Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I think we have all established that this is due to a windows UPDATE not just windows 8. A lot of windows 7 (with up to date patches) users are also reporting the problem. I don't think this has anything to do with hardware or drivers, its entirely operating system API that is causing it and to be honest with everyone our best bet might be trying to find someone inside Microsoft who will relay the message to the right team to fix the actual problem. Posting to the microsoft connect forums will not get you anywhere other than their offshore team in india whereas our point needs to make it to their Seattle, WA offices:) Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you, but our only bet might be going back to Windows 7 pre December patches (not sure how that's even doable) and disable auto updates.

I tend to agree. I had never had a problem with losing controls with Windows 7 until some time in November. Since then I have not been able complete a flight without losing controls. I have since done a complete reinstall of Windows 7 and FSX and I still have the problem. The only thing that makes sense is that an update caused the problem. The only other suspect is FSUIPC. I had been running 4.85 but upgraded to the newest module yesterday and still am having an issue. I'm trying to find an older version to see if the perhaps the Prepar3d compatability with the newer versions might be causing a problem. I've been using FSUIPC to run my controlers but am going to try going back to the FSX axis assignments...We'll see what happens. I guess Pete Dowson is away til January 14th..

Steve Giblin

Just completed a flight without issues but I don't use FSUIPC either. That said I don't believe that FSUIPC is the issue. It has to do with a low level OS interface puking out and maybe related to the Metro UI which times-out processes after 30 seconds as it was developed to support phone apps. EZCA doesn't like it either so we should look to a service pack for a fix.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Just completed a flight without issues but I don't use FSUIPC either. That said I don't believe that FSUIPC is the issue. It has to do with a low level OS interface puking out and maybe related to the Metro UI which times-out processes after 30 seconds as it was developed to support phone apps. EZCA doesn't like it either so we should look to a service pack for a fix.

Cheers

jja

Are you using Windows 7 or 8?

Steve Giblin

FSUIPC has got nothing to do with this. With or without it I still get the issue.

Oh well....

Steve Giblin

I just completed a flight in the NGX with no disconnect!

With windows 7 compatibility mode, the controls registered in FSUIPC and unchecked in the FS menu, I had success!

Addons used in the flight:

PMDG NGX

Flightbeam KPHX

FSDT KLAS

EZCA

I'll do further testing, including flying online and with a virtual airline acars progam and report back.

Yeah I have my joystick set up in FSUIPC as a "back up" solution because I know the joystick will disable during some time of my flight. When that occurs, I still have control of the aircraft in question. Although doing it via FSUIPC the NGX isn't as smooth in the flying by hand I don't believe.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

My game controller gets disconnected under Win8 when I use the Internet Explorer IE10 while flying. I can perform successful and long lasting flights if I am not surfing with IE10.

Is anyone suffering from disconnects if using another Internet Explorer than IE10?

Best regards from RelaxX

With windows 7 compatibility mode, the controls registered in FSUIPC and unchecked in the FS menu, I had success!

Addons used in the flight:

PMDG NGX

Flightbeam KPHX

FSDT KLAS

EZCA

I'll do further testing, including flying online and with a virtual airline acars progam and report back.

Can you explain how you register your joystick with FSUIPC? I never understood how that program works. There are axis and button tabs, when I go to them, its asking for individual buttons, do I have to manually configure every single button (like 15 of them) and axis on it? And how do you disable joystick in FSX?

My game controller gets disconnected under Win8 when I use the Internet Explorer IE10 while flying. I can perform successful and long lasting flights if I am not surfing with IE10.

Is anyone suffering from disconnects if using another Internet Explorer than IE10?

Now that's an interesting take on the issue. Just so happens that I do some IE10 browsing while flying in FSX. I'll try without IE10 and see how it goes. Thanks jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Have done some research regarding Windows 7. The November 13th Windows updates included 3 updates directly related to the Kernel mode driver framework. KB2761226, KB2685811, and KB2685813. The kernel mode driver framework has direct implications on plug and play and power management. I'm going to uninstall these updates and see what happens. These updates occurred right around the time that I started having problems. I'll let you know what happens.

Steve Giblin

I don't use IE10 however I usually have Chrome running...... Yet another thing to test I guess.

FWIW On my Win7 install (which Windows Update is still installing updates every time I reboot) my controllers are rock solid. If they drop, I will check recently installed updates in an attempt to nail which one it could be.

Reading back through the posts on page 3 I found this VERY interesting...

I saw on a gaming forum that some people are having luck fixing this problem by placing a copy of the Win7 version of DINPUT8.DLL (found in the WIndows\system32 directory) in the program (in this case FSX) folder. I do NOT recommend you replace the Win8 version located in Windows\system32 and/or WIndows\sysWOW64 with the older version.

I find this interesting because I originally went to Windows 8 on November 1st and completed several flights without issue. This issue popped up only a few weeks ago and sometime before that I installed PlanetSide2 which to overcome some problems, recommended I replace the DINPUT8.DLL file somewhere.

I'm in the middle of a 4 hour flight atm (under Win7) but will check this possibility and report back when I can reboot into Win8.

I went back to 7 x64 this week due to my CH yoke and pedals. They have not disconnected since the reinstall so I'll keep a close eye on my update history.

Chuck Biggins

I found that setting FSX to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode by itself seemed to fix the problem. Did you set the FSX executable file itself to run in compatibility? I've read somewhere about people also trying to run the Logitech controller software in compatibility mode if they use a Logitech joystick. I use the Extreme 3D Pro so am interested to see if that has also worked for anyone so far.