Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

It's interesting that FSUIPC manages to cling to the joystick somewhat longer than FSX. Perhaps Pete Dowson can do something with that bit of information?

It's interesting that FSUIPC manages to cling to the joystick somewhat longer than FSX. Perhaps Pete Dowson can do something with that bit of information?

In my experience it doesn't. As soon as the controller drops out in FSX, if I go into FSUIPC there are no axes or buttons detected in there either.

• D8input.dll from Win7 doesn't work.
  • This still only happens when I use the NGX (I only have the NGX and RealAir Duke on the Win8 install)
  • If I start FSX, load the NGX and walk away for half an hour and come back, the controller still works. If I interact with the sim(performing preflight flows, loading other apps such as FSInn and ASE) it lasts 5-10min before it's useless.
  • I have not been able to establish a pattern with any combination of software running (eg. No FSInn, no ASE etc.)
  • EZCA does report crashes in the Windows Event Viewer but I do not believe they are related to this problem. I have posted on Flight1 forums about this.
  • I was able to fly under these conditions without issue in November but now I cannot.

I can confirm that the following fixes the issue

1) Joystick is enabled in FSX, I go to FSUIPC and configure the joystick.

2) I disable the Joystick manually in FSX.

3) I exit FSX

4) Restart FSX

I no longer lose the joystick in mid flight. I have had multiple successful flights with several long periods of time spent in windows on multiple applications outside of FSX.

EZCA uses DMA (Direct Memory Access) which is something we used to do in the 80's. Anyway I think Win8 has problems with that and controllers in general. Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I honestly would have never spent money on Windows 8 if I knew how bad it was. I think Microsoft will be this century's AOL. Sorry, back to topic now.

3) I exit FSX

4) Restart FSX

Hehe.... This always brings my controller back for a while. :P

PS: Setting up through FSUIPC and disabling the joystick did not work for me. It was going fine for a while but upon entering the FSUPIC interface to check something, BANG.... no controller.

Okay I left that bit out, if you enter FSUIPC, joystick WILL disconnect, the trick is to not to do that:)

What fixed it for me:

fsuipc registered controls/disabled FSX controls, windows 7 compatibility mode, and dont access fsuipc menu while in flight!

This is awesome! Thanks everyone who mentioned this

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that it appears it has fixed it for me.

The key I think is to have the controller enabled when you set up FSUIPC, then disable it in FSX after. Then restart FSX and ensure the disabled controller setting has stuck. The first time I did it, the controller was enabled again when I went back into FSX so the problem still existed. Does anyone remember the line in FSX.cfg to ensure it's disabled.

Running in WIndows 7 compatibility mode was not the fix for me and for users of FS2Crew this is not recommended. Trevah, can you confirm if the problem returns if you don't run in Win7 Compat mode, now that you have set up controller in FSUIPC?

The key I think is to have the controller enabled when you set up FSUIPC, then disable it in FSX after

While this might be a good workaround, it has two small shortcomings: 1. You cannot use the mouse to pan around in the virtual cockpit. 2. It's not possible to use the joystick to slew the aircraft.

I have it set so I don't actually disable the controller in the FS game menu but when it conks out, FSUPIC still works and takes over. Then I can still use the mouse to pan around the virtual cockpit - Although it seems some people are unable to do that and must have the controller disabled to get FSUIPC working.

It is a workaround and would rather have a fix for it for sure.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

I have it set so I don't actually disable the controller in the FS game menu but when it conks out, FSUPIC still works and takes over. Then I can still use the mouse to pan around the virtual cockpit - Although it seems some people are unable to do that and must have the controller disabled to get FSUIPC working.

It is a workaround and would rather have a fix for it for sure.

I've tried that yesterday and it seems to have done the trick, I was able to complete a real time flight from LGAV-LSZH (approx. 3 hours) without the joystick disconnecting. I encourage everyone experiencing this issue to click on "me too" on the following thread:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/unable-to-use-the-joystick-while-playing-fsx-on/1de533c3-08d3-4ae7-850a-cde2b76122ca Eventually Microsoft will notice if there are enough votes.

Trevah, can you confirm if the problem returns if you don't run in Win7 Compat mode, now that you have set up controller in FSUIPC?

Yes without win7 mode it disconnects shortly after. But just win7 mode is not enough because without fsuipc it disconnects from the standard fsx controls too.

Windows 7 compatibilitiy + fsuipc registered controls = no disconnects for me! every other combination has failed

I too can report good experiences with FSUIPC. I didn't need to set FSX to run in Win7 compatibility mode either.

I leave the controller activated in FSX and in FSUIPC at all times. That results in double input (noticeable at view panning, for instance, which is double as fast), which doesn't seem to present any real problems however. When the controller drops out in FSX, it still works through FSUIPC.

That, as a workaround, is good enough for me, and I'm now happy with the Win8-FSX combination.