Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Just completed my second flight from KLAX-KMDW in the NGX with no disconnect! Either the windows 7 compatibility mode, FSUIPC registered controls, or perhaps both have solved this problem

so far (on windows 8) for me.

Flew on vatsim using fsinn

I found that setting FSX to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode by itself seemed to fix the problem. Did you set the FSX executable file itself to run in compatibility? I've read somewhere about people also trying to run the Logitech controller software in compatibility mode if they use a Logitech joystick. I use the Extreme 3D Pro so am interested to see if that has also worked for anyone so far.

Yes I ran the FSX.exe in windows 7 mode. And I have the same joystick as you.

My game controller gets disconnected under Win8 when I use the Internet Explorer IE10 while flying. I can perform successful and long lasting flights if I am not surfing with IE10.

Is anyone suffering from disconnects if using another Internet Explorer than IE10?

I don't use IE10 and only the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome. The compatibility mode didn't work for me either and would still let the controller disable after a while. The FSUIPC solution does actually work and can be used as a back up when the controller gets disabled though.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

Hello,

as you all know, the Windows 8 joystick issue has a random component to it. Sometimes the joysticks fails, sometimes it doesn't. As so often in the flightsim world, this fact makes people jump to conclusions and post solutions prematurely. The threads are littered with magical fixes that turn out to be ineffective only after some while.

To clear up the situation, I have compiled a list of solutions that didn't work, so that we all know what not to try, together with links to relevant posts. I will try to keep the list current until the problem is fixed.

Hardware

It's not limited to controllers of any particular brand

Unplugging / replugging the USB connector doesn't fix it

Using USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 doesn't fix it

Settings

Setting FSX to Vista compatibility doesn't fix it - neither to Win7 compatibility

Maximising FSX / going to full screen and back doesn't reproduceably fix it (my own experience)

Deactivating power-save mode for the controller doesn't fix it

Disabling UAC doesn't fix it

Using Direct X 10 Preview doesn't fix it

Other software

Using dinput8.dll from Win7 doesn't fix it - registering it with regsvr32 doesn't help

It happens on both FSX and P3D

Setting all controllers through FSUIPC and deactivating them in FSX doesn't fix it - The issue is not FSUIPC related at all

It's not exclusively related to add-on aircraft (though it may appear more often there)

Updating from Windows 7 to Windows 8 instead of doing a clean install doesn't fix it (my own experience)

The issue is most probably Windows 8 related - reports of the same problem in Windows 7 are currently anecdotal only

It's not EZCA related

It's not Internet Explorer 10 related

Not yet disproved

Updating motherboards drivers

A combination of Windows 7 compatibility mode for fsx.exe and setting up the controller through FSUIPC

Fingers crossed to get this sorted.

Regards

Have done some research regarding Windows 7. The November 13th Windows updates included 3 updates directly related to the Kernel mode driver framework. KB2761226, KB2685811, and KB2685813. The kernel mode driver framework has direct implications on plug and play and power management. I'm going to uninstall these updates and see what happens. These updates occurred right around the time that I started having problems. I'll let you know what happens.

Of those 3 updates, I only have KB2761226 and it was on 11/25. It does say "security update" though so I'm reluctant to remove it. I dont know how to reinstall it once I remove it.

EDIT : I removed the only one I have, KB2761226, and it didnt do anything I'm afraid.

I don't use IE10 and only the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome. The compatibility mode didn't work for me either and would still let the controller disable after a while. The FSUIPC solution does actually work and can be used as a back up when the controller gets disabled though.

Can someone please explain what the FSUIPC solution is and how to make it work?

I removed all three last night. I really thought it would work but I still lost the controls on the next flight. I'm going to look at the rest of the updates from that time period. Something changed in November and the updates seem a logical place to look.

Steve Giblin

Can someone please explain what the FSUIPC solution is and how to make it work?

You need a registered copy of FSUIPC. Just uncheck the controller box in FSX then enter FSUIPC and assign the axes then calibrate. You can assign buttons too. There's a bit of a learning curve but there is extensive documentation. When you use FSUIPC to assign your controllers, if they dissappear you can just enter FSUIPC then exit and they come back. Still aggravating but you can continue flying. I hope we can find out what's going on here.

Steve Giblin

Ok so I just did my 3rd flight with no disconnects! KMDW-KPHX on vatsim, logging with acars. I think this really works.

What does?

You need a registered copy of FSUIPC. Just uncheck the controller box in FSX then enter FSUIPC and assign the axes then calibrate. You can assign buttons too. There's a bit of a learning curve but there is extensive documentation. When you use FSUIPC to assign your controllers, if they dissappear you can just enter FSUIPC then exit and they come back. Still aggravating but you can continue flying. I hope we can find out what's going on here.

I did what you said:

1) Calibrate all axis in FSUIPC

2) Assign buttons to individual FS functions FSUIPC

When I disable joystick (Uncheck "enable controller" checkbox in the controller settings screen), I cannot do anything with the joystick, none of the buttons I assigned work (or the axis).

I did what you said:

1) Calibrate all axis in FSUIPC

2) Assign buttons to individual FS functions FSUIPC

When I disable joystick (Uncheck "enable controller" checkbox in the controller settings screen), I cannot do anything with the joystick, none of the buttons I assigned work (or the axis).

Be sure to remove DINPUT8.DLL from FSX folder if you put it there, and fsuipc should work with the joystick again

This doesn't work for me. When the joystick disconnects in FSX, FSUIPC doesn't see the joystick either...

Okay here is the thing. I did all what you said:

1) Removed direct input dlls and unregister them with regserv32

2) Assigned axis and buttons from FSUIPC

3) Disabled joystick in FSX

I could fly for a long time with multiple alt+tabs for the first time! The only problem is, the minute I go into FSUIPC, I can no longer see the axis moving or buttons being detected. And if I close FSUIPC, FSX also no longer sees the joystick. Its as if, if you enter FSUIPC after the point when joystick is lost, its lost for good. But if I stay in FSX, it seems to be fine.

This of course all can be a coincidence, but I still get people saying "going into FSUIPCS when joystick is lost brings it back", it certainly does not happen for me.

Hmm I think my friend has a similar issue actually. The thread creator also seems to come across this issue but we thought we set it up wrong as I've set mine up in FSUIPC and it's always been reliable for a back up solution when the joystick gets disabled from the in-game menus. So it isn't just you then - Hopefully someone can come up with a solution.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

same issue here with win8 64b and fsx. just submitted a me too at this ms page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/joystick-is-disconnecting-in-windows-8-while-using/826f7b0b-e5e9-4349-ae81-c8ef118e7614

maybe more me too's make ms think about this issue...

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

This doesn't work for me. When the joystick disconnects in FSX, FSUIPC doesn't see the joystick either...

In my case it takes about 5-10 minutes after FSX lost the joystick until FSUIPC loses the Joystick connection as well. In my opinion this might be caused by a recent update, before mid December I never experienced this issue.