Sign in to follow this  

Whenever I post here I never seem to get a reply so if anyone has even a remote idea of how to help it would be appreciated.

After upgrading to a GTX670FTW that was working perfectly I started getting strange stutters in the sim. For the past week or so I've been tearing my hair out defragging, testing various drivers etc etc etc.

I noticed my custom overclock of 4.7 had been set by itself to 4.3 in the bios, I also just did a stress test with Prime95 and CPU core temps are reaching 90c and still rising after a few minutes (I shut down the test) Idle temps at 4.3ghz are showing 34c.

I take it 90c is too high under Prime95? or should i just leave it to run?

Should add I work as a contractor out in the Persian Gulf, my simulator sat switched off for most of the summer in a hot room (60c+) while I was in the UK, could this have damaged the CPU in any way?

Any help would be appreciated. The GTX670 was supposed to be the final part of my sim before I stop tweaking and fly more, now I'm stuck with a PC that is stuttering like crazy.

Cheers

Rob Prest

That's getting pretty warm. Sitting in a warm room isn't bad but dust could be a problem. I'd take the cooler off, clean off the TIM , reseat it and go from there.

Thanks dude, will give that a try. I had a similar problem on my old core2duo last year, idle temps we're 70c the strange thing this time round is the I5 at idle seems to be normal at 30+c

I'm hoping that it is the heat sink, I've been trying to locate these stutters for a while.

Thanks again mate :)

Edit: Ran Prime95 one last time before I open up the case, it hit 100c :/

Rob Prest

Definitely reseat the heat sink with new TIM and clean the CPU and heat sink well. Could have gotten knocked loose and created air pockets when moving to or from storage. Start simple first then move to other things.

Re-seat that heatsink/waterblock and apply new TIM. After that, be sure to carefully monitor temps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hiya Rob

Do you have a picture of the inside of your case with the side off?

Also, its worth checking to make sure your BIOS is up to date, and the systemboard software is up to date too..

Your specs don't show what CPU cooler your using, or system case? These can impact cooling a lot too..

I found that with my board, the ASUS software was reporting temp's that were half what it should be and actually was, but when I upgraded the software, the temps then showed correctly.

Thanks for the tip Richard, this system has been running for 6 months, the aircon in houses out here are pretty extreme and the case and colling system on my rig is good. I think leaving it alone over the summer with the aircon switched off combined with having the side of the case open was a pretty bad move on my part!

I am expecting some thermal paste to arrive this evening, will reset the heat sink and CPU and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help guy's.

Rob Prest

Yep, basically the CPU is so hot that it's throttling back to prevent damage. Don't run it at those temps, or you will hasten the degradation of the chip.

Degraded chips are never a good idea, you want them straight out of the fryer, in good nick, with battered cod. With a pickled egg too.

Hey Rob

I'd also recommend a product called "Liquid metal" as your replacement thermal paste...

I've just used it on 2 identical builds, and while its pig to apply, seems to work great, CPU cools down so much faster and shaved off 5+deg from idle temp too..

Hi all,

Well the cpu is running cooler but the strange stutter was still there. I did some more research and it turns out intel rapid storage was causing the issue! I have disabled it and the sim is smooth as silk again.

Many thanks, I can get back to flying!

Rob Prest

Hey Rob

I'd also recommend a product called "Liquid metal" as your replacement thermal paste...

I've just used it on 2 identical builds, and while its pig to apply, seems to work great, CPU cools down so much faster and shaved off 5+deg from idle temp too..

But not on alloy heat sinks... it melts them!

But not on alloy heat sinks... it melts them!

Yeah, what he said. :acute:

I did some more research and it turns out Intel rapid storage was causing the issue!

Interesting, I have that too and doesn't look like it causes me any Grief.

How did you research the problem, online searching or manual testing/experimenting?

Did you find it to be a software problem or actually an Intel chip gone wrong?

Hi all,

Well the cpu is running cooler but the strange stutter was still there. I did some more research and it turns out intel rapid storage was causing the issue! I have disabled it and the sim is smooth as silk again.

I noticed that Intel RS was causing loads of problems (lockups, BSODS) uninstalled it and have had much better results.

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Hi all,

Glad you're back up and running.

Yeah, what he said. :acute:

Interesting, I have that too and doesn't look like it causes me any Grief.

How did you research the problem, online searching or manual testing/experimenting?

Did you find it to be a software problem or actually an Intel chip gone wrong?

I was clutching at straws, had noticed an icon on my start bar for Intel rapid storage (not sure how it got there) after checking online I found a few people who had the same issues as me, apparently updating the software will fix the problem, I just disabled it.

Good to be flying again :)

Cheers

Rob Prest