Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Great! The dev says having the solution but puts it on hold until win8.1 will be released???

What can be the reason for such a strategy?

Jos

If you read a few posts back, don't take my word for it; I believe he said that he hopes that win8.1 will provide either a fix, or a way to fix it or if there is no fix (as it is currently) the idea is that depending on what 8.1 has to offer will depend if/what fixes will be needed. 

I agree with you though, I thought a fix was going to be rather immediate until 8.1 started to show some light :( 

Nobody really knows how our simming environment will act under Win 8.1, and concerns have already been voiced that FSX fails to run under the public beta of it (see http://forum.avsim.net/forum/590-win8-os-forum/).

You're right, but it is just beta; what if FSX truly will be messed up in 8.1 Gold then we'll all know that win7 will truly be the last OS to be reasonably compatible with FSX. 

• Hello!

I cant reproduce the usb disconnect problem anymore. I found and im pretty sure it is a bug due the 2 layer Classic and metro style windows. living tiles.

What i did and it toke long long time. one by one tests.

1. in Control panel device manager check each USB Power management. (did not help but less disconnect)

2. Power save advanced mode turn off USB sleep (did not help)

3. Control panel system performance background task changed option program /background task (did not help)

4. installed the Classic Shell. (did not help) installed for Point 5.

5. Because i do not need any living tiles at the metro style windows i rightclick on each tile. YES ! Everyone but not the tile that chenge to Classic screen. and deleted it from metro windows. (That helped)

My error occured everytime when i flying and clicked outside the FSX e.g fscommander or REX WX system to check metar or any other program outside the FSX like Squawkbox or ivap.

I did several longhauls not and tried to reproduce the disconnect error. stressed the system and did not get any disconnect of the USB.

If you are sure you not need the metro liviing tiles just give it a try.

I did also test the fsiupc to test reconfig yoke and pedals woerked but not good enaught. i could reproduce the error.

To Microsoft i will say. Shame that you not fix this problem. When this computer living end i will chose another ecosystem.

Best regards

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren

That's quite a drastic solution if I understand correctly, but glad it works for you.

• Hello!

I cant reproduce the usb disconnect problem anymore. I found and im pretty sure it is a bug due the 2 layer Classic and metro style windows. living tiles.

What i did and it toke long long time. one by one tests.

1. in Control panel device manager check each USB Power management. (did not help but less disconnect)

2. Power save advanced mode turn off USB sleep (did not help)

3. Control panel system performance background task changed option program /background task (did not help)

4. installed the Classic Shell. (did not help) installed for Point 5.

5. Because i do not need any living tiles at the metro style windows i rightclick on each tile. YES ! Everyone but not the tile that chenge to Classic screen. and deleted it from metro windows. (That helped)

My error occured everytime when i flying and clicked outside the FSX e.g fscommander or REX WX system to check metar or any other program outside the FSX like Squawkbox or ivap.

I did several longhauls not and tried to reproduce the disconnect error. stressed the system and did not get any disconnect of the USB.

If you are sure you not need the metro liviing tiles just give it a try.

I did also test the fsiupc to test reconfig yoke and pedals woerked but not good enaught. i could reproduce the error.

To Microsoft i will say. Shame that you not fix this problem. When this computer living end i will chose another ecosystem.

Best regards

nicoma

Wait... you need to explain this better; WHAT "living" tiles are you talking about? ALL of the tiles in MetroUI?  How does this help with the USB issue? 

Wait... you need to explain this better; WHAT "living" tiles are you talking about? ALL of the tiles in MetroUI?  How does this help with the USB issue? 

Exactly! It worked perfectly long time Just now the yoke and pedal was lost again for the first time. Im sorry. Dont try that drastic plan !! I give up until 8.1.

For info when it happen it alltime happen when clicking outside FSX. so there must be something with the METRO UI and Classic UI.

The badly thing is i cant revert to windows 7 ultimate. Guess if i hate microsoft for the moment.

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren

Turning off live tiles didnt make much sense anyway. We'll just have to wait.

