Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I'm excited to test your recent proposed solutions. Finally something optimistic is happening in this matter, unsurprisinly not from MS side.

I tried Ctrl+K many times, no luck (although not with FSUIPC assignements).

Eh, it was worth a shot. :-(

The FSUIPC option works independent of any other fix. I just didn't want to mess with my setup to see if Ctrl-K worked by itself also.

Hi Guys.

I solved the joystick issue issue by running fsx in windows 8 in Aero Lite mode as listed here http://www.askvg.com...-windows-8-rtm/

I noticed in Windows 7 everytime I ran fsx, it would turn aero off. So I did the same thing in Windows 8 and voila. No disconnects. I can click in and click out as many times as I want and my joystick doesn't disconnect. I can use super traffic board as well.

Try it guys. It will work. B)

I created the theme and it is a bit sketchy looking, but I think I'll wait until some more people who still have the problem unresolved can test it out. A bit more about this. Windows 8 no longer has all the fancy interface bells and whistle collected into something called Aero that you can turn on and off en masse in the Control Panel. Some were deleted and some were built into the OS and "buried" so that they can't be turned off without creating your own DLL and intercepting certain OS system calls (Thanks Microsoft!)

You can turn off some of these visual features in Windows 8 by running the Control Panel then "System and Security"-->System-->System Properties-->Performance Options and then clicking the Visual Effects tab. Select the "Custom" radio button and turn everything off. That disables all the visual eye candy that was part of Aero in Windows 7 and is still present in Windows 8.

So still not update that fixes all this?

I mean, I don't wanna go and manually change settings everytime. It should be working out of the box, period.

Hi Guys.

I solved the joystick issue issue by running fsx in windows 8 in Aero Lite mode as listed here http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-hidden-aero-lite-theme-in-windows-8-rtm/

I noticed in Windows 7 everytime I ran fsx, it would turn aero off. So I did the same thing in Windows 8 and voila. No disconnects. I can click in and click out as many times as I want and my joystick doesn't disconnect. I can use super traffic board as well.

Try it guys. It will work. B)

I disabled the FSUIPC "fix" of having it interface with the  controller instead of FSX and P3D, so I could test out a few of the recently suggested options. The Aero Lite option resulted in losing the controller after about 15 minutes. The CTRL-K option doesn't work at all. I did not test the "Don't Lose your Stick" app.

I'm back to FSUIPC and that is bullet proof as a solution, at least for me.

After multiple flights, I can say that DLYJ does the trick.  I used to lose my joystick on every flight.  I haven't lost it at all over the last 4 flights using that program.  Right now, I am flying the NGX...and even though my joystick is not showing up in FSX or FSUIPC, I have full control of the plane.  Yes it's a crude beta, but with some tweaks and a little eye candy, I think DLYJ could become a very useful program...that is until Microsoft actually fixes the problem correctly

I downloaded the app and I will probably try it next. Here's another option from one of MS message boards, posted on 3/5/13, by someone who had been using the FSUIPC fix:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/unable-to-use-the-joystick-while-playing-fsx-on/1de533c3-08d3-4ae7-850a-cde2b76122ca?page=3&msgId=505df07d-70f0-47a5-b872-9b27283915a5

If you scroll down to the last post, he suggests that just setting the power setting on your USB hub to "never turn off", may not fix the problem and you have to go into the OS power settings. I tried it and and I'll let everyone know what I find out. I'm not that hopeful, though on this option.

On Win 8:

From Desktop mode I move to bottom left corner

Right click for a menu
Power Options
Change Power Plan
Advanced Options
Choose USB
Then toggle the selective Suspend Option

It has nothing to do with powering the joystick.  I know this because my Joystick is still lit up.  I also know this because the main calibration screen in Windows still functions.  It has something to do with the way Windows inputs the signal for FSX to read (like something is getting in the way of the signal.)

I too have been frustrated by this issue. I have WIndows 8 installed for 3 months and at first no problems then FSX CTD's , Joystick disconnects and crashed when changing PMDG aircraft. I have tried some of the given solutions but to no avail. I have gone back to Windows 7 and everything is working perfectly now. I'll wait for Windows 9 :) 8 only cost me $30 so I do not feel too out of pocket.

I am very tempted to go back to win 7 myself...or at least a dual boot system.  Windows 8 came on this computer, so I figured I give it a shot.  It works wonderfully...as long as I don't use FSX.  Unfortunately, the only reason I purchased this computer was for FSX.

