this airport, but if it is, it is not really a noticeable improvement, at least for me, as it is at all of my AU and NA airports. I don't have any other UK airports to compare. I still regret this buy, unlike most of my other Orbx scenery.

Agree with you on REXE and Carenado. Don't have those others.

Sorry, I didn't notice It was that old :P  I bought EGHR when released and can't remember any problems with AG and parking spaces, haven't patched it either(missed that one). I didn't say the PR area is large only I said it's larger than all the other Orbx airports for UK.

I reacted when you said "And I don't see hand-placed autogen or PR scenery in the immediate area, so basically it seems to be the airport itself." There's alot more than just the airport itself.... I can see your dissapointment in small PR areas and I was also a little dissapointed when John Venema announced that the UK aiports would have smaller PR areas than usual and he didn't like that some devs almost turned them into mini regions(takes alot of resources and time so from a business point of view I can understand this decision).

Also not all the NA airports have huge PR areas, many are about the same size as this one.....

PR?

"Photo Real"

Scott

fwerff, on 27 May 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

I know I'm going to get some disbelieve over this one, but for me one of the regrets is for EZDok...

It's just to complicated to get full use of it; I don't like how it messes up my key assignments and last of all although it works with TrackIR, it's hard enough getting your mouse on a clickspot in the VC as it is (keeping your head steady), with EZDok it becomes even harder (though not impossible).

You can turn off all the head movement stuff and still use the cameras if you turn off the red buttons. Or you can right click on them to lower the effect and turn the large dial. In the Rnd dialog you have to click the EDIT button to turn the dial. I turn all of mine waaaaay down. The effect is immediate. Also, you can use other keys than the default...Options->Define Keys and Buttons

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I know I'm going to get some disbelieve over this one, but for me one of the regrets is for EZDok...

It's just to complicated to get full use of it; I don't like how it messes up my key assignments and last of all although it works with TrackIR, it's hard enough getting your mouse on a clickspot in the VC as it is (keeping your head steady), with EZDok it becomes even harder (though not impossible).

Furthermore:

- CS757/767 (anoying bugs and shortcomings)

- Aerosoft EHAM (though it's my home airport and there's no alternative, it's way below the quality I've come to expect from Aerosoft. The promised update has never come).

- Aerosoft F.O.C. (to complex to use)

Hi Frank - the key to EZDOK is to clear all (or most) of your view settings in the FSX controller settings.  The main ones are any that use the 'S' or 'A' keys.  While this is a pain it gives EZDOK control over those key strokes.

The next release of our SkyPilot software FSXAssist will automatically clear those for you when it detects that EZDOK is installed.

Cheers

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Thats a shame. My system isn't the best, but I still get exceptionally good frames.

Have you done all the tweaks necessary to gain performance?

Sorry for late response.

Yes, I tweaked my system to the max, very good and smooth stutterless perfomance with default planes and default scenery + UTX + REX + GEX. Over FTX England I have better frames (70-80fps with dense autogen) than over default Germany + UTX + GEX (50-60fps dense). With tweaked NGX (disabled copilot displays, low fps captain displays, low res VC, etc.) I get ~30fps with very annoying stutters. It's "playable" ofcourse, but I got used to constant smooth 40-50fps in flight and 30fps on final approach with PA320, so it's still a no-go for me. :(

At least I tweaked QW757 to get 40fps in flight, so it's a winner regarding non-default planes.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

PFE Deluxe with it clunky setup procedure

1 PFE    I agree....takes longer to get a flight ready than it does in real life.

2. dbs studio Airport GPS.... Has an extremely awkward activation process (you could get into Fort Knox easier)  Worked for a few weeks and then quit. The support, if you want to call it that, consisted of telling me the same thing three times even though I reported trying that in my first request for help. It now resides in the software scrap heap

3. FS Dreamteam Flight Services X. My greatest disappointment.  Perhaps I missed something along the way but I cannot find out which add-on aircraft they do (or do not, either list is good). I have loaded several add-ons and GSX has not worked for any of them. The users manual covers "converting" aircraft but is not really very cjlear about the purpose.

Any modifications require a pretty good knowledge of editing .cfg/.ini files. Hey!!! I want to load up and fly, not pore over a manual trying to figure out how to make it work.

Conclusion: When it works it is really fun to watch, but that doesn't happen often enough for me to get excited about it.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

And finally, the PMDG 737 NGX ... nah, just kidding. :Just Kidding:

I would think ur a madman if you actually said that was true... :P

Ahh yes,I forgot. Windows 8 ;)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Traffic 360 from Just Flight.

I loved TrafficX, it hit the right balance for me between eye candy, realism and performance.  But T360 gave me an airport crammed with stationary aircraft and virtually no movements, and a totally inaccurate mix of liveries (like 90% of planes at the gates being from a single airline). When they did fly, half the time they'd be flying with passenger doors open and other nonsense like that.

I may have posted this earlier in the thread, but I'm posting this again today because after waiting for seven months for a patch to fix some of these glaring flaws, today is the day that I've finally given up on it and reinstalled TrafficX.  All Just Flight will say is "we're working on a service pack", which they seem to trot out every three months or so.

Well, finally picked up something I regret: the new Golden Age Simulations Stinson SR8.

Looks pretty enough on the outside, but the VC is shockingly low-quality; lots of visible edge joins, overly simplistic textures, especially around the dashboard. The polished walnut reflection effect is not convincing, either, though a nice idea.

Beyond that, the engine idle sound has the all-too-common "tick" sound that is created by a bad sample edit (not at the wave zero-crossing point). The transition between engine sounds at different speeds are also artificially abrupt, not at all blended. The looping of the engine sounds is also too apparent.

No sounds for the switches in the cockpit, which makes using them difficult. Not even default FSX quality here.

