Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Most boring Long Haul in FSX?

the anticipation of replicating a flight from one side of the world to another is great. Most enjoyed when local ATC is online!

I sure can understand someone liking this, even though it's not my cup of tea. But...

I find long haul flight fun. Mainly because I fly over night so I sleep while the autopilot is doing all the work.

nowadays I just let autopilot to handle my flights while sleeping.

All good times to go to bed, then wake up and land

... I really can't understand those 'sleeping pilots' who let the AP do all the work while they sleep... Such a total waste of money (energy, hardware): your PC is running all night while you might was well use time accell or simply move the plane on the map and ditch some fuel... I really can't understand what's the fun about letting the PC fly the plane while you are asleep.

I only did it once, I.e. how I found out it was painfully boring :P

LOL

... I really can't understand those 'sleeping pilots' who let the AP do all the work while they sleep... Such a total waste of money (energy, hardware): your PC is running all night while you might was well use time accell or simply move the plane on the map and ditch some fuel... I really can't understand what's the fun about letting the PC fly the plane while you are asleep.

What I'm wondering is, assuming at least some of these flights are done for VAs, are the pilots then logging say 10 hours in that aircraft when it's actually 2 hours in the aircraft and 8 hours under the duvet? And yes, I know then real-world long distance pilots get at least a couple of hours sack time during a flight.

Not that it makes any difference to me and I assume each VA has its own rules, it's just that the idea seems, well...odd.

For me, long haul is any flight lasting over 45 minutes. :smile: I do get the idea, though, of flying a long distance, it's just that I'd be more inclined to do it in smaller chunks.

Not bashing, just wondering.

H

Guest Raul_Hernandez

... I really can't understand those 'sleeping pilots' who let the AP do all the work while they sleep...

LOL

What I'm wondering is, assuming at least some of these flights are done for VAs, are the pilots then logging say 10 hours in that aircraft when it's actually 2 hours in the aircraft and 8 hours under the duvet? And yes, I know then real-world long distance pilots get at least a couple of hours sack time during a flight.

With all due respect, who cares? - each to their own.

I personally hate time acceleration - to me, what it the point in using a high fidelity simulator with high quality addons like PMDG, then using "warp speed" to travel at Mach 5.0...... !!!

Sleeping during a long-haul cruise is just fine. It feels more realistic as crews do take rest breaks, where relief pilots fly the plane. And it's rewarding and refreshing to wake the next morning and land, 7000 miles from where you took off. :smile:

We are all different and it's natural that we don't always understand eachother's motivations and views on things, but we should still respect them. :smile:

I'm one of those who sleep over night during a long haul (10hr-13hr flights) Why do I do it? Because during the day, I like doing my short hops in the states. I will NEVER use time acceleration because it's pointless in my eyes and alsobecause my VA doesn't allow it (I don't think any VA allows it)

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Aren't all long-haul flights boring? I understand real airline pilots also find them boring.

I totally agree. Not being an environmentalist hippie or anything (don't even have low-energy bulbs :blush: ) but this is just idiotic. If you're going to leave your computer on overnight at least make it do something useful at the same time, like protein folding.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

You set up a long haul flight, slap on the autopilot then go to bed and wake up to land??!!

Wow! That's serious dedication!!

During many long hauls pilots themselves switch positions and go to sleep in crew rest area, I don't see how this is really different from that?

I can't really understand why on earth anybody would stare FSX for those whole 10 hours, and I don't even have time for that. Running flight time accelerated doesn't show any dedication to long haul flight either.

2 This is why i support devs like captain sim that put in cabin views etc, so you have something to play with during cruise. All that PMDG cockpit only is a waste, gets boring long haul with cockpit only view. So using PMDG for longhaul always max out the time acceleration.

Cabin views and such might entertain me for 15 minutes at best, then I usually mostly forget them.

And yeah sure keeping computer on for night is waste of energy, but all we people with western lifestyles waste energy so much anyway that it doesn't hurt to waste a little bit more.

Most boring long haul for me would have to be Stockholm Sweden to Beijing China in winter, for the majority of the flight its just snow and not much mountainous scenery to please the eyes. Then it gets dark pretty quick because your flying into the night (the new realistic moon textures I got from Avsim help in a way). But I mainly fly Montreal Canada to Keflavik Iceland now... The routes will change once the 777 is released though ^_^

Well, they aren't all boring. I remeber back in 2006 when I flew the Level-D 767 + FS2004 + VATSIM. Was at Heathrow holding short for T.O. when another fella came in from Singapore and decided to land without gear. That was extremely fun for me, and a few others, and very sad for the poor bugger who had spent most of the day prepping for that landing!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Longest I did was a Boeing 777-200LR flight from Hong Kong to Kiev....heading eastbound. Flight lasted 24 hours 16 minutes. Why I did it? Just to push the plane to its limits.

My computer's on all night anyway. During the night is when the virus scanner scans the computer for viruses.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Mine has to be from the UK to Florida/Caribbean - just nothing but the ocean; with my FSX settings, not a very pretty one!

Actually many transatlantic flights to Florida from the UK will route to Nova Scotia then down the US coast, so your flight doesn't need be completely over the ocean to be realistic.

PS Just noticed this is my 4000 post I'm officially an Eight Star member - WOO-HOO :lol:

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Furthest flight I have done was Deadhorse to Edinburgh in the Citation X. Not much to see most of the way, other than watch the fuel gauge go down and wonder if you will make it!

I tend to run at 4x during cruise (cue gasps of horror), even on shorter flights since my "sim" time is limited. I guess we all do it in our own way, I would not leave my sim running whilst I slept, or sit at the PC for 6 hours......... that is not to criticize those that do though....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Long haul is certainly boring and can drive a person to drink. it does depend on the equipment and the purpose of the flight however.

The most boring long hauls are MD-11F routes hopping the globe. I followed the DLH894(?) MD-11F route shown on a YouTube vid. I wanted to end it all after about 2 hours. I persevered however.

Read Below - If you want to spice up your long haul flights.

My favorite long hauls involve a "black airplane" that cruises at M3.0 (M3.2 if the DEF panel says SA-2/5s are on their way).

Flight profile is:

- Take off from your favorite DET base (Mildenhal, Kadena, Griffis AFB)

- Climb to FL 250 and join the tanker

- Onboard 60,000lbs of JP-7 (this is hard!)

- "Accel climb" to a classified altitude (FL820 if temps are right) and cruise for a while on your way to go visit friends in Vladivostok, N. Korea, Libya, N.Vietnam

- Get in the RSO seat and snap some pics of your friends and leave before you wear out your welcome (read: FAST and HOT)

- Decend to FL 350 to meet a tanker again

- Onboard 60,000 more pounds of JP-7 (still hard)

- "Accel climb" to a classified altitude again

- Arrive home

- Deny that you ever completed this flight at all times.

If you are a true long hauler and enjoy "seeing the world" I recommend the Virtavia SR-71. Then, buy yourself "Sled Driver" by Brian Shul, "How to fly the SR-71" by Col. R. Graham, and the book by P.Crickmore. Read them and plan some flights. This airplane is very hard to fly right and takes a real steady hand to keep happy. The missions these pilots flew were nothing short of amazing.

With the modern state of FSX you can get tankers flying more or less where you need them and sim most of these missions.

This Christmas I am going to sim the SR-71 overflights of the 7 Days War where the SR-71 provided intel for the US. KRME (Griffis AFB) > Suez Canal via the Mediterranean. There and back in 10 hours. Lots and lots of refueling. No sleep!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anchorage to Salt Lake City is very boring... Done it several times in the -900 Delta lol

when another fella came in from Singapore and decided to land without gear.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LMAO: :rofl: :lol: