Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Hello Nico,

I experience controller loss when FSX window loses focus. For example I bring up AS2012 to check metar, or ServInfo to check up on things. When I return to FSX then controller is gone. I can manage to get it back by going full screen and then back to window mode. I have noticed (maybe just blacebo effect), but losing controller and getting it back gets progressively worse as the flight time passes. Its also harder to get it back in FSX as flight time passes.

Also There are no W8 drivers released for my MOBO, so I use ones from W7. BIOS should be latest but Ill check.

Thanks,

Raimo

Hi Raimo!

Strange. Here it now work as a charm.

I hope you find out.

My setup is FSX as admin

UAC on Yes i hate it but security.

Saitek rudder

Logitech joystick extreme pro.

2 screen

USB mouse

USB keyboard

AMD processor

12Gb ram

Power setting Never sleep.

Screen saver Never. Hard disk sleep Never.

Forgot to mention one more thing i upgraded a WIFI for the network. After a recommendation by Mickeysoft.

I dont use WIFI on my FScomputer but i got the chance due some upgraded drivers..

Best regards

Nico

Nicolaus Malmgren

Sadly, after some test flying I can say that the "background processes" trick doesn't work.

Guess its just something that we cant fix by ourselves. MS needs to act and do it now.

It can happend but for me it work much better. if i overstressing the system yes. but it did not happend under normal use of flying here so far. I did a looooong haul today still not happend.after 10 flight's  Im sure it is a microsoft issue. The bad side microsoft dont think that. Let see what happend in future. A big upgrade will come.

Nicolaus Malmgren

Everyone....I use CH Products Yoke and Pedals.  A couple of nights ago my yoke and pedal continued to stop working also.  I have a two month old computer w/WIN8.  As soon as I received the computer I went into the Device Manager and shut off the option for the HUB properties, Power Management, and unclicked the blocks for "save power mode".  My yoke and pedals worked just fine.  Then, a couple of nights ago, the problem(s) started occurring.  When I put FSX in windows mode while flying, I would go to another program, such as Plan-G, ASE, or even the web browser, my controls would stop.  And, even when I would connect to FSINN, the controls would stop.  So, I started racking my brain and doing a lot of experimenting.

Yesterday, I got everything working.  I was able to access all my programs, while flying, with no problems with my controls.  The following is what I have done so far.  Not sure what fixed it, as I changed a lot of things at the same time.  I am going to reset what I've done, one at a time, to see if I can replicate the problem.

FSX.CFG file......[CONTROLS} removed the line JOYSTICKS=1.  This was done by accident.  I saved the FSX.CFG in another location, then deleted it from the FSX directory, started FSX, shut it down, and then cross checked the old cfg with the new one.  The only difference I saw immediately was the line JOYSTICKS=1 had been removed from the new cfg file.

MODULES directory......edited FSUIPC4.INI file by changing AutoScanDevices=YES to NO (I saw this "fix" on another forum)

FSFDT directory..... All .exe files I use compatibility mode Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and "Run this program as an administrator".  (The only .exe files not running in compatibility nor as administrator are in the FSCopilot directory, and they are Chrono, KochChart, Metrics, Pressure, PushBack, and Radio.)

FWINN64.EXE is the only file using compatibility mode Windows 7

Since I have everything working, I probably shouldn't mess with it, however, I just need to know, and, as my findings may help others too.  I just hope with what I have done fixes my problem for ever.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

SAFE Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

Just running FSUIPC by itself is usually enough to fix the issue. I have been running now over 6 weeks without a problem. The USB power fix works for some people, but often does not work. The AUTOSCANDEVICES=NO may or may not contribute to making FSUIPC successful as a workaround. It's one of the items that I also set and I'm not about to change it back to find out if it is a factor. I've also seen the Joysticks=1 deletion suggestion, but I have no idea whether that works or not. My fsx.cfg file has never had that setting.

If I had a take a wild guess at what is causing this issue, I would say that it has something to do with the polling interval for the joystick. In Win 8, DirectInput may have a shorter timeout setting, and when the joystick times out, legacy apps like fsx lose control of the joystick. The OS never has this problem, only certain apps. But it is definitely an OS-induced issue. FSX, P3D and XPlane all display this behavior for certain system configurations under Windows 8, as do a number of other legacy PC games that use joysticks.

Jabloom,

Thanks, but, I didn't have any problems for the last two months until a couple of days ago.  I'm just trying to figure what caused the problems, and how to fix them.  What I've done has assisted me in resolving the problems, I thought.  I surely agree with you that it's got to be an OS issue.  What do you mean running FSUIPC by itself?

I've switched to every USB port and have the same results.  Oh, I never mentioned this, that the only FSX addons I have added prior to the problem was FTX/Orbx scenery, and two Carenado aircraft.

I'm not sure about the polling interval or the DirectInput causing a shorter timeout.  If so, then it's within 1 or 2 seconds they would timeout, because, sometimes I would lose the controls as soon as I clicked on another prgm, such as ASE, Plan-G, or the web browser.  I would know I lost connectivity because FSX will show a message about controlling the a/c on the ground using certain keys for rudder control.  And, as soon as I would see that message, since I can still see FSX in the other window, I would try my controls and they wouldn't work.  If I wouldn't go to the other programs, I could fly all night with the controls working.

What do you think about the compatibility modes in the FSCopilot and FSINN directories?  What I have done, as mentioned above, do you think that may be the solution(s)?  I wouldn't think so.

With the changes, I stated above, sure did work for me last night.  Everything worked just fine.

BUT, the question still remains..........What's causing it?

Prior to writing this, I put everything back to when I was having the problems..... JOYSTICKS=1 back in the FSX.CFG file, and changed AutoScanDevices=NO to Yes.  Started FSX, ASE, FSINN, and while in window mode, I switched back and forth to these other programs, and..............THEY STILL WORKED!!!!  What is going on?  One day they work, and another day they don't.  Though, I didn't change any of the compatibility modes in the FSCOPILOT/FSINN directories.

Thanks for the response Jabloom.

Safe Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

Just wanted to add my two pennies worth, I am also experiencing this problem, I only have to switch to my VA's flight recorder to click on 'start' and, with that, its adios joystick! One click on another window!... I've watched this forum since the start and have tried every tip but to no avail. DLYS has worked now and then (go figure) but nothing has provided a permanent solution, Microsoft need to solve this not the paying customer.

Blue Skies

Will.

I can't believe this thread is still going at this rate.

Register your controls with FSUIPC, Disable your joystick in FSX menu = 100% reliable joystick availability. 

• Upvote 2

Well, in my case fsuipc doesn't even recognise joystick inputs in Windows 8.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9100

• Upvote 2

Trevah......I wish you were right, but that hasn't worked for everyone. 

SAFE Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

I can't believe this thread is still going at this rate.

Register your controls with FSUIPC, Disable your joystick in FSX menu = 100% reliable joystick availability. 

Yep. That's the answer.

Well, in my case fsuipc doesn't even recognise joystick inputs in Windows 8.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9100

It doesn't recognize it at all? Even with FSX controllers disabled and all the axes and buttons set in FSUIPC? Or it does recognize the joystick and then you lose control of it?

Trevah......I wish you were right, but that hasn't worked for everyone. 

SAFE Flyin'

Rod

I apologize to Trevah for writing the above statement as I'm not that knowledgeable in the special controls of FSUIPC.  I'm trying to get smart as I write this, and reading all the documents that came with FSUIPC.  So, I think I was out of line for writing that.  I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole thing as I've never had these problems with WIN 7, VISTA, XP, etc.  And I've had 'em all, just like most of you.  I've never had to dig into FSUIPC ever before.  I guess it's time.

Again, I apologize.

Rod

Rod Beck

I apologize to Trevah for writing the above statement as I'm not that knowledgeable in the special controls of FSUIPC.  I'm trying to get smart as I write this, and reading all the documents that came with FSUIPC.  So, I think I was out of line for writing that.  I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole thing as I've never had these problems with WIN 7, VISTA, XP, etc.  And I've had 'em all, just like most of you.  I've never had to dig into FSUIPC ever before.  I guess it's time.

Again, I apologize.

Rod

No worries, I will have to make a video tutorial on exactly how to do this, cause so far this is the only way to make your joystick work 24/7 on FSX/Windows 8. A registered version is required as the free version doesnt have the function.