Sign in to follow this  
GinSprint

GAMESPY KILLS FSX MULTIPLAYER SERVER.

Guys hope you dont mind me posting this, i thought it was pretty important so posted it here as it concern alot of pilots.

Seem like gamespy has kill the fsx servers as of 17:00 yesterday. Word is because Microsoft has stopped making the game they are no longer supporting the multiplayer server.

This is yet another blow for fsx fans, although there is other servers like vatsim and fsairlines some pilots just enjoyed plodding around in the fsx mulitplayer!!

Danny.

It didn't kill FSX multiplayer, just adlib game joining. Direct ip and other options are still available. This was not precipitated by the demise of microsoft's support for FSX but rather the owner of gamespy killing it for ALOT of other titles as well. MP gaming took a hard hit to the chin as a result of this decision by the gs owners. I wonder how many games just became unplayable as a result.

It didn't kill FSX multiplayer, just adlib game joining. Direct ip and other options are still available. This was not precipitated by the demise of microsoft's support for FSX but rather the owner of gamespy killing it for ALOT of other titles as well. MP gaming took a hard hit to the chin as a result of this decision by the gs owners. I wonder how many games just became unplayable as a result.

Not quite correct ..

Microsoft decided not to continue with the service, and instructed GLU (Gamespy) to discontinue the Gamespy services for FSX, because "FSX is an Obsolete Product" , "Microsoft no longer sells FSX" and "Microsoft no longer supports FSX" .

(Quotes from my phone call yesterday to Microsoft Tech Support).

Not quite correct ..

Microsoft decided not to continue with the service, and instructed GLU (Gamespy) to discontinue the Gamespy services for FSX, because "FSX is an Obsolete Product" , "Microsoft no longer sells FSX" and "Microsoft no longer supports FSX" .

(Quotes from my phone call yesterday to Microsoft Tech Support).

Did microsoft pay gamespy to host these servers?? if not i cant see what the problem is. Many people all over the world still use it. i think MS is just pi**ed of that we simmers was right about flight and should have contued to make a fs11!!

Microsoft Flight Simulator X is still selling, have a look at pc charts

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

That sucks, I often used MP to fool around with my friends and do stuff that would normally be frowned upon in VATSIM.

It does suck, mp chat wont work anymore either

Regards;

Fritz

MP Text Chat DOES work, perfectly well when you DIRECT CONNECT.

In fact, it works better, because, if you used Gamespy to connect, and later, you lost connection to Gamespy, while you still remained in the Host's Session, your Text Chat stopped working !! ( MS FSX Bug, that was never fixed).

=============================

Yes, Gamespy was "Convenient" and "easy to use", but it had significant issues & problems.

In Hindsight, after getting over the feeling of betrayal by Microsoft, for closing it down for FSX, the reality is, that removing Gamespy from FSX opens up a great opportunity to the whole flightsim community.

P3D does not have Gamespy, and it's Multiplayer is DEAD, because of the lack of a Session Listing feature.

Now it is the same for FSX.

Now is a Golden opportunity for the Flight Sim Community to come up with a NEW, better matchmaking system that could be compatible with both FSX and P3D, (and maybe even Xplane).

The worst thing Microsoft could do to this future innovation, would be to turn FSX Gamespy back on.

So "Thank You" Microsoft for the "Mercy Killing" of FSX Gamespy.

Now is a Golden opportunity for the Flight Sim Community to come up with a NEW, better matchmaking system that could be compatible with both FSX and P3D, (and maybe even Xplane).

How long will that take, does that mean VATSIM and its strict structure is our only alternative for those who simply want take a break from realism so they can casually fly around and do stuff?

Gamespy, IMO, was a POS. Just use VATSIM or Boston ATC or something.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Gamespy was a POS, but a convenient POS nonetheless.