Sign in to follow this  
FearfulAC130

New FSX Rig Help

Hello, I am a bit new to the forums. I am just requesting help for I am in search of a new FSX gaming computer. My current rig is good enough to run FS9 at max with addons, however I was a little dumbfounded when I purchased FSX. My pc can only run the bare minimum scenery with some payware at horrifying FPS. So, I believe it is time for a new rig. I have been searching around myself for good computers, but just wanted some help and possibly some good ideas for me. My budget is $800 which is a bit slim, but I do not require a mouse, keyboard or monitor. If possible just leave a link in your post of the rig. Thank you in advance!

Not sure as to where in the world you are, or whether you intend to buy a prebuilt, or build your own, but yes $800 is a little slim. However, a decent rig is definitely doable if you built your own, especially if you are stateside.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thank you Word Not Allowed for your help. I might actually consider building my own. I am a bit new to this and only helped build one computer. Could you maybe steer me in the right direction with choosing good parts in my price range? Thank you once again.

I see nothing wrong with going the 2500k route. In fact, as you can see by my specs, i have the 2600k (same as the 2500k with HT that you don't need for FSX) and i have no intentions of upgrading until something better than IB comes along.

Rick Hobbs

Ok, thanks I have taken some of your advice and got a little list going. There will probably be some incompatibilities, but it is a start. Here it is:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

EVGA P67 SLI Micro 120-SB-E672-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188081

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412759

500GB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=A4580400&ST=SO_Storage&dgc=ST&cid=248711&lid=4318543&acd=58,,901q5c14135

COOLER MASTER Seidon 120M RL-S12M-24PK-R1 Water Cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103179

I already own a Mid-Size tower and an OS. This leaves me at $690. If you could just tell me what you think and any changes that I should make. Thank you.

You don't need the i7-2600K for FSX. Get the i7-2500K, save $50, and put that toward a GTX570. The 2500K overclocks just as easily, and you'll have a somewhat better graphics card as a bonus.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

My budget is $800 which is a bit slim, but I do not require a mouse, keyboard or monitor.

With your existing PC, what power supply do you have in there?

Is your PC case able to take an ATX/E-ATX systemboard?

You could save a lot of case just by replacing the motherboard/CPU/Memory and graphics card only and keep the rest like your hard drive, PC case, possibly your power supply if its powerful enough.. Also, might be worth looking at what you can sell your motherboard and CPU/memory for on ebay as a bundle, that could claw back some cash.

Alright, Thank you everyone for all your help. I will be purchasing my parts around Christmas time. And Word Not Allowed, I will definitely use your guide for setting up my rig. Thank you again

If you can stretch it a bit, up your ram to 2x4 Gig to give yourself a bit of safety factor.

Rick Hobbs

I already own a Mid-Size tower and an OS. This leaves me at $690. If you could just tell me what you think and any changes that I should make. Thank you.

For less than $700 that's a nice system! Some excellent recommendations so far and hope others looking for a system on a budget sees this too. I have just one or two suggestions.... 500GB will be eaten up pretty fast with Windows, FSX, pictures of your family and some addons. You can easily get a 1TB HDD for under $100. You are paying $64 for the 500GB and you can easily double the GBs for a few more dollars. In fact, I just got a 1TB HDD SATA III 6GB's from the local Micro Center for $74. As I recall they had 2TB HDD's going for around $110.

You will also need a sound card, speakers, and joystick. You can find some great deals on E-Bay or Amazon.com.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Alright, thank you Word Not Allowed and Wanabflyer, I will definitely upgrade to 2x4 Gb. And thanks for the tip Jim, I will look into a higher capacity Hard Drive. I do also already own a sound card, speakers, joystick and all that other stuff, all I really need is just to upgrade the core of the computer. Thanks.