Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

Nor is destroying your fight sim installation if they have reason to believe you're using a pirated copy of their software. Once a company has decided that kind of thing is acceptable, altering FSX system dll's is nothing.

The day I realized I had become an adult was the day I realized I'd never again be able to say, "THEY wouldn't to THAT!" Because they not only would, it's probably SOP. If you haven't gotten to that point yet, don't worry, you will.

Hook

Hook

Can you give just ONE example of an Addon Developer altering an original Microsoft FSX dll ??

(For ANY reason, including retaliation from Piracy)

Just one ???

Just more Conspiracy Theories.

If any Developer was doing this, it would be all over Internet, including Avsim.

Note: Modifying their OWN dlls, to combat Piracy does not count . if they do that -- GOOD FOR THEM !!

ooooohhh myyyyy.

I sincerely hope you are correct.

So if a person changing the file could care less the date.... the date stays the same if it were changed?

http://forum.avsim.n...x/#entry2537231

The Dates that the OS associates with a file, has nothing to do with the CONTENT of the file itself. The Date/Time can change, while the file Content remains the same.

Typically, altering the CONTENT of the file, will cause the OS to change the Last Modified date, but that date can be changed again, back to the original, with other tools !

However, it looks like you have an ORIGINAL FSX-XPACK sim1.dll :)

Note: Modifying their OWN dlls, to combat Piracy does not count . if they do that -- GOOD FOR THEM !!

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about deleting non-related FSX folders. You can always tell when someone's tried pirating the MD-11 because they have specific folders missing. There was a thread about it right here not long ago.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just more Conspiracy Theories.

If any Developer was doing this, it would be all over Internet, including Avsim.

Speaking of conspiracy theories...

I wonder how many have actually taken the time to install... check the checksum... then do it again after an install...

Don't know if it was pedals, but there was no "differential brakes" indicator at the bottom.

Just a button on a controller (iirc)... but was not pedals (never owned) and highly unlikely diff.

but that date can be changed again, back to the original, with other tools !

I kind of figured that when I first saw a directory with a gazillion files all the same date & time. :wink:

Guys aren't we sliding (or skidding) slightly off topic now?

I am so happy that my favorite GA aircraft don't behave anymore like the sledge of Santa Claus during the landing.

:p0504:

• Upvote 1

Guys aren't we sliding (or skidding) slightly off topic now?

Not imo... I think a relevant (connecting) issue. I say this as an experienced participant in off topic discussions. He%20He.gif

I am so happy that my favorite GA aircraft don't behave anymore like the sledge of Santa Claus during the landing.

You must have been quite naughty to be hammered so much. No more Hammertime? ("can't touch this")

However, it looks like you have an ORIGINAL FSX-XPACK sim1.dll :)

My only concern now is we have a file hacked by the same person. :LMAO:

Okay. FSUIPC 4.859j is now available in the Download Links subforum in my Support Forum. This contains the option to automatically apply the current patches by Johan Dees, and that can be used by anyone whether registered or not, on FSX RTM, SP1, SP2, Acceleration or P3D 1.4.

There's now no FSUIPC offset mapping, which was limited only to WHEEL and BRAKING coefficients in any case.

For registered users there are the two extra Lua functions which enable any of the friction and braking coefficients to be changed, and, being Lua plugins, this can be done in Profiles so that different values can apply to different aircraft models.

For full details of the latter, plus the example "Frictions.lua", you'll not only need to get 4.859j but also the latest Lua PlugIns package in the same SubForum..

Suggestion:

For Lua Example, maybe add Microsoft's ORIGINAL values in as Comments.

This would proved a good reference to those original values.

Yes, this has been done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest Raul_Hernandez

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about deleting non-related FSX folders. You can always tell when someone's tried pirating the MD-11 because they have specific folders missing. There was a thread about it right here not long ago.

