Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

Posted Today, 07:34 AM

snapback.png777fan, on 03 December 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Must have missed it....can you guys post a link to the fix?

Me too! Please!

Pete

Me Three! Please!

Marz

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

Before I have to mail it to everyone, where to put it for download? any suggestions?

I dont know if it can be uploaded to the library, meaning if avsim allows it?

If it's a patched version of SIM1.DLL or similar, then they probably won't allow it -- even though it is plainly no use to anyone who doesn't already have FS. But a good alternative is to use a patch application program, so you simply provide the tool which patches the user's own copy of the DLL using a data file containing the differernces by way of file offset and binary changes.

I used to have such a program but I can't find it now.

petedowson AT btconnect DOT com

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

http://fs-mp.com/sim1/

For those who want to try it out.

I need however some reactions or reports, since we need to get a community average that works for most of us, if you strive to greater realism.

Backup of course before you try, its for SP2. Might work in acceleration too, but I cant tell.

The goal is to have more differential between runway behavior when wet, dry or snowy.

Now they all feel the same, and I want to have to be able to take this in account when doing an approach.

White knuckles!

My FSX is crashing when I try to open it with your sim1.dll. FSX+Acceleration. Is that what you're using also? Maybe each version has it's own sim1.dll version

Alexis Mefano

Yes sorry, is for SP2 only I think.

But there is been working at behind the screens to get this in SP1 and ACCELERATION also.

Will take some time, stay tuned.

I've hesitated to ask, but I'm curious as to what is actually being done here? Is it simply a matter of changing some values and seeing what happens? My concern is that the actual physics model itself for ground contact is bad, so changing the values used by that model won't ultimately accomplish what is needed. I'm not saying some improvements can't be made in the feel of some things. But I doubt realism will be advanced. But I'm completely ignorant of both the code at work in FSX and coding in general. Perhaps it is that ignorance that makes me cautious about changing things without knowing how they work and what else they may affect.

Are the people working on this software engineers and familiar with the coding of FSX?

My FSX is crashing when I try to open it with your sim1.dll. FSX+Acceleration. Is that what you're using also? Maybe each version has it's own sim1.dll version

All the different releases of FSX have different SIM1.DLL versions. They are not compatible.

Starting tomorrow I am working on a run-time patch mechanism for these values, and probably others, being applied by FSUIPC when FSX is loaded. I'll be making sure the correct places are patched for each version. I myself use Acceleration so until I do this I'm not in a position to test out the changes either.

I've hesitated to ask, but I'm curious as to what is actually being done here? Is it simply a matter of changing some values and seeing what happens? My concern is that the actual physics model itself for ground contact is bad, so changing the values used by that model won't ultimately accomplish what is needed.

These are simply "fiddle factors", scalars to control the friction level between different parts of the aircraft (wheels in this case) and different surfaces. For each of those there's another factor for each surface conditon -- wet, ice, snow etc. There's a lot of scope. It doesn't change any physical model at all, only the weights placed on specific things.

Since they are just scalar factors, not physical quantities, the only way to discover the best values is by experiment. I will be trying to facilitate that experiment with mechanisms in FSUIPC, if I can.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

thanks Pete, i am also with acceleration.. so another one, waiting in anticipation..!

Yes sorry, is for SP2 only I think.

But there is been working at behind the screens to get this in SP1 and ACCELERATION also.

Will take some time, stay tuned.

thanks, keep us posted if you have something for acceleration.

Thanks Pete,

Love your FSUIPC product.

As usual brilliant job

cheers,

Marz

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

There is no way a developper can change the frictions on the plane alone, it needs involving into sim1.dll

Try telling the IFLY devs that?

They listened to their customers and did it.

I have downloaded the SP2 version and am going to "crosscheck" it with my Accel version and add the relevant values.

Obviously I'll be making a backup of my original but I hope this all works to plan.

Thanks for this, will try it out and see how it works!

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD