Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Sweet FX

In my install I did what the readme said, install to Fs9 root folder.

You'd want to check that you don't have duplicates floating around, perhaps in the Modules folder.

I removed one or 2 of the Sweetfx files out of interest (leaving the injector in place), and the sim failed to start.

Here's the Readme:

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.

/ Installation /

'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

1) Extract or copy all the files into the directory of a game exe (keeping the file structure intact).

The installed files are:

d3d9.dll - DirectX 9 proxy dll that will inject shaders into DirectX 9 games

d3d9.fx - DirectX 9 specific shader code

dxgi.dll - DirectX 10/11 proxy dll that will inject shaders into DirectX 10/11 games

dxgi.fx - DirectX 10/11 specific shader code

shader.fx - Alternative DirectX 9 specific shader code for FXAA support.

injector.ini - Settings for the shader injector dlls - you can reconfigure the keys used in this file

SweetFX readme.txt - This readme

SweetFX_preset.txt - You can choose which settings file to load here - default is to load SweetFX_settings.txt

SweetFX_settings.txt - SweetFX settings. Effects can be turned on and off here, and their settings can be tweaked.

SweetFX/ (directory) - The SweetFX subdirectory.

|- /Presets/ - Presets are stored here.

|- /Shaders/ - All the shaders, except d3d9.fx and dxgi.fx are stored here.

|- /dlls/ - Alternative DirectX proxy dlls are stored here.

| |- /FXAA DX9 dll/ - You will need to use the FXAA DX9 dll to use FXAA. Copy it over the one in the main folder.

| '- /SMAA/ - The SMAA dlls if you need to return to them. These are the same as the ones in the main folder.

|- /Game_Compability.txt - Can't make SweetFX work with a game? - You can find help here.

'- /Making shaders.txt - A few hints on making custom shaders for SweetFX.

log.log - This logfile is not installed, but will be created when the DirectX proxy dll runs.

If something goes wrong, this file will usually tell you why.

Some games require special attention - You can find a list of those and instructions on how to get them working with SweetFX

in SweetFX/Game_Compability.txt

If you encounter a game not in the list that requires more effort to work with SweetFX, post about it in the official thread

on Guru3d : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376265

2) Install the latest DirectX update if you haven't already

Last I looked it was here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

(You don't need any of the other stuff Microsoft tries to push - just DirectX)

Here is a quick update; I did a fresh install of SweetFx (for about the third time), again following the instructions carefully. SweetFx  and FS9 are playing nice now, everything is working. I couldn't see the forest because of all the trees! So anyone having the same issue, all I did was reboot the PC as soon as SweetFx was installed. One further bit of advice, . . . . , don't bang your head on your desk, . . . it is not good for the desk.

Thanks to all, especially WingZ for all the posts regarding SweetFx.

Regards,

Mel

Very glad you came right Mel, sorry about the desk...

I think it's a brilliant bit of work, and a real game changer for FS9 (and a lot of other PC games too, I believe)

Very glad you came right Mel, sorry about the desk...

The desk didn't complain much, . . . . . , at least if it did I didn't hear it. I have a strange loud ringing in my ears for some reason, and my head - "my God, it's full of stars!" :biggrin:

Time to start tweaking. FS9 and tweaking! What in the world would we all have to do if it had been perfect when it was released? Microsoft think tank; "Hey lets release it the way it is, the aircraft are okay, just, . . the scenery is okay, barely, the textures are almost good, and the airports are at least on the correct continent, mostly. Once the customers get tired what we give them they'll spend years and years trying to fix it so it looks and works right."  :p0504:

Best regards,

Mel

• Upvote 1

Would this software replace or work alongside nVidia Inspector? Or set up a conflict that will just lead to tears?

Am downloading it now, but won't install until I have learned a bit more about it... (it is OK in Win7 64-bit, yes? It says it works with 32-bit game applications, but it is supported in a 64-bit O/S, isn't it?).

Thanks.

Hi,

the pinned thread encouraged me to do another try with Sweet FX. But unfortunately, the annoying flickering or flashing of the 2D panels when changing the viewing direction or changing the view mode is back again. (I use 2D panels exclusively.)

I have set

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1

#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1

using the default values for Lumasharpen.

The normal sight is this:

Then, in the moment I change the view, it looks like a lightning flashes over my panel (at some items as Curves the panel doesn't get brighter but darker, almost black). It got even worse after this shot was taken:

Is there any possibility to use Sweet FX with 2D panels? May there particularly a setting within the FS2004 graphics menue I have to enable or disable? Has anybody else at all observed this effect, too?

Btw, I have an ATI GPU with Catalyst Control Center with the Catalyst version 13-1. When making the first attempts, I had 12-8. As described above, Radeon Pro doen't work at my WinXP system.

Many many thanks!

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I noticed there is a sweetFX configurator....wherein you can make adjustments right along side windowed FS9....about to download...I have ENB setup (with Feng's settings)....is this incompatible with sweetfx?