Hook

There was certainly a lot of threads going round various FS forums about 3 years ago, from people who had had Windows files deleted from their PC following the installation of an allegedly 'planted' pirated copy of a PMDG aircraft (can't remember which one; think it was J41).

If you ask me it's just Karma, and I can't really form sympathy for someone who is pirating software in a niche hobby like Flight Sim. They got what they deserved!

But whether it is an acceptable business praictice on PMDGs front, is another debate. Personally I don't blame them for aggressive piracy retaliation.

As for this DLL tweak, I agree with Bartbear, it is just wonderful having realistic ground friction effect now, especially in smaller GA planes. The Carenado PA28 Archer II is actually handling like a real PA28 now!

There was certainly a lot of threads going round various FS forums about 3 years ago, from people who had had Windows files deleted from their PC following the installation of an allegedly 'planted' pirated copy of a PMDG aircraft (can't remember which one; think it was J41).

I suspect this sort of thing is more likely to occur as a result of deliberate virus code implanted is such pirated materials. The virus makers use attractions such as free copies of desirable products to fool folks into installing same. Folks who chance using pirated copies of anything take more risks than simply being found out.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest Raul_Hernandez

That's a very good point Pete. It may well have been something like that, rather than the 'Piracy retaliation' theory.

Whatever, please keep focussed on the thread gentlemen.

I like to add, that for carefully crafted addons, like PMDG and others, the takeoff roll may be different as advertised.

Of course this varies with weight, FS simulated all that well.

Now, this can be fixed, but requires work, since adding drag will mess up flight, especially climb and approach.

But what ammount of feet is offically needed to takeoff on a certain weight ? what time in seconds it takes for standstill to lift off in the NGX at a certain weight ?

Do we have those real Boeing numbers? Do we know how many feet asphalt is been rolled over before reaching Vr ?

If its know, then we can measure the distance we gain earlier and work from there to see how we can compensate it, by either raising the friction value a bit

untill the difference is acceptable, and raise just a little bit drag, and/or lower the thrust a but on the high end of the N1.

If its unknow, then we never know if it was right or wrong from the beginning.

It is measurable in the sim, there are 'rulers' or test airports as an addon what displays at 100 feet interval a sign so one can measure it in feet.

PMDG knows it, but they're not going to say, since it's included in Boeing Specific Manuals not available for Public Use.

We depend on Developers adapting their own addons for this new Friction.

Alexis Mefano

Ok, how then do you know that with less friction the takeoff roll is good or not in the NGX ?

First of all many thanks to the brilliant minds of this thread (Johan and Pete) for bringing up this both useful and interesting research.

I am considering to use my old ATR72 to "fiddle" around, which happens to have detailed performance tables.

As far as I understand, measuring lenghts in FSX is difficult; a useful tool to overcome this could be "BlackBox Flightlogger" used together with GoogleEarth (it can record takeoff and landing rolls and measure them in GoogleEarth). My past experience with it is that is quite accurate.

Can anyone please confirm that the only directly related setting (non thrust or drag related) in aircraft.cfg is "toe_brakes_scale", or there are other settings also?

Are there any other related settings in .air files?

Ok, how then do you know that with less friction the takeoff roll is good or not in the NGX ?

Right now we know it's bad, it changes the Takeoff Run Distance PMDG must have tweaked for months to achieve realistic values.

Alexis Mefano

First of all many thanks to the brilliant minds of this thread (Johan and Pete) for bringing up this both useful and interesting research.

I am considering to use my old ATR72 to "fiddle" around, which happens to have detailed performance tables.

As far as I understand, measuring lenghts in FSX is difficult; a useful tool to overcome this could be "BlackBox Flightlogger" used together with GoogleEarth (it can record takeoff and landing rolls and measure them in GoogleEarth). My past experience with it is that is quite accurate.

Can anyone please confirm that the only directly related setting (non thrust or drag related) in aircraft.cfg is "toe_brakes_scale", or there are other settings also?

Are there any other related settings in .air files?

Can you do some tests and report back ?