Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EGLL77W

Most boring Long Haul in FSX?

Interested in what are your most boring long haul flights? Of course they can all get boring from time to time, especially on a flight simulator!

Mine has to be from the UK to Florida/Caribbean - just nothing but the ocean; with my FSX settings, not a very pretty one! :LMAO:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think a flight from Los Angeles to Sidney must be even worse. Nothing but water and very little traffic passing by.......

Menno

Mine has to be from the UK to Florida/Caribbean

Might I ask why you fly it then...? Just curious. (I think all long hauls are boring btw so I never fly them.)

I was going to ask the same thing! I only fly what I enjoy. My 777 will get a ton of flights from SFO to LAS. And quite a few Hawaii to Alaska flights as well.

I find long haul flight fun. Mainly because I fly over night so I sleep while the autopilot is doing all the work. I usually fly london - boston, london - hong kong, london - seoul, london - sint maarten and when I get my hand over the 777 I will probably fly london - sydney/new zealand.

Gota say Heathrow to Johannasburg, all that Africa and just yellow surfaces.

Then I recommend you to keep an eye on this site: http://www.fsaltitude.com/

Within some time they are going to release new product which will cover North Africa... Since I got all FSAltitude products made so far my FSX tubeliner flights have never been as boring again as finally there's some non repetitive real scenery around to look at.

And yeah, I find any longhaul that flies most of the time outside areas covered with FSAltitude more or less boring if I have to be on my computer while its flying, though nowadays I just let autopilot to handle my flights while sleeping.

Are you serious my friend from Norway?

You set up a long haul flight, slap on the autopilot then go to bed and wake up to land??!!

Wow! That's serious dedication!!

The only long haul I've done is autopiloted flights from Tokyo to London to check the stability of the sim (OOM errors). The only place I want to be on a long haul flight is in a business or first class seat drinking champagne...

Might I ask why you fly it then...? Just curious. (I think all long hauls are boring btw so I never fly them.)

I only did it once, I.e. how I found out it was painfully boring :P

I like long haul! I recently reinstalled the MD11 after many months away from it. Got the KLM and did Dubai-AMS, SIN-AMS then AMS-JFK..

All good times to go to bed, then wake up and land (or land short cause you only have 3% fuel as the plane did some funny things when your sleeping lol)

2 points

1 This is exactly what time acceleration is for

2 This is why i support devs like captain sim that put in cabin views etc, so you have something to play with during cruise. All that PMDG cockpit only is a waste, gets boring long haul with cockpit only view. So using PMDG for longhaul always max out the time acceleration.

The cabin view in CS767/757 etc and wilco products is great, and why i can overlook certain techical issues with both devs.Being able to see the flight from various perspectives in the plane helps to keep cruise intresting.

And if bad weather shows up ahead, then you have other issues to deal with. But really time acceleration is the only solution.

None!

"Long hauls" for me, are "boredom personified"! ^_^

I couldn't agree more!

I once did a flight from EGLL to VHHX in the 767, but that's my only experience with long hauls. I didn't enjoy it at all, so I decided not to fly that long a route. The longest flights I do, are some 2 hours in the MD-11, and that's on very rare occasions only. I'd rather do 2 or 3 short fligths, than one long, because just watching the AP fly the aircraft is boring. The interesting part IMHO is the approach and landing, and thus I try to get as many as possible in as little time as possible!

Flo

Well, since this thread seems to become about long haul-bashing ;).

Just to let another sound be heared.

I love long haul. Just so much more planning up front and while flying is going on.

Especially when there's an event like Cross the Pond on VATSIM.

I can understand being bored throughout the long cruise for some, but the anticipation of replicating a flight from one side of the world to another is great. Most enjoyed when local ATC is online!

Besides the PMDG777, I'm really looking forward towards the release of the new project of the TOPCATSIM-developer. That should make things much more enjoyable (read: in a planned manner) in the future.

the anticipation of replicating a flight from one side of the world to another is great. Most enjoyed when local ATC is online!

I sure can understand someone liking this, even though it's not my cup of tea. But...

I find long haul flight fun. Mainly because I fly over night so I sleep while the autopilot is doing all the work.

nowadays I just let autopilot to handle my flights while sleeping.