It has nothing to do with powering the joystick.  I know this because my Joystick is still lit up.  I also know this because the main calibration screen in Windows still functions.  It has something to do with the way Windows inputs the signal for FSX to read (like something is getting in the way of the signal.)

I agree, but I'm a glutton for trying alternatives.

I'm having good luck so far with DLYJ

Hi to everybody  

I have subscribed in this forum to give my contribution to the solution of this long and unpleasant problem.  
I premise that this method has worked for me, but it is not said that work for everybody.  
I use FSX with Windows 8 Professional 64 bit and the joystick Saitek X52.  
All the drivers ( Windows and Saitek) and the software programs are updated to the last version.
My problem was that, some times, during a flight with B737 NGX with autopilot active, I lost the possibility to command the axis with the Saitek X52.  
The joystick was not seen by FSX anymore, but it continued to be read by the control panel of the Saitek.
The only method to again have the control of the joystick was to save the situation and restart FSX !

Fix of the problem ( for me ! ) :

Go to the hardware control panel and open " device manager ".
Localize all the USB controller, usb input devices and Human Interface Devices.
For each device open the "properties setting "
Open the tab " Power Management " ( where present, off course ! )
Remove, for all the devices, where present as default, the tip " allow the computer to turn off this device to save power "

Please take care  that this option is not present in the device manager of the Saitek X52, but in the devices USB and HID.
I think that the problem happened when, for instance, during the flight in cruise with active autopilot, it spends a lot of time without using the commands of the joystick.  
The peripheral  was disabled then by Windows and it was not more active in FSX.

This fix work fine for me !!
Finally I fly for 2 - 3 hours without loose the joystick control in FSX !

Luigi

Thanks for the heads-up regarding DLYS! It apparently solves the issue however for the life of me I can't control the thrust with my Saitek Cyborg Evo. It goes straight into reverse then pops up to full power, then reverse again... I checked and removed the axis from FSUIPC as well as disabled the joystick from within FSX, every axis works apart from the erratic throttle behaviour. BTW I chose "THROTTLE_SET" as its assignment. Also I swapped the values in "Set low/center/high" to no avail. Any ideas?

You wouldn't by any chance have both FSUIPC and DLYJ controlling your Saitek simultaneously? After I switched from FSUIPC to DLYJ, I made sure to delete all references to buttons, axes and calibration in FSUIPC.ini.

This may not be the problem, but the only time that I have seen a similar issue with the throttle would be when I accidentally had a setting for multiple throttles active, but only one throttle axis. I doubt that's your issue, but your best bet is to email the author of DLYJ. He seems pretty responsive and admits that the app is just a beta.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding DLYS! It apparently solves the issue however for the life of me I can't control the thrust with my Saitek Cyborg Evo. It goes straight into reverse then pops up to full power, then reverse again... I checked and removed the axis from FSUIPC as well as disabled the joystick from within FSX, every axis works apart from the erratic throttle behaviour. BTW I chose "THROTTLE_SET" as its assignment. Also I swapped the values in "Set low/center/high" to no avail. Any ideas?

Same thing for me.  I give up though.  I'm going back to Windows 7 next weekend.  It's absolutely ridiculous that this type of issue is being allowed to continue, and all that Microsoft will do is point the finger at the controller manufacturer and vice-versa.  It's not only the joystick issue for me though; it's the overall instability of Windows 8 when it comes to FSX.  I am nearly guaranteed an app crash when flying the NGX, and UT2 is throwing out constant errors.  It really is a crap shoot, and that's enough for me to let it go.

You wouldn't by any chance have both FSUIPC and DLYJ controlling your Saitek simultaneously? After I switched from FSUIPC to DLYJ, I made sure to delete all references to buttons, axes and calibration in FSUIPC.ini.

This may not be the problem, but the only time that I have seen a similar issue with the throttle would be when I accidentally had a setting for multiple throttles active, but only one throttle axis. I doubt that's your issue, but your best bet is to email the author of DLYJ. He seems pretty responsive and admits that the app is just a beta.

For what it's worth, I had this problem every flight after about 30 minutes in. I had an xbox controller on a usb2 port for "other" stuff and a sidewinder joystick on a usb3 port for FSX. Even when the joystick would no longer function in FSX the xbox thing always did. I switched the two round. Now my joystick on usb2 works fine for FSX and my xbox thing still works as it should. I thought of trying this DLYJ app mentioned above but I don't know what it is nor where to find it, can you help?  Google gave me no ideas whatsoever !   

Paul