Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

You'll need to put the DynamicFriction.lua file into the modules folder, and then in FSUIPC4.INI you need to have an "Auto" section to invoke it, something like this:

[Auto]
1=Lua DynamicFriction

Ok just to understand the lua file is called "DynamicFriction.lua" (already downloaded and found it and added to modules folder), but under the "Auto" section of ini file, you enter "1=Lua DynamicFriction" and NOT just 1=DynamicFriction. Just want to make sure I correctly add the ini part for the auto start, as I intend to use the DynamicFriction for ALL my planes. I can live with the odd thing out. these values pretty much are awesoem for all my planes I regularly fly, so I have no intention to create plane specific files.

Ok just to understand the lua file is called "DynamicFriction.lua" (already downloaded and found it and added to modules folder), but under the "Auto" section of ini file, you enter "1=Lua DynamicFriction" and NOT just 1=DynamicFriction

Yes. The list in the {Auto] section(s) can activate macros (.mcro files) and/or Lua plug-ins, in the order listed by number. The control name to start a Lua plug-in is "lua ". For macros it is the macro filename followed by ':' and then the name of the macro within that file.

Regards

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Yes. The list in the {Auto] section(s) can activate macros (.mcro files) and/or Lua plug-ins, in the order listed by number. The control name to start a Lua plug-in is "lua ". For macros it is the macro filename followed by ':' and then the name of the macro within that file.

Regards

Pete

Thank you kindly.!

Wow, Dudley! I've noticed a certain lack of side friction when on the mains of a taildragger, so if this fixes it, it's all to the good. I haven't seen a problem with tricycle gear.

Did you have any comments on the rolling friction?

Thanks!

Hook

I've mainly noticed issues with brake friction during runups and with takeoff behavior. I should note that I don't use the default aircraft at all mainly using FSX as a world vehicle for the add on developer with whom I am exclusively associated.

I consider the takeoff behavioral issues to be THE issue to be yet solved in FSX.

DH

Regards

Pete

Ok last question.. if I add the [Auto] section with the entry as below to the ini file

[Auto]
1=Lua DynamicFriction

then I dont need to add the "PatchSIM1friction=Yes" section to the [general] section of the ini file

(or actually I still can have the entry, but it will be overwritten with the lua plugin, but for neatness/bulkiness/obsoleteness sake it is beter to omit the entry "PatchSIM1friction=Yes" when I also have the [Auto] section - that is how I understand it.)

To run a Lua script with FSUIPC, doesn't FSUIPC have to be a Registered Copy , while "PatchSIM1friction=Yes" works, even if not registered. ??

Ok last question.. if I add the [Auto] section with the entry as below to the ini file

[Auto]
1=Lua DynamicFriction

then I dont need to add the "PatchSIM1friction=Yes" section to the [general] section of the ini file

Correct. The Patch ... parameter was only for non-registered FSUIPC users as a better way of applying Johan's patching rather than replacing the actual SIM1.DLL. And of course it works with all versions of FSX and Prepar3D.

(or actually I still can have the entry, but it will be overwritten with the lua plugin, but for neatness/bulkiness/obsoleteness sake it is beter to omit the entry "PatchSIM1friction=Yes" when I also have the [Auto] section - that is how I understand it.)

Correct again. The "RestoreFriction" function at the start of the Lua plug-in will undo the Patch ... parameter's action in any case.

Regards

Pete

To run a Lua script with FSUIPC, doesn't FSUIPC have to be a Registered Copy , while "PatchSIM1friction=Yes" works, even if not registered. ??

Yes, also correct.

Everyone gets full marks today! ;-)

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

You are too good for this world Pete.

Now we need to look into the float planes also.. anyone any ideas on what needs improvements?

Yes, also correct.

Everyone gets full marks today! ;-)

Pete

That's because you have us all well trained to read your documentation. :p0126:

• Upvote 1

So for us uneducated in lua functions: to get the realistic braking/breakaway thrust levels suitable for most airplanes, do we need to download a specific script, or is this selectable from within the FSUIPC interface in FSX? Or do we need to write a script using some sort of programming language?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

God, I did read all the 9 pages, and I'm lost. (I got registered FSUIPC)

I installed FSUIPC4859 and did put PatchSIM1friction=Yes in the .ini. Is it enough for this to work ?

Thanks for all the non hardcoregeeksimmers here :P

The PatchSIM1friction=Yes option in the FSUIPC4.ini file makes the changes in the friction settings and they remain in place for the the entire sim session. That's OK for many people who are not concerned with the takeoff/landing distance changes that induces.

Some add-ons, like the PMDG NGX, or the TinMouse II B732 as examples, have many hours of developer time devoted to getting the takeoff and landing performance very close to real world numbers. The DynamicFriction.lua file dynamically changes the friction values so that you have all the benefits of the improvements during taxi ops, but once you're above taxi speed it changes the rolling friction values back to default so that the takeoff and landing performance works as designed.

If you are using the Lua file, the PatchSIM1friction=Yes option is not needed and superfluous. If you are content to use the PatchSIM1friction=Yes option to change the friction values globally, then the Lua file is not needed. One or the other, but generally not both.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Bob, and the lua file goes into FSX/module/ folder ?

See post #207 above.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you so much for your help, I think that a summarizing post should be made ...