All good times to go to bed, then wake up and land

... I really can't understand those 'sleeping pilots' who let the AP do all the work while they sleep... Such a total waste of money (energy, hardware): your PC is running all night while you might was well use time accell or simply move the plane on the map and ditch some fuel... I really can't understand what's the fun about letting the PC fly the plane while you are asleep.

I only did it once, I.e. how I found out it was painfully boring :P

LOL

... I really can't understand those 'sleeping pilots' who let the AP do all the work while they sleep... Such a total waste of money (energy, hardware): your PC is running all night while you might was well use time accell or simply move the plane on the map and ditch some fuel... I really can't understand what's the fun about letting the PC fly the plane while you are asleep.

What I'm wondering is, assuming at least some of these flights are done for VAs, are the pilots then logging say 10 hours in that aircraft when it's actually 2 hours in the aircraft and 8 hours under the duvet? And yes, I know then real-world long distance pilots get at least a couple of hours sack time during a flight.

Not that it makes any difference to me and I assume each VA has its own rules, it's just that the idea seems, well...odd.

For me, long haul is any flight lasting over 45 minutes. :smile: I do get the idea, though, of flying a long distance, it's just that I'd be more inclined to do it in smaller chunks.

Not bashing, just wondering.

H

... I really can't understand those 'sleeping pilots' who let the AP do all the work while they sleep...

LOL

What I'm wondering is, assuming at least some of these flights are done for VAs, are the pilots then logging say 10 hours in that aircraft when it's actually 2 hours in the aircraft and 8 hours under the duvet? And yes, I know then real-world long distance pilots get at least a couple of hours sack time during a flight.

With all due respect, who cares? - each to their own.

I personally hate time acceleration - to me, what it the point in using a high fidelity simulator with high quality addons like PMDG, then using "warp speed" to travel at Mach 5.0...... !!!

Sleeping during a long-haul cruise is just fine. It feels more realistic as crews do take rest breaks, where relief pilots fly the plane. And it's rewarding and refreshing to wake the next morning and land, 7000 miles from where you took off. :smile:

We are all different and it's natural that we don't always understand eachother's motivations and views on things, but we should still respect them. :smile:

I'm one of those who sleep over night during a long haul (10hr-13hr flights) Why do I do it? Because during the day, I like doing my short hops in the states. I will NEVER use time acceleration because it's pointless in my eyes and alsobecause my VA doesn't allow it (I don't think any VA allows it)

Aren't all long-haul flights boring? I understand real airline pilots also find them boring.

I totally agree. Not being an environmentalist hippie or anything (don't even have low-energy bulbs :blush: ) but this is just idiotic. If you're going to leave your computer on overnight at least make it do something useful at the same time, like protein folding.

You set up a long haul flight, slap on the autopilot then go to bed and wake up to land??!!

Wow! That's serious dedication!!

During many long hauls pilots themselves switch positions and go to sleep in crew rest area, I don't see how this is really different from that?

I can't really understand why on earth anybody would stare FSX for those whole 10 hours, and I don't even have time for that. Running flight time accelerated doesn't show any dedication to long haul flight either.

2 This is why i support devs like captain sim that put in cabin views etc, so you have something to play with during cruise. All that PMDG cockpit only is a waste, gets boring long haul with cockpit only view. So using PMDG for longhaul always max out the time acceleration.

Cabin views and such might entertain me for 15 minutes at best, then I usually mostly forget them.

And yeah sure keeping computer on for night is waste of energy, but all we people with western lifestyles waste energy so much anyway that it doesn't hurt to waste a little bit more.

Most boring long haul for me would have to be Stockholm Sweden to Beijing China in winter, for the majority of the flight its just snow and not much mountainous scenery to please the eyes. Then it gets dark pretty quick because your flying into the night (the new realistic moon textures I got from Avsim help in a way). But I mainly fly Montreal Canada to Keflavik Iceland now... The routes will change once the 777 is released though ^_^

Well, they aren't all boring. I remeber back in 2006 when I flew the Level-D 767 + FS2004 + VATSIM. Was at Heathrow holding short for T.O. when another fella came in from Singapore and decided to land without gear. That was extremely fun for me, and a few others, and very sad for the poor bugger who had spent most of the day prepping for that landing!