Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

That is what I am getting too. Some planes DO need work. But for some it doesnt change much.

There IS user action needed to make it perfect, and thats a community effort, not mine. Just helped to get the framework.

I dont have a NGX, but my L749 does a great job on it, but I might need to tame the takeoff thrust a bit.. still trying.

Its not a plug and play solution, its giving one a real environment when on the ground, but since most, if not all, planes are made for the stock setting, ALL are off a bit.

Some more, some less.

Those with some less are lucky, and can fly happily on, since they have differences in a couple of feet. (Neglectable) Those with less can take it or leave it, or adjust their planes.

The last action involves airfile editing, maybe the community can help, but mostly record 1506 needs to be adjusted for ground thrust. And thats easy if you determine

the difference in takeoff roll. If its 20% lower, adjust the values 20% lower or about to get beack to square one, giving you the best of both worlds, aka real rollout, real takeoff run.

Google Herve Sors for Aired, and look for your self, first row is on the ground thrust, eat your hart out.

• Upvote 1

Excellent contribution Gentlemen. You are all to be congratulated. Thankyou for sharing your talent, time and work with us.

It seems to me a byproduct of this mod is that the inherent fsx difficulty taxiing turboprops (KingAir, Turbine Duke, Piper Cheyenne. etc.) seems to have been virtually eliminated. Perhaps this is placebo, or just wishful thinking on my part but, thus far it seems to be at least vastly improved. It is well worth using for that alone for me.

One question, if I may. When implemented through the FSUIPC 4859k are there changes to the wet, icy, and grass/gravel behaviour? I have not been able to figure out how to look at the setting/values being used.

Edit: Is it implementing the settings as shown in the "Frictions.lua" in the "Example Lua Plugins" folder?

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Excellent contribution Gentlemen. You are all to be congratulated. Thankyou for sharing your talent, time and work with us.

It seems to me a byproduct of this mod is that the inherent fsx difficulty taxiing turboprops (KingAir, Turbine Duke, Piper Cheyenne. etc.) seems to have been virtually eliminated. Perhaps this is placebo, or just wishful thinking on my part but, thus far it seems to be at least vastly improved. It is well worth using for that alone for me.

One question, if I may. When implemented through the FSUIPC 4859k are there changes to the wet, icy, and grass/gravel behaviour? I have not been able to figure out how to look at the setting/values being used.

Edit: Is it implementing the settings as shown in the "Frictions.lua" in the "Example Lua Plugins" folder?

Sir, the values for icy, wet and snow I left untouched, IF we ment the scalars on the ground type.

For example. concrete has a value, and some scalars for wet, ice and snow. Same for rolling or sliding.

This means that on a runway x you have rolling friction y and slide friction z. Snow, ice and rain change these values with a preset, left unchanged atm.

Gravel, grass etc is adjusted as appropriate, but have the same scalars, aka impact on their setting.

On the FSUIPC thing I cant comment, but Peter did, and will do. Read carefully his responses above. For me its stil abracadabra.

On the turboprops.. never tought about it, but yes, with the lower rolling friction I can imagine that the beta range now works as it should be.

Nice catch!

Thanks for the response Johan.

I always appreciate your insights and efforts.

Thanks.

It may take me a while to digest and understand but I'll get there!

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

And your verdict sir is ?

So far so good, Johan, it's a definite improvement. I plan to keep the mod in by default. I haven't done much subjective testing yet, I wanted to see what the objective effect was first. I fly a wide range of types for my VA, so I'll let you know how it goes in this thread.

I think some addons may already compensate for the excessive friction by messing around with thrust so it may well be the mod needs to be switched off when flying them. I've been reloading FSX after changing FSUIPC.INI, but if there's a way to switch the mod in and out without doing this it would be a real bonus.

ki9cAAb.jpg

For those who are interested in rapidly checking the effect of ground friction coef changes, without doing any test, I designed some time ago a "performance calculator" that is only based on FS aircraft data (as defined in air and cfg files). I recently add a take off performance calculator in which ground friction coef can be changed for dry, wet, icy and snow conditions (FS9 only have 1 coef whatever the surface conditions are). You will see that the effects are rather large on take off runs..At this time calculations are limited to hard runways

