Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Sweet FX

Think I'll give this a miss. I can't install it without FS9 refusing to start up. And I always fly with 2D cockpits. And my sim already looks great, with nice depth of colour and sharpness. If I could get it to install so as FS9 runs, I'd experiment, but I've already wasted a couple of hours to no avail.

Enjoy!

:-)

After testing WingZ' settings, I think it must be a problem of my graphics setting. Of course the flashing is still there... but beside this, my FS2004 looks like a Disney cartoon with these settings, while WingZ' screenshots don't look this way at all... My sim looks best with only bloom switched on and nothing else...

And now comes the strange thing: With ENB the flashing effect is even worse than with Sweet FX. As both applications use the d3d9.dll, it must be an incompatibility of this dll with either my FS2004 graphics settings or with my GPU settings.

Finally I end all trials and enjoy my sim as it is.

Have fun!

Harald

@ Mel: Of course you're right. The biggest panel bitmaps flash most. My observation depended an how big the panels were actually shown in the sim. I didn't realize that the little INS panel of the B727 is in fact the biggest bmp file in the 727's panel folder. I loaded a plane with no panel file smaller than 3 MByte and the effect did almost blind me...

Regarding 2D: When hovering in a heli I hardly can resist using VC. But in a real airplane (maybe simulating Captain, First Officer and Flight Engineer like in the DC-6 or the 727) I'd find it strange to leave my pilot seat and to move to the FE's desk.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I suspect using 10-year old simulator software on modern systems is going to be more and more of an issue - how long can one (as I do) hang on to WIN XP I wonder?

Just a random thought: when I go out of fullscreen, to select a different aircraft for example, I see the "solarised" effect you are describing.

I am wondering if this is not maybe due to the fact that FS9 has specific graphics settings, different from WIndows default used for other programmes.

The "injected" SweetFX shaders then meet something foreign and behave strangely. 

Perhaps tinkering with the default (non-fullscreen) graphics settings could have an effect?

Maybe that's the point. I will play with these settings later, as I have to fly a little in between!

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Absolutely incredible! I downloaded sweetfx configurator as well and spent a few hours dialing in settings--HDR, Technicolor etc etc...run the configurator while flying and tweak as you go. I use nhancer with NickN settings for FS9...seems to work well together.

The only minor negative at this point is, as you enhance daytime settings, adding brightness and contrast (actually making FS9 look less dingy), you may see pitch black (provided by REX)lighten up a bit...but I'm sure I can find a proper balance between daytime/nightime environments.

Thanks to OP for this brilliant addition to FS9.

Rich

What a breakthrough!

Could someone post settings for FS9.

Thanks

Ghiom

Is there a video out there with before and after comparison in Fs9 with this enhancer app?

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Probably... but it has a split-screen function so you can directly compare Before and After, in your own sim, which is what counts.

Has someone experienced CTD when going back to FS9 full screen?

I had two in 3 sessions, at two different places with two different addon planes...

No dll crash report, only FS9.exe...

Thanks

Ghiom

Yesterday I have switched SweetFX in my FS9 and I can only say it is simply just amazing. It heavily improves the visual feeling and makes my simulator looking times better. I just love it.

I am running my FS9 on Windows XP SP3 system with the following hardware:

MB GIGABYTE G41MT-S2PT /Intel G41/ VGA/ LGA775

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 /2.93G/ 1066/ 3MB/ LGA775 BOX

2x DDR3 2GB 1333MHz KINGSTON

VC Sapphire HD7770 OC 1GB GDDR5 256bit

HDD 3.5", 500GB, WD Caviar Blue, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, SATA3

The most noticeable thing is that it makes the image much clearer and stronger compared to the default FS9 blurry visualization. It also makes the colours vibrant and looking real like. In general, SweetFX tunes up heavily the visuals in FS9 and you get much more real picture, its like you are not on FS9 any more.

I see people here complaining of flickering and flashing when switching the views, but I never got this issue so far, so I believe it is hardware and FS9 settings and environment dependant. However, I can barely say it is improving the FPS, in fact I notice some slight decrease but this is something I can deal with. The other thing that is a bit of an issue here is with the AA. It looks like the SweetFX is overriding my Catalyst settings and doing the thing on its own. I have tried to get the best AA with tweaking the SweetFX settings but I still get some problems on the edges, it is not smooth as it is in the default FS9 mode. I would be happy if you share some hints on the AA and help me getting best of it. Also, I will be glad if you share some of your settings for getting best performance.

Here is a beautiful shot I took from my FS9 with SweetFX enabled. Nice, isnt it.

1005301_10151705433488334_618996690_n.jp

I like it... a lot  :wub:  

Something to try: disable AA in the sim and let the externals drive it.

Or, if that's what you are already doing, enable AA in the sim! 

I like it... a lot  :wub:  

Something to try: disable AA in the sim and let the externals drive it.

Or, if that's what you are already doing, enable AA in the sim! 

Hey WingZ,

Thanx replying. Is this the way you use SweetFX? I have tried SWFX in another game - World Of Tanks and it works perfectly there without breaking the AA. However, it is much newer game and I run it on W7 rather on WXP...

I'm no expert, I just tinker.

I do this:

Picture1.jpg

and seem to get a reasonable AA result:

a2m.png

Looking marvellous. Thanx for giving a hand here. What is your VC btw?

The most noticeable thing is that it makes the image much clearer and stronger compared to the default FS9 blurry visualization. It also makes the colours vibrant and looking real like. In general, SweetFX tunes up heavily the visuals in FS9 and you get much more real picture, its like you are not on FS9 any more.

Can you give your config please?