Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 12/2 - Lost DC-3

We get to hunt another downed Gooney. This one appears to be in the forest and based on the EP's, it could be a tough one.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Found it, this is how an Aerocache should be.

You need to plot a search area. After flying some search pattern found it. Took me about 30 minutes from engine start to discover the wreck.

Obviously not in the forest is it? MS Flight's website picture was not real clear, or maybe it was just my old eyes. I thought it was close to the trees. Oh well. :lol:

Glad you found it. I am going to hunt it this morning.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I throught it was a very easy one, Circle the airfield and head out SE for 12 miles and there it is. Least got to fly a bit to find this one! Their discription leaves little to the imagination.

Steve

I, on the other hand, had a very tough time. First, I never check in game for the description, but get it instead from the Flight web site. There, it was called "Lgiugig" airstrip.

Great, did a Google Maps search for "LGIUGIG" and came up with ... nothing! No such place, thank you. What? O.K., tried Bing, because maybe it's a Microsoft thing. Nope, nothing there either.

Finally, I went in game and found that it is "IGIUGIG" airstrip. Understandable mistake, L make it myself often. :lol:

The web site also said that it was 6 miles SE of the airstrip so I plotted a course in GMap from Khokanok to Igiugig with a stop-and-go at Big Mountain and a fly-over somewhere around the lakes 6 miles SE of Igiugig before landing. Nice flight, enjoyable view, but when I got to the lakes, no Aerocache. I flew over all the lakes in the direction of the airstrip and nothing! :unsure:

Igiugig_Lakes.jpg

Fine, time to broaden the search, and fly farther and in a search pattern in other directions. Finally, I saw Reindeer Lake on the Map, 10½ miles away, and that was it.

All in all, a longish flight and not as easy as others. Perhaps Chloe at MGS could deliberately make the descriptions misleading every now and then just so that the searches are more interesting. :lol:

Best regards.

Luis

The description says 12nm SE of IGIUIG.

So i plotted a course on a sectional chart to this approximate point and made 3nm circle around it.

In this area i looked.

And it`s quite difficult to find something with the ingame markers disabled.

But i hate alle the ingame markers, i deactivated them months ago and never turned them on.

It`s a bit harder to fly jobs and aerocaches, but it`s 1000% more fun to find your way through alaskan wilderness.

I found the cache this morning. The marker came up 5 miles out which was interesting. I did have to dodge a few trees when I got close to the cache, but all went well and I returned to Igiuig and landed. Added another cache, and another airport that I hadn't landed at before.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

I still do this day, with all the hours I had put into Flight, have yet to do an aerocache hunt.

At least that leaves me something I have not yet done, to keep me going in Flight for a while hopefully.

I still do this day, with all the hours I had put into Flight, have yet to do an aerocache hunt.

At least that leaves me something I have not yet done, to keep me going in Flight for a while hopefully.

It's funny how people approach the game differently. I go back again and again for the caches - I have 173 - but I've flown only one job. (My ten year old daughter likes flying the jobs, however.) I've done some of the clallenges, but I have many left to do.

My current obsession is tallying up unique airport landings, so after I get the cache I fly around the area and try to add four or five I haven't gotten yet.

When I have more time to spend (like an hour or more), I also have a continuing sightseeing project where I'm flying the Cub from the western tip of the Aleutians along the coast to the Ketchikan area.

But it's the daily aerocaches that keep me coming back nearly every day, rather than once a week or so.

It's funny how people approach the game differently. I go back again and again for the caches - I have 173 - but I've flown only one job. (My ten year old daughter likes flying the jobs, however.) I've done some of the clallenges, but I have many left to do.

Yes and I am just the opposite I guess, I had a blast flying most of the challenges, and then flew just a ton of cargo jobs and some clandenstine jobs. Sounds like the aerocache's are just the thing to keep the interest perked for a bit.