Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

After having no problems with my joystick after restoring back to before REX I tried installing MCE and my joystick disappeared again after a short time. So there is something there that doesn't like an external program having acess to FSX.

Next time I'm going to remove FSUIPC4 and install REX and see what happens.

I didn't go through all the pages (wow!) so I apologize if this has been suggested; but I have Eclipse Yoke that I've gotten working 100%. Without FSUPIC, which I had anyway.

Control Panel ->
Power Options ->
Change Plan Settings ->
Change Advanced Plan Settings -> // A blue text link on the Change Plan Settings dialog
USB Settings ->
USB Selective Suspend Settings ->
Setting: Disabled <---toggle.

Gord

credit:ch-manager Bob

I didn't go through all the pages (wow!) so I apologize if this has been suggested; but I have Eclipse Yoke that I've gotten working 100%. Without FSUPIC, which I had anyway.

Control Panel ->

Power Options ->

Change Plan Settings ->

Change Advanced Plan Settings -> // A blue text link on the Change Plan Settings dialog

USB Settings ->

Gord

This has been suggested dozens of times, has not been a permanent fix. How many times have you flown without a disconnect? 

It has never disconnected since.

I tried the Dawson software (nightmare)

The don't lose your stick tool from Germany

the USB power save in device manager. 

Nothing.

Just to be clear, this is not the power saving option that I've seen listed here, I tried that too. 

Now it's completely fine.

I just want to bookend my posts on this subject. I registered my joystick with FSUIPC and disabled flight controllers in FSX and it *seems* to have solved the problem. I shall see...

Will.

Control Panel ->

Power Options ->

Change Plan Settings ->

USB Settings ->

Gord

Hi, are you saying that in Windows 8 USB Selective Suspend is enabled by default? Pretty sure in W7 it's the opposite. Is this a definite fix then?

Thanks

Hi, are you saying that in Windows 8 USB Selective Suspend is enabled by default? Pretty sure in W7 it's the opposite. Is this a definite fix then?Thanks

It is enabled by default, at least it was on my system.

Disabling it did not solve the problem for me. So no, sorry...it's not a definite fix. :(

It was enabled on my system as well.  I've never had a disconnect on my set up since, I wish it was a definite fix, but I guess sadly, no.

Sadly,it will come down to Microsoft to provide a real fix.

All the other suggestions are just workarounds.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Has the issue been brought to Microsoft's attention? I mean REALLY brought to their attention?

The problem is, it seems to only occur in FSX...so don't expect any fixes from them

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Have ALL OF US added our 2 cents worth to this microsoft thread ? Maybe we should.

I did that today! We all should do it. It's worth a try.

Has the issue been brought to Microsoft's attention? I mean REALLY brought to their attention?

The problem is, it seems to only occur in FSX...so don't expect any fixes from them

If you Google the issue, you will see that the problem is limited to Windows 8 and a few programs that use joysticks. FSX is the most common, but P3D and X-Plane also have been reported with problems, along with some older video games. FSX does seem to be the worst though, probably because of the variety of joystick hardware that is being used. In FSX and P3D, the joystick just becomes unresponsive after about 20-30 minutes. In X-Plane, the joystick is reported as "unregistered". Before this post generates a lot of responses, it doesn't happen to everyone. Some people are lucky, I guess. I'm speculating that many of the Saitek-related issues are because there haven't been any new drivers since 2011, for most of their joystick line. But it has nothing to do with the brand of hardware, because you can get the same behavior with an XBox 360 wired controller and FSX.

The only 100% bulletproof workaround for FSX is to manage your joystick with FSUIPC. And I seriously doubt that Microsoft has any interest in fixing this problem. It is the least of their worries with Windows 8.

If you Google the issue, you will see that the problem is limited to Windows 8 and a few programs that use joysticks. FSX is the most common, but P3D and X-Plane also have been reported with problems, along with some older video games. FSX does seem to be the worst though, probably because of the variety of joystick hardware that is being used. In FSX and P3D, the joystick just becomes unresponsive after about 20-30 minutes. In X-Plane, the joystick is reported as "unregistered". Before this post generates a lot of responses, it doesn't happen to everyone. Some people are lucky, I guess. I'm speculating that many of the Saitek-related issues are because there haven't been any new drivers since 2011, for most of their joystick line. But it has nothing to do with the brand of hardware, because you can get the same behavior with an XBox 360 wired controller and FSX.

The only 100% bulletproof workaround for FSX is to manage your joystick with FSUIPC. And I seriously doubt that Microsoft has any interest in fixing this problem. It is the least of their worries with Windows 8.

You're probably right :(

FSUIPC is not a 100% bulletproof workaround though. Doesn't work for me and some other users. Maybe I am just too stupid to set it up properly.

Would anyone of you (who got it working) maybe post a little tutorial? Would be greatly appreciated.