Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

All the different releases of FSX have different SIM1.DLL versions. They are not compatible.

Starting tomorrow I am working on a run-time patch mechanism for these values, and probably others, being applied by FSUIPC when FSX is loaded. I'll be making sure the correct places are patched for each version. I myself use Acceleration so until I do this I'm not in a position to test out the changes either.

These are simply "fiddle factors", scalars to control the friction level between different parts of the aircraft (wheels in this case) and different surfaces. For each of those there's another factor for each surface conditon -- wet, ice, snow etc. There's a lot of scope. It doesn't change any physical model at all, only the weights placed on specific things.

Since they are just scalar factors, not physical quantities, the only way to discover the best values is by experiment. I will be trying to facilitate that experiment with mechanisms in FSUIPC, if I can.

Regards

Pete

Pete

This is an interesting concept --- FSUIPC patching existing FSX dlls

Will watch with great interest to see how this gets implemented.

Has some great possibilities, if you have the patience !!

Pete

This is an interesting concept --- FSUIPC patching existing FSX dlls

Will watch with great interest to see how this gets implemented.

Has some great possibilities, if you have the patience !!

I guess that since MS abandoned the software, and gave us two service packs with no support for 6 years or more, we can easily considere to be left on our own.

And with no more FS versions to wait for, FSX is the latest we have, so we need to update it on our own. I see no difference in adjusting a few bytes in a file a dll or bmp.

Now that FSUIPC it will do for us, runtime or not, the community can have another unofficial update. Heck, a lot of game communities does this, so there is no need to panic.

Hi everyone,

I made a patcher, patching the sim1.dll with the values of Johan_Dees. So all credit to him.

Dropbox Link: https://dl.dropbox.c...pdate-patch.exe

Only tested on acceleration.

Those who downloaded, please mirror if possible as the bandwidth may burst my dropbox limit.

Guys, please note that there seem to be differences between SP2 and accelleration. Download the one you need, and backup backup backup..

I have the FSX Gold Edition pack.

So i suppose i need the 'acceleration' patch to download?

Hi everyone,

I made a patcher, patching the sim1.dll with the values of Johan_Dees. So all credit to him.

Dropbox Link: https://dl.dropbox.c...pdate-patch.exe

Only tested on acceleration.

Those who downloaded, please mirror if possible as the bandwidth may burst my dropbox limit.

Finding until now:

- sliding coefficient raised, saw no ill side effects like in fs9, like the shudder on start of roll.

- steering much more direct, great no more skid on normal taxi speeds.

- keeping runway centerline much better

- rolling friction lowered, little breakaway power needed, then taxi on idle, depending on weight of course

- much more difference on dry versus wet versus snowy runways and taxiways, as it should be.

- needed to adjust the brake value a bit in the aircraft cfg to compensate the lower friction. Easy.

Tests were with Cessna, DC3 and L749 and B737 at this moment.

AI doesnt seem to bother by the effects.

I just dowloaded the patch for my FSX Gold Edition pack and installed it.

http://fs-mp.com/sim1/

I made a dozen landings with my favorite Carenado Baron 58.

One word: FANTASTIC !!!

On a dry runway the aircraft doesn't skid anymore like a bad landing on skis in the snow. AMAZING !

The landing feels much more realistic and controllable.

I shall test it also in rain and snow and with other planes now.

Johan_Dees it looks like you have a real winner here. To me it feels like one of the most important improvements ever made to FSX in the order of SP1, 2 / Acceleration and the Word Not Allowed Tuning Guide.

Thank you so much !

But we are not there yet!, its just a first try and needs finetuning.

I am now gathering data since there is more to adjust and test, but yes, already much better.

Just a bit of feed back. I have my own 737-800 Sim. PFC Hardware and Project Magenta software. I am therefore using the default FSX 737-800 in the back ground. I have tried this new Sim1.dll on just one flight so far, and have to say things were very much improved. I had a 50% fuel load, and full passenger load, and would normally have to go to about 43% N1 to get her rolling, then throttle back a little. Today, she felt like she wanted to move as soon as I released brakes, and could feel this through my D-Box motion platform. Anyway, she started to roll very smoothly at 35% N1, and came to a nice gliding halt at my Runway stop line.

I use GSX, and upon arriving at my stand/gate, it has always been a little difficult to slow down and stop where the Marshaller wants me. Today I came onto the Stand at 4mph GS, and when I closed the throttles, my plane continued to roll forward nicely until I applied some toe brakes.

Certainly, this is a winner, and I shall keep an eye to see if further improvements are made as time goes on.

Many thanks

• Upvote 1

I'm waiting for Peter Dowson to release his FSUIPC's with an interface to this, should make experimenting with numbers much more easy!

Couldn't wait, tried the patch made for Acceleration. Man, that thing is great! How come nobody knew FSX allowed this kind of tweak? Johan Dees, you're a genius!! Now we need to make some way to tune it to feel close to reality, it's not going to be easy, every addon should react different, and this will probably break all the Autobrake calculation and Brake Distance for more accurate addons, but this makes some things much more realistic! Not there's no Soap over the Runway.

Alexis Mefano

Should this work in P3D do we think?

Cheers

Chris

P3D will need it's own Versions(s), different version (probably) for each version of P3D.

If FSUIPC containing this patcher for FSX is a success, hopefully Peter will extend coverage to P3D.

Johan Dees, you're a genius!! Now we need to make some way to tune it to feel close to reality, it's not going to be easy, every addon should react different, and this will probably break all the Autobrake calculation and Brake Distance for more accurate addons, but this makes some things much more realistic! Not there's no Soap over the Runway.

No I am not. Worked with data offered by Yves. (see link earlier). Just tried it out and made it more public.

I am working on the values, but needs testing and gathering them.

Already found some good ones, and will try. But takes a while.

Johan

FSX Accel + sim1.dll Patched.

C172 - FANTASTIC. No more 720 Deg spins when turning at more than 5 knots !! Actually now feels like the tires have some tread :)

Has anyone looked at the P3D sim1.dll to see if it has the same OLD non-optimal values as FSX ??

Is it ready yet?

:lol:

C172 - FANTASTIC. No more 720 Deg spins when turning at more than 5 knots !!

:LMAO: would be worth not using the mod'd .dll just to see this.

Johan... Joshua... thanks for this! im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Maybe we call this the "Joshua C. Project". Just%20Kidding.gif

I tried to download the Acceleration patch but it came up empty! Is it different to the SP2+Acc file?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.