Sign in to follow this  
chabrier

Inherent flaw of FSX to give too much ground friction?

Some numbers for the NGX guys to test and compare too after the mod. I ran some quick numbers from the performance manual. These numbers are based on the BBJ 737-700. For an aircraft at 179,000lbs, flaps 15,4000PA , 32C and dry runway. The takeoff ground run up to 35ft was 11,100ft. For landing distance I looked at MAX manual braking and also autobrake set to 2. For an aircraft at 179,000lbs, flaps 30, 4000PA, 32C and dry runway. With max man braking + auto spoilers landing distance was 4150ft. With auto brake set to 2 + auto spoilers landing distance was 9250ft. Landing distance is based on thresh at 50ft and 1000ft air distance. You can also shoot me some conditions and weights. Ground run is a bit harder since the charts are based on runway available + conditions to give a runway limiting gross weight instead of distance based on a given gross weight. The landing distance is alot easier as it gives you corrections based on weight, PA, Temp, braking conditions, reverse, spoiler and auto brake use. I can calculate it as long as it is a BBJ 737-700.

I just noticed that you guys may not be able to get your BBJ that heavy. With lower weights and std conditions, I can't get into the runway limiting charts meaning runway isnt a factor. The chart tops out at 190,000, so it may be linear data for testing purpose. Lets just go with 130,000 flaps 30, dry runway, std day and braking reprted as good.

max man braking=3830

max auto=4190

auto 3=4830

Wow I've seen this thread grow but didn't feel the need to read it straight away. How wrong was I?

Brilliant work Johan and Pete, looks like ill be doing some unplanned downloading tomorrow instead of work but that can always wait :)

Some numbers for the NGX guys to test and compare too after the mod. I ran some quick numbers from the performance manual. These numbers are based on the BBJ 737-700. For an aircraft at 179,000lbs, flaps 15,4000PA , 32C and dry runway. The takeoff ground run up to 35ft was 11,100ft. For landing distance I looked at MAX manual braking and also autobrake set to 2. For an aircraft at 179,000lbs, flaps 30, 4000PA, 32C and dry runway. With max man braking + auto spoilers landing distance was 4150ft. With auto brake set to 2 + auto spoilers landing distance was 9250ft. Landing distance is based on thresh at 50ft and 1000ft air distance. You can also shoot me some conditions and weights. Ground run is a bit harder since the charts are based on runway available + conditions to give a runway limiting gross weight instead of distance based on a given gross weight. The landing distance is alot easier as it gives you corrections based on weight, PA, Temp, braking conditions, reverse, spoiler and auto brake use. I can calculate it as long as it is a BBJ 737-700.

Good luck trying to use those numbers to check the FSX NGX simulation fidelity. It is important for anyone seriously trying to do that to understand what is represented in those numbers. For takeoff, the distance is from brake release (with full takeoff thrust) to a height of 35 feet above the takeoff surface with one engine failing suddenly to a windmilling condition one second before V1.

For landing, the 1000 foot air distance is provided as a nice fixed round number to allow operators to adjust the landing distances to match their operations. You're better off just subtracting that 1000 feet from the landing distance to get the ground distance from touchdown. And don't bother with any of the braking conditions other than dry unless someone is going to try to adjust the FSX friction values for these other braking conditions.

Set this up today and 5 min later I had a new sim. I can now follow the yellow taxi lines without the plane veering all over the place. The 'feel' of it is amazing It completely changes the airport experience and I can even pull up at the stand and the little man is happy for a change. I'm all smiles so mega thanks people. :)

Could Pete or someone possibly create a new thread for this so that it's easy to find the latest files that can be edited in the first post rather than us having to sift through pages looking for them?

I haven't had time to read through it but for what I have read it sounds very promising and definitely one of those must do things to do to your FSX install.

Could I request that someone tells me what I need to have installed, in order to have the latest files for FSX Accel?

I can now follow the yellow taxi lines without the plane veering all over the place.

Bri, how fast were you taxiing? And in what planes? This value should show up in the GPS ground speed if your plane is so equipped.