Appreciate the advice.

Rich

Btw, I have an ATI GPU with Catalyst Control Center with the Catalyst version 13-1. When making the first attempts, I had 12-8. As described above, Radeon Pro doen't work at my WinXP system.

Hi Harald.

It seems you are not alone, I'm using a GeForce GTX280 GPU and I am seeing the same or similar issue. When I change views in 2d I get a brief flash of what looks to be extremely over saturated textures. If or when I find the cause I'll be sure to let you know. Since not everyone is reporting this issue I am suspecting that it may be GPU driver settings and SweetFX settings trying to cope with a merge of their settings.

Regards,

Mel

• Upvote 1

Hi Mel,

your description fits - it's obviously the same effect. The flashing occurs when I activate Blooming or Luma Sharpen, the oversaturated textures appear with S-Curves enabled...

I would much appreciate if you find the cause for this behaviour. I have very few knowledges about the settings of GPU drivers or graphics settings at all - and limited time to test.

But anyway, if there is no solution it won't be the end of the world for me. I can live well with the unsweetened FS2004.

Many thanks!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I have the same problem as Mel had. I have installed (and re-installed) the files as instructed and checked carefully that all the SweetFx files that should be in my FS9 root folder are indeed there and that the SweetFx directory has installed correctly. I get:

"Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microsoft DirectX installed on your computer is incompatible. Please reinstall DirectX 9.0 by running Flight simulator Setup, or download the current version from www.microsoft.com/directx".

I have rebooted after each installation, but cannot start FS at all. I have FS9 in Windows 7 64-bit and DirectX 11, but that is supported as far as I can see.

Am I going to have to forego the pleasure of SweetFX then?

Martin

LATER: I deleted the files d3d9.dll and d3d9.fx as I see these are for DirectX 9. Maybe (???) you shouldn't have both these and the dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx files installed together. I didn't see anything in the installation instructions about that so probably removing the files 'nobbles' the programme: though I now have FS running, I can see no difference at all between the visuals with and without SweetFx installed (taken side by side screenshots too). I did tweak some of the settings as recommended here - but nothing as far as I can detect. So probably those two DirectX 9 files were vital??

If anyone can help ...

Thanks

One other thought. With nVidia Inspector and nVidia Control Panel installed, do I really need SweetFX too? I have already given extra depth to colours and so on using those programmes...

I would much appreciate if you find the cause for this behaviour. I have very few knowledges about the settings of GPU drivers or graphics settings at all - and limited time to test.

There shouldn't be anything to change in your GPU settings or even your monitor settings for that matter. Are you trying to work from the default settings that came with SweetFx? If you are I suggest you check out the topic titled "Carenado Releases King Air C90 for FS9" in the FS2004 (FS9) forum, post #17, WingZ has attached a SweetFx_settings file that is a good start. That is what I am using as a starting point. I am currently learning my way through all the settings and their effects in general and in combination with each other. Mostly I will be toning down things bits at a time until I am satisfied with the visual look and hopefully get the 2d cockpit flash fixed at the same time. One observation so far: I have seen that in the default C172 the problem is barely noticeable, yet, with the same settings the Aeroworx King Air 200 is really badly over saturated (if that is the correct description). I'll continue and if I find anything suitable that may work for you as well, I will PM you. In the mean time maybe someone else will overcome this and share that with us.

If anyone can help ...

Type "SweetFX" in AVSIMs search bar there is a topic there for FSX on SweetFX about 8 pages of discussion - that might be of some help. As far as I can tell, all of the files in the SweetFx download should be installed as per the instructions. SweetFx will run on a 64bit OS and with DX9, DX10 and DX11. I would guess your problem is Windows 7 not registering the new .dlls properly.

Regards to all,

Mel

Hi Mel, I think the solution to "our" problem will be found randomly...

When I tried Sweet FX the first time, I played around with nearly all parameters, and I always had this flashing, oversaturating or whatever in any kind and any intensity depending on which paraneter I did activate and which I did not. Nevertheless I will apply WinZ' settings as a test.

The problem is that at this time most people use virtual cockpits. I do not; it's just my preference. I didn't recognize the effect in VC, but only in 2D cockpit. My impression is: The smaller the bitmap, the stronger the effect.

Today in the evening I will try ENB mod as an alternative.

Regards, Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Harald,

Again we seem to share the same tastes. I seem to use the 2d panel most of the time. I have seen no problems with the VC in either the C172 or the KA B200. As I mentioned the effect is much greater in the B200 in which the main panel is 1280 x 960 and the rest of the view textures are 1024 x 768. The default C172 has only one view bit map - the main view and it / they are either 640 x 338 or 1024 x 541. So I am seeing the opposite of what your impression is. Here is a thought, . . perhaps it is related to the number of view textures for the panel and plane being flown? I will look into that.

I should also mention that the problem is visible with / on all of the pop up windows in the KA200 as well. Hmmmmmmmm!

Regards,

Mel