Link is here (AJPC) http://www.aero.sors.fr/afsd.html

For those who are interested in rapidly checking the effect of ground friction coef changes, without doing any test, I designed some time ago a "performance calculator" that is only based on FS aircraft data (as defined in air and cfg files). I recently add a take off performance calculator in which ground friction coef can be changed for dry, wet, icy and snow conditions (FS9 only have 1 coef whatever the surface conditions are). You will see that the effects are rather large on take off runs..At this time calculations are limited to hard runways

Link is here (AJPC) http://www.aero.sors.fr/afsd.html

thanks herve always appreciate and enjoy your work/utilities

Thanks for the test, kevinh. On a sidenote. I would expect planes which feature normal autobrake systems to show a more significant difference on the stopping distance. The NGX, same as the Feature Pack iFly, aim for certain deceleration rates (adjusting the actual brake pressure) while older or less detailed addons just apply a fixed braking force.

Either way, a short test of Johan's and Pete's work showed a large improvement on the actual feel of the plane for me. Can't thank you guys enough. :smile:

For those that have used the NGX, is the only difference in the takeoff run (the landing distances are minimally changed, I assume, due to the more realistic way the NGX braking system is designed)? I mean, are there any alterations to the flight dynamics and/or climb/descent performance of the NGX? I really want to try this mod as it seems to make single engine taxi finally possible.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Ref: http://fs-mp.com/sim1

This page was created earlier, to provide a place for Johan to publish his patched version(s) of sim1.dll, so that others could provide feedback.

It grew a little, as Peter Dowson came onboard, to provide a FSUIPC solution, and the page referenced his Beta version(s) of FSUIPC, that has the Friction processing added.

Now that things have settled down, and are not changing on a day-to-day basis, the page has really served it purpose, and would be removed, except that doing so would make a lot of references in this forum, reference a deleted resource.

As far as FSUIPC is concerned, the links to version of FSUIPC (on fs-mp.com/sim1 ) are only for Historical Reference to support this forum thread.

Those that use FSUIPC should always refer to Peter Dowson's support Forum, for links to download FSUIPC.

Pete--it seems to me that a reasonable compromise solution for those attempting to keep high-fidelity add-ons "on the numbers" would be to dynamically change the rolling friction values back to default at groundspeeds above taxi speed (say ~30 knots). I'm a C++ gauge programmer and not currently Lua-enlightened--would Lua allow that sort of dynamic control?

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Pete--it seems to me that a reasonable compromise solution for those attempting to keep high-fidelity add-ons "on the numbers" would be to dynamically change the rolling friction values back to default at groundspeeds above taxi speed (say ~30 knots). I'm a C++ gauge programmer and not currently Lua-enlightened--would Lua allow that sort of dynamic control?

Yes, I think so -- assuming FS doesn't need to regenerate some tables for the coefficients to take effect. It might otherwise need the aircraft to be reloaded. I don't know -- someone who can recognise the effects of the friction changes will have to check that out.

If it will change directly "on the fly" without an aircraft reload, then you need to just have an event-based function which acts on the offset for "on the ground" or groundspeed, check those values, and change the friction using the "setfriction" function. It doesn't really need much experience to put together such simple Lua scripts -- check some of the examples supplied in the package and in the User Contributions sub-forum on my Forum. Programmers, especially those programming in C++ like yourself, would find it a real doddle in comparison with most programming.

I'm looking forward to some such contributions by those who know what they are doing, dynamics-wise. If anyone want any pointers Lua-wise, just ask in my Support Forum.

Best Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

if there's a way to switch the mod in and out without doing this it would be a real bonus.

Of course there's a way. The individual Lua files to control it (using the new friction functions) can be loaded based on Profile or aircraft name, same as assignments, calibrations, etc.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Pete...I've been doing some experimenting with the ipc.SetFriction calls in Lua (does that now make me a "Luatic?"). I can confirm that dynamic "on-the-fly" changes to the friction settings do indeed work in FSX.

I've written a Lua program that restores the rolling friction and braking coefficients to default when groundspeed is above 30 knots...this allows the benefits of the reduced coeffecients during taxi ops (i.e. easier breakaway, low-power taxi, better brake effectiveness during block-in etc), yet minimizes effects to the add-on designer's FDE-driven takeoff and landing performance...a best-of-both-worlds compromise. I'll send you the Lua file.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case