Sign in to follow this  
mrchrsrider

aviation advice

Hello all,

Let me give you a little background before I post this topic. I am currently an flight sim enthusiast and aviation enthusiast all around. I am in college for a dual associates AAS (Associates of Applied Science) and an AS (associates of science) professional pilot degree. I am concerned about the future of aviation and have been reading all over for months and decided to post on this forum because most of you have been aviation enthusiasts far more years than I have, so I am seeking advice. I am wondering if I continue to pursue my dream of flying whether or not I will be able to land a job flying something. I have decided I do not care much about pay or where I live haha obviously because I chose this career, but at that are there even any pilot jobs out there to have in this day and age regaurdless of pay? I just wanted to ask this question to try and get some feedback from those with far more aviation experience than I have and from an international community. So I guess to break it down

1. With the training I am currently recieving ( Commercial License, Instrument Rating, MEI, CFI, CFII with approx 250-300 hours) are there any other options in the United States, or anywhere else I can get a job flying?

2. What do some of you with aviation experience recommend my path be in the field?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help a fellow pilot

Chris

I have decided I do not care much about pay

If that's your attitude then we don't need you in our industry. We are the safest mode of transportation because of the many hours we put into training and our passion for doing our jobs well. This should be compensated appropriately. I chose my airline because we were compensated fairly and had great benefits. You should the same as well.

1. With the training I am currently recieving ( Commercial License, Instrument Rating, MEI, CFI, CFII with approx 250-300 hours) are there any other options in the United States, or anywhere else I can get a job flying?

Does the school you are going to hire graduates back to teach in the program? That would be the best way to become an instructor because you are comfortable with the airplanes and the curriculum. If they don't have one I would look at the big flight schools at Deer Valley airport in Arizona. They are hiring all the time and since you will have an MEI you will be able to build that coveted muti time. Once you get your ATP then you will be able to be hired by the airlines.

thanks for the reply, I did not mean I do not care about pay in a bad way so let me rephrase...... I love flying so much that pay is not a big issue for me. Thats how I meant to phrase that, I know with the amount of hours us as pilots put into flying and safety that we definitely deserve to get paid that way. However everyone knows you don't make much out of the gates.

First. What Chris said. Second. What Chris said. Third...

Forget your AS degree idea. Get a 4 year or forget it. An AS will do you no good. A masters is even better.

Go get on at a big flight school as a CFI and build your hours from there to 1500 and 500 or better multi. Then get your ATP.

By then you should be golden for a Regional Airline. Id look into ExpressJet, GoJet, Air Wisconsin. Look for regional airlines where you can upgrade to captain within 2 years or less or stay away from it. Career trap.

Once captain for a regional. Set a goal of 4,000 Total Time. Within that youll get your needed multi jet time PIC. That is what you are after.

The above plan is your fast track to a professional pilot career.

Keep track of the industry hiring at www.airlinepilotcentral.com and www.climbto350.com

Captain Mark Lang

ATP, CFI, CFII, CFMEI

DA-10, BE-350, RA-390

Line Captain Regional Airline

Pilot Recruiter Regional Airline

Respectfully,

Jet

As mentioned above, get a bachelors. I work at a big flight school and can say there are several places hiring! We lose quite a few of our CFI's to the regionals. If you really don't care about the lifestyle and stuff, look into Great Lakes. Heads up though, they are tough with a somewhat high washout rate. Skywest has been hiring a lot and that would be an awesome regional to get on with. And then there is foreign flying. If you REALLY don't care, look to china. They hire American pilots like crazy and with lower hours and amazing pay/benefits. Upgrade time over there is ridiculously little. As sad as it is going foreign, a lot of Americans are because of the new (retarded) 1500 hr rule and a lot of places are starting to set their minimum hiring requirements that high now. To build the time, I'd recommend being a CFI at a well known school/university.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Why is the 1500 hour rule retarded? There is a reason for it, and a good one at that.

Respectfully,

Jet

Wow, first off I appreciate all of you who have taken time to respond to this post. I was very un sure of where I was headed and with your knowledge and responses I am starting to get a good idea so I appreciate that a lot and thanks.

So as far as being a CFI roughly how long did it take some of you guys to get the 1500 mins as a CFI? If you don't mind me asking.

I went the very slow route and taught only about 50 hours a month and flew a King Air. If you work at a busy flight school you can get all the hours you need in about 2 years. Don't worry how long it will take though, enjoy the ride. Because you will have 10 years of hating your life moving up the ranks of an airline.

Wow, first off I appreciate all of you who have taken time to respond to this post. I was very un sure of where I was headed and with your knowledge and responses I am starting to get a good idea so I appreciate that a lot and thanks.

So as far as being a CFI roughly how long did it take some of you guys to get the 1500 mins as a CFI? If you don't mind me asking.

