Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Sweet FX

Do you use windowed or full screen mode for FS2004? (I use windowed mode, maybe that's the problem.)

Harald I believe this only works in fullscreen mode, because otherwise the Windows drivers kick in, and the settings driving the game get confused.

I never use windowed FS9 mode, because game settings are quite different from other software I use.

Ran into SweetFX back in mid November and posted about it in my ENB series thread but I guess it didn't get noticed. SweetFX has another added benefit for AMD graphics users which is that you can inject it with RadeonPro - I have found my system to be unstable with any d3d9.dll mods that go in the FS9 folder but with SweetFX injected with RP I am getting great results.

(Everything in fullscreen mode)

Geoff

Now that I start looking, I see quite a bit of earlier discussion about this, don't know why I never made the FS9 connection.

The attraction particularly for me, is to change things on the fly; ENB always seemed so huge and complicated, by the time you'd eventually loaded up the sim again it all seemed a bit remote.

Anyway Geoff sounds like you have good experience, perhaps share some of your more successful settings?

Harald I believe this only works in fullscreen mode

Unfortunately, this "flashing" occurs in full screen mode, too.

I checked my DX9 once again, it is the latest.

While tis plays no role for the VC users, for me it is very disturbing, so that I have to abandon SweetFX until perhaps there is a solution for this. Very pity, as my FS2004 looked very nice with SweetFX...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

You sure you don't have a remnant ENB bloom setting somewhere?

It is very difficult to remove from your system!

I found for example that using Recorder Module caused it to install its .ini file in the saved file folder.

No, I never used ENB.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing the problem there, Harald. Did you download a fresh one? I'm pretty sure I downloaded mine from the US server.

I fly in full screen but when I checked it also works fine in windowed mode.

If you can't get this one to work, you might want to try FXAA. It's similar to this one and ENB.

First I want to express, that I really appreciate your help!

Yes, I downloaded a fresh one from the US server. No change. I only have the idea that there is a problem with my graphic settings within FS2004 or within the Catalyst Control Center. Unfortunately these settings are an area I have quite few knowledges about.

But it's definitely a problem with the 2D panel bitmaps, as the effect occurs also when I activate the radio stack or the throttle quadrant: The more of them I activate, the more flashing I get at changing the view direction or the view mode from and to 2D panel; while a change between the other view modes (VC, Tower, Chase view) makes no problem at all.

I tried to convert a panel bmp to 24-bit- and 32-bit-bmps via DXTBMP, this brought no change.

Anyway, it will be no catastrophe not to be able to use this tool, although it gave a fine look to my FS2004.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Harald,

as Geoff wrote there was a mention of SweetFX earlier in november. Take a peek here: http://forum.avsim.n...s-with-d3d9dll/ - specifically, post #6 about a beta Radeon driver with the ability to integrate SweetFX. Maybe it will help with the flickering?

Note: I have to install the .dll into the main FS9 folder or else it does not work

Note2: SweetFX seems to be very particular about the settings file. I set up mine as FS9.txt and it resides in the main FS9 folder, which is pointed at in the SweetFX_preset.txt file.

- FS9 will not start if SweetFX doesn't find the file mentioned in SweetFX_preset.txt or finds something in the text it doesn't like in the settings file.

- FS9 will crash if SweetFX finds something that it doesn't like in the settings after you've edited it with FS9 running. Also, FS9 will not start anymore.

I had to overwrite my settings file FS9.txt with default values from SweetFX_settings.txt on a couple of occasions just to get FS9 running again.

Still not decided if it is better than ENB, though. More testing needed.... :smile:

Regards,

Jure

Hi Jure,

thanks, I will try that over the weekend. I found RadeonPro v. 1.1.1.0 (preview version) and I hope that is the latest version.

As I said, SweetFX gives a very nice look in my FS2004, but I like my sim without it, too, as this flashing or flickering in view change is really annoying.

• Upvote 1

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

So, that's it. The newest version of Radeon Pro is exclusively for WinNT 6.x, that means Vista or Win7, as shown up at the beginning (and for me the end) of the install process. I have XP (and I will stay with it, mainly because of FSHotSFX), so I give up trying SweetFX due to the described flickering/flashing.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I'll pin this as it contains some helpful info for fs9 users.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I downloaded and put all the files as mentioned by OP in root FS9...FS9 would not start...is there an installer or does someone have which files need to be put in root? I use ENB right now with Pablo Diaz's d3d9.dll...I notice that sweetfx has several .dlls.

BTW I took all the files out of the root, now FS9 works fine.

Just need a basic overview and recommended setup.

Thanks

Rich

Sorry I'm new to the world of sweetfx and would appreciate a basic vector check. When I unzip the SweetFX 1.4.7 there is a subdirectory called SweetFX, a SweetFX_settings.txt, presets, readme file and 6 other files (injector.ini, d3d9.fx, dxgi.fx, shader.fx, d3d9.dll, and dxgi.dll).

Within the SweetFX subdirectory (folder) are two subfolders: dlls and shaders. If I open the dlls folder, I have an FXAA DX9 dll folder, and a SMAA dlls folder. In the FXAA DX9 dll folder there is another d3d9.dll file. Within the SMAA folder are a d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll file.

The question is--what, how do I load these into the FS9 root directory? Do I leave the SweetFX folder in tact or do I open it and put all the dlls and shaders into the root?

Seems like multiple d3d9.dlls is not good and probably will prevent FS9 from working at all.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Rich

I am also having problem(s) getting FS9 and SweetFx to play nice together. I have carefully read everything provided with SweetFx and installed to the FS9 root folder as per the instructions. However, when I attempt to start FS9, as soon as I click the executable I receive a error message, "Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microsoft DirectX installed on your computer is incompatible. Please reinstall DirectX 9.0 by running Flight simulator Setup, or download the current version from www.microsoft.com/directx.) I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) installed. Does anyone have a answer for this? Is anyone else having this issue? I have searched far and wide with no helpful results.

Any thoughts at all would be very welcome. In the mean time I will continue to bash my head on my desk / try to find the fix by accident.

Regards to all,

Mel