Sign in to follow this  
por930

Limited fuel range

I have just reloaded my 747X and starting to get back into flights. One thing I noticed when I tried my usual longish distance flight RJAA-YSSY, I keep getting the FMC message, "Insufficient Fuel". I always use the PMDG load/fuel manager and have just embarked upon using Topcat, which recommends much less fuel. On this flight, I had an no cargo/Pax and full fuel tanks, no weather turned on, cruise set at 370, so my range should be approx 7000NM. Stepping though the FMC, I seem to run out of fuel some 3553NM. I have attached the load manager screen.I used to be able to fly YSSY-SAEZ, with limited pax and cargo of course(due to no LR version)

So, I have missed some obvious point that eludes me!!

Geoff Bryce

A problem that many have with this message!

'Insufficient fuel' is only caused by the remaining fuel becoming lower than the FMC PERF INIT RESERVES value that you have specified.

HTH

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

If you read through the manual and use the fuel planner which is found under the cruise performance section, give that a try and see what happens.

A problem that many have with this message!

'Insufficient fuel' is only caused by the remaining fuel becoming lower than the FMC PERF INIT RESERVES value that you have specified.

Sure, that is true, but then again, he also said he ran out of fuel after about 3553 nautical miles. Narita to Sydney according to the Great Circle Mapper is 4211 nautical miles, so he ran out roughly 700 miles short.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Hi Richard and Kevin,thanks for your quick replies.

In real life,I quite often do this trip QF21/22 YSSY-RJAA-YSSY, so very familiar with flight route and fixes. And yes Kevin, distance is by my calcs, 4254nm. I have flown my PMDG big girl on this route several times, with no fuel issues. For some reason, now I have reloaded my new computer with FSX and PMDG etc, the big girl is different.

I was looking at the manuals - cruise performance sections again today as well as confirming fuel with Topcat, I should have plenty of fuel.

Richard, I usually set my reserve fuel at 10,000.This flight,to see where my fuel would run out, I left it at the default of 4,000. The manual says," The value entered for fuel reserves is used by the FMS to determine an insufficient fuel condition, and will also be used to calculate performance predictions for the flight." My empty a/c should have been able to almost do a return trip on the same fuel load

RJAA - YSSY QFA22 flight is:

CUPID Y820 ADKAK G223 DAGDA A337 NOGAK 2500N 14600E 2100N 14648E 2000N 14700E 1500N 14800E 1000N 14900E 0500N 14900E 0000N 15000E 0500S 15100E 1000S 15200E 1200S 15224E 1500S 15300E 2000S 15400E SETER A598 BN H62 CORKY H12 SY

Umm, anyway,I will have another go later this week by verifying Topcats recommended quantities and do it manually, then try again. I do not need the ER version for this trip.

Geoff Bryce

Are you changing the fuel panel when prompted and performing step climbs, if applicable?

According to the PMDG manual, reserves should equal minimum landing fuel + alternate fuel + 0.5 × contingency fuel, which makes sense.

Hi Owen,

I never made the flight due to the FMC prediction I was going to be way short on fuel, so, never got to step climb issues.

Geoff Bryce

I say top it of and go and see if you make it and how much fuel you have left. In the 747 I just put my reserves at 0 in the FMC because of that message. It's been a while so I can't remember if you can put enroute winds into the FMC in the 747.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Umm, anyway,I will have another go later this week by verifying Topcats recommended quantities and do it manually, then try again.

There's your problem.

There's a whole section in the FCOM about fuel planning. It's very simple, and if you're at least at a basic level with Excel you can put the calcs in there and save it as a template for later use.

Use the manual's method of fuel calcs, or use a planner that does. TOPCAT's is not a fuel planner, it's a fuel estimator so that you can at least get a rudimentary idea of what the fuel might be for weight calcs, not for flight fuel requirements.

Kyle Rodgers

I have built a calculator using the flight planning data straight from the PMDG manuals. Link to Google Docs

It has some additional features like automatic distance calculations and airport weather to make the planning process a bit easier.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

I have built a calculator using the flight planning data straight from the PMDG manuals. Link to Google Docs

I have also written one in Excel that I just uploaded to the AVSIM Library. It is much less advanced than yours, but gets the job done and follows the PMDG manual suggestions (the only serious "flaw" right now is that it only uses data for cruising altitudes from FL350 to FL400—I didn't incorporate these extremes, as I only fly short-haul flights).

However, using direct distances may compromise accuracy in yours. Also, errors may occur with alternate distances. For example, I use VMMC as an alternate for VHHH, but the direct distance is only 20 NM. In real life, a route from VHHH to VMMC may be 75 NM depending on the runway.

I like your signature, by the way.

It has some additional features like automatic distance calculations and airport weather to make the planning process a bit easier.

I had a look at it and am having problems with getting the alternate fuel and subsequently landing weight to display. It just says #REF and putting the mouse over the cell says the cell range wasn't found.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I had a look at it and am having problems with getting the alternate fuel and subsequently landing weight to display. It just says #REF and putting the mouse over the cell says the cell range wasn't found.

Yeah, sorry about that. It's hard for me to say that it is a Google problem (plus it makes me look lazy), but it is. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, just out of normal use. I have my flight data stored in another workbook, and it is just not reading the sheet correctly.

I'll do something about it.

EDIT: Problem fixed. I moved my data from the separate workbook to a different sheet in the Fuel Planner workbook. It shouldn't give #REF errors anymore.

Edited by yos233

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

TOPCAT's is not a fuel planner, it's a fuel estimator so that you can at least get a rudimentary idea of what the fuel might be for weight calcs, not for flight fuel requirements.

I have found the TOPCAT estimates to be fairly accurate (at least for the FS9 PMDG 747). Can't say anything about the FSX version since I don't have that but I find it hard to accept that the TC calculation is to blame, leaving the OP 700-odd miles short. That is a whopper of an error.

Before trying esoteric and convoluted solutions and fuel calcs I'd suggest this was either a glitch or a TOPCAT setup error or not allowing the FMC/IRS systems of the aircraft to fully stabilise before punching in the numbers or maybe even a format entering error in the LEGS pages. Did the OP check the actual mileage the FMC reported after entering the entire route?

However, like I said earlier, I do not know the quirks of the FSX version of the 744. Tokyo to Sydney should be a stroll in the park for the aircraft.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

OK, I think I found the issue. I will confirm later tonight, but a few of the fixes put into the FMC plan were not checked well enough by me . When the FMC gives you a choice, I looked at the Routefinder details and coords and used them to confirm choice. I find for some reason some of the fixes indicated in the FMC a distance of 8000+ NM a very long fix.......I will check later and report back...I thought it so strange my big girl was so thirsty

Geoff Bryce

It is very important to check your route entered into the MCDU using the STEP function before engine start. This will ensure that you have entered waypoints that are near to the great circle. Otherwise you can get routes that are very much longer than you planned.

I have found that the TOPCAT B744X FSX fuel estimates are very nearly always sufficient for my frequent long haul journeys, although quite rarely I have had to resort to 'in-flight refuelling' using the PMDG Fuel option.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx