Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Most boring Long Haul in FSX?

I love long haul- problem is my computer usually looks like its going to blow up by the end of them- I'm with virgin virtual group, and i'd say 90% of the flights are long haul. I think what I like the most about long haul is after all the time you spend doing it, the satisfaction you get when you touch down at your destination.

While some long haul flights can be boring, it is hard to beat a short flight from, say Cleveland to Indianapolis, for pure boredom. And one misses out on so many interesting areas. For example, Inchon to Kathmandou passes over some territory I was never even aware of. And even though parts of it were tedious, Newark to New Delhi has some real i nteresting parts, even flying over the Kyzl Kum and Kara Kum deserts.

I sleep through the boring parts, like transAtlantic crossings, but the iinteresting areas more than make up for it.

this.

What you describe is the only way I do long haul. But I do like to do it. Why, because I like that I can traverse the virtual world and change timezones, etc.

Same here.

Lately when I actually have time for long hauls I have been trying to time them so that I arrive late at night and I would have taken off in the late afternoon. This usually only works fro North America-Europe/Africa flights. Depart at 4pm my time (real time) arrive in Europe in the early morning (FSX time) late at night my time when I am ready to get to bed. My long hauls only occur when I am on break from school so I usually wont get to bed till 1-2am anyway. And Europe-North America I will try to find time in the day to do it.

However sometimes the flights are just too long and the overnight meathod is something I will do also. I will take off as late as possible though to time the arrival about 1.5 hours after I plan on waking up. I think about 1 out 5 of these sleep through flights sometime goes wrong either with the computer, the power shuts off for a second in the house, the plane messes up or I just forget to wake up and miss my destination!

But there really is something cool and satifying about taking off somewhere in FSX and landing in a far away place 8-14 hours later.

In real life my longest flight was SYD-LAX. Man that was long, but I have always enjoyed long haul flights. Give me a choice of a bunch of movies, some food and drinks and I am happy especially if I am in biz or first class.

In FSX my longest was MIA-BOM it was something like 17hours that took off in the morning and landed late at night!

As for boring ones I guess trans atlantic ones sometimes are not that great. I want to say LAX-SYD/AKL is the worst but I rarely have the time to do those so I always enjoy them a lot.

For good ones: For a flight like HKG-DXB/TLV I try to plan my flights near Mt. Everest that always makes them fun. Also MIA-South America have some cool things to see. Flying over the Islands than the dark amazon near the coast of Brazil etc..

Amen brother! This is exactly why the MD-11 is the best long hauler. I REALLY REALLY hope that this feature will be put into the PMDG (even if it isn't real).

OR, I'll have to use the SDK to write a module that will do it for me.

I got the MD-11 recently and have not done a long haul on it yet. I am planning on doing one in about two weeks. Need to make sure I figure out how to set it up to do that because that is the worst thing about sleeping through long hauls. Miss the step climbs.

I have to admit that I'm kinda tempted to try it! Why? Because I've done more flights from EGLL to VHHX in RL than I care to want to remember. I think the trick would be to try to recreate the conditions as closely as possible. For example, leave EGLL at the same time as a real flight then eat at midnight watch a couple of dvd's during the flight and try to stay awake. Having the odd snooze would be allowed as even the crew all disappear into the bowels of the plane during the early hours. The only thing that would be missing once you get to the other end would be jet lag. How to simulate this I wonder? :)

I prefer short/medium flights however if its a must (between 2 airports i like for example and so far) i use the accelerator + nice music.

FS passenger flight report will make me look forward to a good landing.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

The best part of longer flights though is that the time can be well spent reading up on manuals and get to know the cockpit inside out.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The best part of longer flights though is that the time can be well spent reading up on manuals and get to know the cockpit inside out.

Yes but real pilots already know the plane inside out:)

It is always good to keep oneself updated on the latest features, revisions, etc. and review existing information. Also, one probably can not clearly remember all of the content contained within the thousands of pages of training materials at a single time!

You'd be surprised...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Also don't forget that a 8 hours flight on a high end machine (let's says equipped with a 850/1000W power supply) will cost you 1.5/2€ in electricity based on the average cost in Europe.....so launching a long haul and going to sleep is not really cost effective....and if you do that in August you'll get 30° in the computer room easily !!

Sorry but i'm running an I7 2600k overclocked @ 4.7 Ghz + GTX 680 with a 850W power supply and my wattmeter only displays 258w being used when cruising in FSX

I find long hauls a perfect time to complete any assignments or essays for my studies. With FS running it stops me booting up another hands on game, which in turn distracts me.

Can't hand fly it forget it. Look for half hour flights enough to take off, climb, cruise, land in vfr. Run AP is waste of electricity.

Did many a long haul flight back when I had the level d 767. Most were trans Atlantic. To me its perfectly normal to fly 8 or 9 hours. And no I never use time acceleration even though my va, Delta allows it. Longest I do nowadays is around 6 hours with the NGX from lax and sfo to Hawaii. I dont have any longhaul planes currently. However once the pmdg 777 is out I will again do long haul. In fact my first long haul is DAL 7 from katl to omdb without tine acceleration.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric