Sign in to follow this  
Dan F

A Dark Secret...I confess!

This has been bothering me for some time now and I just had to get it off my chest.

I have been very busy of late at work and as a result I find myself flying less and less. However, when I do fly I am flying some things that I never thought I would enjoy flying. At first I thought I just needed some variety in my life and I made some quick hops in what I will call "the other". It was innocent and I really didn't intend to spend much time with "the other". I was "slumming" and "taking a night off". Then I noticed when I went back to "my regular" I would be thinking about "the other". Even while at work, in my limited down time, I would catch myself looking up Flightaware flight plans for "the other" and hoping "my regular" wouldn't notice. I found I spent lots of time looking up flight ops manuals and reading about RW ops with "the other". I may even have ordered some movies over the internet that show "the other" being put through its paces. I even watched them alone in the dark with the doors closed so I wouldnt be disturbed. I know this is bad but it feels so right. When I flying "the other" I feel so alive and "connected".

I have however decided I have to live my life openly and honestly and now accept these desires and own them..."the other" has become "my regular".

As I am aware that admitting my problem is the first step -

I am Dan and I am an MD-11/MD-80 addict. I haven't flown my 737 in about 3 months and I am really not missing it.

Seriously though!

I use the Flight1 Super 80 Pro and the PMDG MD-11F the most and cannot be happier. While these aircraft aren't up to the standard that the NGX is they sure do fly nice and make a pilot happy.

Any other "Brand X" aviators out there? You can admit it...it's ok. :lol:

Hello Dan (altogether)

Haha, clever story. I have a confession, too. I've been a convert to FSX for a while now, but the low performance in aircraft like the NGX at minimums at payware airports is enough squeeze much of the fun out of simming. Lately I've been doing more and more flying in FS9 in the level-d. I initially told myself "I'll just see what it's like" because I know the eye candy in FSX is so much better. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but I LOVE it. FS9 is where I started and it brought back great (bug free) memories. I downloaded the AMAZING CYVR freeware and the CYYZ package from avsim and am doing flights to Europe and Kai Tac with full weather and traffic! Best of all its completely smooth and problem free. I spent a lot of time setting up and tweaking FSX and buying addons for it so it is still my number one, and I'm not saying that just because I'm praising FS9 here on the FSX forum (FSX is the champ), but if I want a complete airline experience without any sacrifice, thats what I do. That's my dirty secret.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

LOL Nice post! ^_^

I have an even worse confession to make... I think I like the Airbus X even more then the PMDG 737NGX... I am looking forward to the Extended version of the Airbus X!

I must confess i haven't flown my iFly 737 NG or other big jet for months now, since i discovered the joy of GA flying with good (photo) scenery. Flying in the Alps (Switzerland) with my Carenado Baron 58, bush flying, just good old fashioned STOL flying with the Maule Orion, with side wind and purely on 'sight' landing.

Great! :p0502:

Sorry for the off-forum, but I was attracted by the post tittle, and since I am going across the same feelings, I thought I had to express it here too :-)

I have started enjoying something completely different... It's a flight simulator, because I never used any other games - flight is what is always in my mind, awaken or sleeping...

The fact is that the sim is a military one, something I do not really appreciate. I have bought combat sims in the past though, always for the very same reasons - the civil ones are not up to my expectations...

I got involved with DCS P-51 as much as I did early this year with MS FLIGHT. Then came FSX (again), X-Plane10, but... with all of the three, even if for different reasons but always connected to the poor modelling of some aspects of aircraft physics / systems / environment, I start finding too many problems and end in a really bad mood....

Well, here I am, using and abusing all of my spare/simmer time with a combat flight simulator, and not even coming close to being able to profit / learn all of the intricacies of the platform (for air combat) that DCS World offers.

For the time being I am simply enjoying the realism of it's flight dynamics, accurate systems modelling and great, even if limited, scenery.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Raul_Hernandez

Very good post by the OP, made me smile. :smile:

There is nothing wrong with your choices; the Coolsky Super80 Pro and the PMDG MD-11 are fantastic addons! ......... but for me, they're not quite tipping me away from the NGX now that I have the amazing FS2Crew Voice Control going on. :cool: B)

I have an even worse confession to make... I think I like the Airbus X even more then the PMDG 737NGX... I am looking forward to the Extended version of the Airbus X!

Now for that my friend, you really do need help!

:P

He does :P

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Very good post by the OP, made me smile. :smile:

There is nothing wrong with your choices; the Coolsky Super80 Pro and the PMDG MD-11 are fantastic addons! ......... but for me, they're not quite tipping me away from the NGX now that I have the amazing FS2Crew Voice Control going on. :cool: B)

Yes with fs2crew and vox atc I can fly the whole trip on voice commands alone.

My whole simming concept was tipped on its head recently . I believed i was content just meandering from one orbx field to another in my low slow plane because others were doing it and were thrilled.

I thought I was happy wearing my captains hat as a delta pmdg 737 pilot flying around in circles at 35,000ft because to do this was prestigious , apparently

And then, I found her! FSE! a whole brave new world.........

ZORAN