I finished my CFIs at a local mom and pop flight school. Went to work for them and logged about 30 hours a month like Chris did. I then went down to Florida and signed on with the then Delta Connection Comair Academy as one of their CFI instructors. Meaning I taught CFI.

I logged 100 hours a month and it took me about 8 months to get to my 1200 hours. I then skipped the regionals as they were not hiring. I became a freight dog flying PA 31s and Cessna Caravans. I logged sometimes 110 hours a month as we were quarterly limited single pilot 135. I was able to log over 3000 hours there during the time I was there and I was able to gather valuable insights on all kinds of weather from icing to thunderstorms and avoidence tactics there of.

I minored in meteorology and put that to good use every day. So bottom line is hours and education. That said, there is STILL nothing that can replace learning from senior pilot who have been through a lot. They will tell you the secrets. IF of course you have a willingess to learn and you let them see that.

Keep this in mind as well there is an addage that will keep you safe. There are two types of pilots. Old pilots and Bold pilots. BUT there are no Old Bold pilots.

Good luck.

Respectfully,

Jet

Jet,

Thank you for your insight, It will help me out tremendously in the coming years. I am defintiely going to pursue my bachelors degree and eventually my masters. Right now from all of your comments I realize that it is definitely possible to make it with passion and dedication, and I definitely have the passion and dedication to make it. I am definitely all for advice from older more experienced pilots and that is one of the reasons I have posted on here. If you guys can think of anything else feel free to PM me as I will do the same if that is ok to ask advice in the coming weeks and months? If any of you can think of any other tips or advice please let me know as I know knowledge and free advice is hard to come by.

Thanks,

Chris

I love flying so much that pay is not a big issue for me.

This is actually pretty common with young people starting out. You are pursuing your dreams at all costs and not thinking about the future, you just want to fly.

Life changes, you get older, you meet a partner, you'll need a car, you'll buy a house, partner gets pregnant. etc etc etc and you will need money, lots of money :mellow:

In 10 to 20 years, you will look back on your life and think how things used to be so much different when you were young and starting out.

My best advice.....It is not the destination, but the journey, so enjoy every step of the way.

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane

If you have further questions you can PM me anytime and I can help you out as well. I am a 121 pilot and sim instructor for my airline so I should be able to answer about 25% of your questions. :P I still fly a King Air on the side so I can help with the corporate questions as well.

Why is the 1500 hour rule retarded? There is a reason for it, and a good one at that.

There's not even time to write all the reasons why, nor is this the topic for it but some quick big ones, 1) It will NOT make better pilots, and 2) it WILL hurt the airlines and economy (economy because you would be blown away at learning the amount of pilots going over seas to skip the 1500 rule) The reason for the rule is because some of the passengers on that Colgan crash were related to people who have the money to do what they want. And that was one of the changes they fought (bought) for.

Too long ha ha! If you get your CFI, make sure you research the schools that are hiring to understand how their flight program works. Some schools may be big schools with lots of students but do a lot of sim time which will prolong your flight hours. Find somewhere where the CFI's are flying constantly. We have a place out here where the CFI's are hitting their 8 hours a day of flight time!

Also, you should understand that you CAN still find a job without being a CFI (like posted above). Not everyone wants to be a CFI but not many know there are flying jobs that will get you hours and importantly, the experience that would take the place of needing to be a CFI.

My best advice.....It is not the destination, but the journey.

As odd as that sounds, it is incredibly true. I didn't fully understand it's meaning until I finished flight training. Now that training is done, I miss it which is odd because (as you probably know) flight training can get old. But enjoy it as much as you can. :smile:

If you have further questions you can PM me anytime and I can help you out as well. I can help with the corporate questions as well.

Is that an open invitation, Chris? I am way out from a corporate job but I do have questions about the corporate side of things. I work at a busy corporate airport but don't have the right job position to get to know and ask the business pilots here.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

2) it WILL hurt the airlines and economy (economy because you would be blown away at learning the amount of pilots going over seas to skip the 1500 rule)

This has never been a problem before. The whole history of airlines it has been high minimums and even required military time. There was never a lack of pilots. Only until the 2000's has this hiring with less then 3000 hours been around. Most people would flight instruct for 2 years then fly cargo for 3 years before they even thought of moving to a regional let alone a legacy. Now people view regionals as stepping stones to the legacies and with it we have seen a degradation of wages because of people not caring about the wage and looking at their time instead.

Is that an open invitation, Chris? I am way out from a corporate job but I do have questions about the corporate side of things. I work at a busy corporate airport but don't have the right job position to get to know and ask the business pilots here.

Yes, it is an invitation to anyone that would like to chat more. You may be closer to a corporate job than you think. I was hired with only about 900 hours.