On my system, the plane has to be reloaded via alt-A-A before it will start, another annoyance. And then the comms radios cut out, soon after takeoff, and can only be revived by yet another alt-A-A (yes, I have the generator on).

The text in the details for the aircraft is cut-and-paste, and overflows the buffer size in FSX in the Main Menu, so gets cut off mid-sentence.

I'd have said well, that's what you get for $20/US, but then compare with antsairplanes' recent T-28! Night and day difference.

Generally a real lack of attention to detail here, too bad. Will keep it in the hope there might be some fixes down the line, but.... we'll see.

... Epic LT Lionheart

^^ This. ^^

The Lionheart Epic LT ranks as one of the two most disappointing purchases I've ever made for FSX, the other being TrafficX.  The model looks good, though the exterior textures are too low.  The VC is good, and looks great at night, but in the daylight literally everything in the cabin has an almost overwhelming shiny glare when the sun hits at certain angles, including the seats, and even the carpet!  There are no 3D buttons on any of the G1000 bezels, but there are 3D buttons and switches everywhere else, some of which have no function.

Even as payware I could live with all that, if it weren't for the flight model, which I discovered was ported in directly from the default King Air!  I paid $25 for this?  Also, it has a hokey auto-airbrake which may, or may not deploy as you descend (even though the real LT doesn't actually have an airbrake).  There is no indication of it anywhere on the panel, and there is no control or switch for it, either.  Sometimes it's deployed - without you knowing it - when you take off, and you're left wondering why you can't pick up speed after you've cleaned up, until you remind yourself that you have to retract the phantom airbrake that you never extended in the first place, using whatever key you have assigned for it...

On the G1000s, the TAS tape displays GS, and the oil temp never rises above 30 degrees, no matter how hard you work the engine.  There's no option to display NAV2 on the PFD, and there is no TCAS for the middle display, which is inexcusable considering the performance of this aircraft, and that even the default C172 G1000 has TCAS, though with no advisories.  Still...

I've written the author about this long ago.  Though he acknowledged some of the quirks, he actually disagreed about the TAS/GS display and said that was working the way it was meant, as was the extremely low oil temps under operation.  I left him alone after that.

$25 is a lot to pay for an aircraft that has these kinds of issues and uses one of the default aircraft airfiles.

Captain sim 757- * sigh* this one broke my heart from how buggy and just unpleasant it is to fly. It's like flying a bees nest... Really buggy

Captain sim 777-thank God PMDG is coming with a T7 soon. This was a real let down. At the time it was a beta, I excused the money grab. Now, there is no excuse, No matter how many patches they come out with. I don't need to go into detail.

Abacus 787- Lasted 12 minutes in my Hard drive. Now it's Iike that bad dream that you can't remember all that well.

As2012-Let me explain. Compared to opus fsx's cloud depiction AS doesn't come close to realistic. All clouds are either fat cumulus clouds or crappy looking stratiform for fog or overcast. On the other hand, Opus isn't as accurate with winds aloft or temperatures aloft as active sky is. So to me every weather engine as a major flaw. Call me picky, whatever.

The almighty G1000s from Carenado. I was done with them after their tbm850.

QW 757- You can take this thing into low earth orbit. Unrealistic engine and flight characteristics. But otherwise it is fun to do VATSIM events in.

Best purchases

Opusfsx

Ngx

UTx USA

My FSDT sceneries

Fs build

REX's textures not so much the weather engine.

Fs2crew NGX &lvlD

And many more

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

The Lionheart Epic LT ranks as one of the two most disappointing purchases I've ever made for FSX

I fly this one quite a bit for practice and use it for the MS-RTWR... I don't understand the criticism.

I am currently using the Epic LT v1.9... it could be you have a different (earlier) version, but I am going to comment on a few of your points.

The model looks good, though the exterior textures are too low.

I don't understand the "too low"... looks great to me.

Even as payware I could live with all that, if it weren't for the flight model, which I discovered was ported in directly from the default King Air!

Are you referring to the .air file (two different file sizes)?  The aircraft.cfg does not appear this way.

it has a hokey auto-airbrake which may, or may not deploy as you descend (even though the real LT doesn't actually have an airbrake).

Can't say I have ever experienced this...

until you remind yourself that you have to retract the phantom airbrake that you never extended in the first place, using whatever key you have assigned for it...

Using the spoiler key has no effect on airspeed.

On the G1000s, the TAS tape displays GS

Ok good catch here... I agree if it says "TAS" it should display TAS.  I never noticed this until your post.

That said, TAS isn't something I am paying attention to (as I said, I never noticed).  Not really necessary as I am not filing a Flight Plan.  Since I have IAS and GS, that is what I am using in FSX.  So now I have two places I can read GS.

and the oil temp never rises above 30 degrees

Sitting on the ground at Wadi Halfa, Sudan (HSSW 42°C) oil temp was up to 32°C.

But really... before this... I never looked... or cared for that matter.

Remember... it's a game. :)

Yes... I suppose sitting on the ground at a Desert Airport during the day, it would seem reasonable to get higher than 32°C... but not a deal-breaker for me.

There's no option to display NAV2 on the PFD

On my version there is... and it works.

TCAS for the middle display, which is inexcusable considering the performance of this aircraft, and that even the default C172 G1000 has TCAS, though with no advisories.  Still...

Inexcusable?  Wow...

Again... I never noticed.  And now that I know... I really don't care that there is one on the C172.  I guess I am not expecting 100% fidelity from a game.

Now... my shorts would be in a real twist if I went to say... Simcom... and paid $10,000+ for a week (if they had it) an Epic LT simulator... and there was no TCAS display.

I consider it a very nice add-on.

One other thing... there are sales sometimes around Christmas.  So a good thing to watch for.