PM me if you wish.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Could Pete or someone possibly create a new thread for this so that it's easy to find the latest files that can be edited in the first post rather than us having to sift through pages looking for them?

I haven't had time to read through it but for what I have read it sounds very promising and definitely one of those must do things to do to your FSX install.

Could I request that someone tells me what I need to have installed, in order to have the latest files for FSX Accel?

Pete has a forum and a thread where he lists all the latest FSUIPC updates and he supplies full documentation.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

Cheers, Andy.

Good luck trying to use those numbers to check the FSX NGX simulation fidelity. It is important for anyone seriously trying to do that to understand what is represented in those numbers. For takeoff, the distance is from brake release (with full takeoff thrust) to a height of 35 feet above the takeoff surface with one engine failing suddenly to a windmilling condition one second before V1.

For landing, the 1000 foot air distance is provided as a nice fixed round number to allow operators to adjust the landing distances to match their operations. You're better off just subtracting that 1000 feet from the landing distance to get the ground distance from touchdown. And don't bother with any of the braking conditions other than dry unless someone is going to try to adjust the FSX friction values for these other braking conditions.

Those numbers are for a comparison, not to validate the NGX performance. I doubt that the NGX would be exact. Some NGX owners are concerned that the MOD is going to throw off the NGX performance. The numbers just give an idea of the real world NG standard. Just a target. Takeoff run to 35ft is not much difference from the engine out scenario. You notice this during V1 cuts in the sim. You would actually have to call V1 at 5 knots prior to complete the call by V1 if you wanted to be precise. Some operators do.The time between V1 and 35ft is not long. For example, at 140,000 on a dry runway STD day V speeds are V1-120 VR-122 V2-132. Engine out, it takes about 2 seconds extra to reach lift-off and another 2 to 3 seconds extra to reach 35ft compared to all engines. The 1000ft air distance is based on the 737 target gear touch down point of 1000ft down the runway. Flare distance is from 1000 to 2000ft. Either way, they are just some numbers for the NGX guys/gals to compare too. If the takeoff run distances are close, then use the mod. If the landing distance falls between the wet and dry numbers, you know you are close enough. Atleast they will have a number to shoot towards when adjusting braking strength. :)

I'm currently inside the FSUIPC user interface- does anyone know where we can activate the friction feature the last 8 pages have been talking about (something with LUA?)

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

you first need to download the lua friction file from Pete's support site.

That file is named DynamicFriction.lua and is part of the Lua Plugins Package located here: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/68257-latest-lua-package-for-fsuipc-and-wideclient/

Assuming you have FSUIPC installed (and you should) --

Download the Lua Plugins Package zip file and unzip one of the contained files, DynamicFriction.lua, into your FSX/Modules folder

Open your FSUIPC4.ini file in Notepad and edit it to include this entry:

[Auto]

1=Lua DynamicFriction

(This assumes that you want to automatically enable this .lua file only; otherwise, number the new entry accordingly)

That's it, I believe.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Guys, do any of You tried the fix with PMDGs JS41?

I have found, that speeding slowly to ~25kts and bring props to beta (~3-5% Torque, 72% RPM) it took more than a minute to slow down to ~12-15kts. Is that OK? I used tarmac for this.

That file is named DynamicFriction.lua and is part of the Lua Plugins Package located here: http://forum.simflig...and-wideclient/

Assuming you have FSUIPC installed (and you should) --

Download the Lua Plugins Package zip file and unzip one of the contained files, DynamicFriction.lua, into your FSX/Modules folder

Open your FSUIPC4.ini file in Notepad and edit it to include this entry:

[Auto]

1=Lua DynamicFriction

(This assumes that you want to automatically enable this .lua file only; otherwise, number the new entry accordingly)

That's it, I believe.

I've been waiting for the fog of acronyms to clear since this thing started! Muchos gracias. I does however, correspond to what I finally ended up with through the well known method of 'Trial and Error'

Oh, and it does work beautifully! Thank you gurus.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

It happened in 2012, when Santa Claus applied a fix for too high ground friction. ^_^