That was my precise point; thanks you! 

it still doesn't explain why FS9 works fine in win8 even with the joystick; FS9 also uses the classic UI as well. One thing that's different is FS9 doesn't have simconnect and FSX does; both of them have FSUIPC but they are totally different versions (FS9=FSUIPC3 and FSX=FSUIPC4) so maybe that has to do with it? 

I say wait also!

Here is Another one i found on TechNet. I will testing it now and will replay after one month of succés if that regfix work.

Test below on own risk and only if you really know how to change value in register.

Step 1: Determine the specific USB host controller
a.Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then click devmgmt.msc in the Programs list.
b.On the View menu, click Devices by connection.
c.Expand the processor node. For example, expand ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

Note The node names in this procedure vary depending on the hardware.
d.Expand Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.
e.Expand PCI Bus. Several USB host controllers will be listed.
f.Expand each USB host controller node, and then expand successive subnodes until you find the name of the device that is failing. For example, the device entry may resemble the following:
ACPI Multiprocessor PC\Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System\PCI Bus\Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830\USB Root Hub\fingerprint reader
Notes?The fingerprint reader is typically listed as a biometric device.
?The specific USB host controller should not be used to control any externally available USB ports. For example, only internal integrated USB devices should be listed under the USB Root Hub node for the specific USB host controller.

g.When you have located the device, right-click the associated USB host controller, and then click Properties. In the example that is listed in step 1.f, right-click Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830, and then click Properties.
h.Click the Details tab.
i.Select Driver key in the list.
j.The driver key will resemble the following. Note the last four digits of this driver key.
{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0002

Step 2: Add the ForceHCResetOnResume registry value for the USB host controller
a.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the Programs list.
b.Locate and then click registry subkeys that resemble the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\Four-digit_number
Notes?In this step, Four-digit_number is a placeholder for the USB devices in the system.
?In this step, you must locate the registry subkey by using the value that you noted in Step 1.j. For example, if the driver key from Step 1.j is {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0002, then you must look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\0002

c.On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
d.Type ForceHCResetOnResume for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
e.Right-click ForceHCResetOnResume, and then click Modify.
f.In the Value data box, type  1, and then click OK.
g.Exit Registry Editor.
h.Restart the computer.

ENDQUOTE

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren

There is one thing that win7 doesn't have that win8 has concerning sleep/hibernation; and that's hybrid sleep this is where the PC sleeps AND hibernates and that's new to win8 IIRC. 

Hibernate is where all your data from RAM is stored to disk for later retrieval and the power is turned off whereas sleep/standby is low power state but your RAM is still volatile/active. 

Hybrid sleep is both of those at the same time, except the power doesn't get turned off; and it sleeps exactly like the sleep mode but the benefit to this is IF you lose power the hibernation will have saved everything as if you hibernated. 

I don't use either of these features; I find that it gets messed up on my network so its pointless (unrelated issue here) 

But I wonder if hybrid sleep has anything to do with it? Although mine is turned off it shouldn't have any effect. 

Again FS9 works fine in win8

Hi again!

the windows 7 Tools didnt work.

I got reply from Microsoft social forum and they recommend me to reinstall windows 7. not a Word about a fix for windows 8 from them.

However i found a software that sence fix the problem with the disconnecting usb and it a pilot from GAE virtual.

The program talk direct with simconnect for the FSX and so far when the usb was disconnected this program still have the usb alive.

How i know that is i configure all button without one.

It is worth a try before i format my systemdrive and revert back to wndows 7 i did only 2 flights and it seems to work.

link to the site is: http://va-gae.eu/flightoperations/download/fsx-joystick-tool.html

The site is on german!

I unzipped it on desktop!

1. start fsx

2. run the program

See that the program talk with simconnect

Configure all device and SAVE.

Next time you start FSX you only need to start that program and get your saved profile from the program. just click save and fly.

Im not sure if you need to do that every time. im not pro in german language but i try to learn it.

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren

After all this time, I'm pretty convinced the problem is in the kernel and there isn't much we can do. We're destined to either use FSUIPC or loose input unless MS shows some effort and interest.

• Upvote 1

After all this time, I'm pretty convinced the problem is in the kernel and there isn't much we can do. We're destined to either use FSUIPC or loose input unless MS shows some effort and interest.

Dear Mathew!

it happend also with fsiupc but the program i talk about override and talk directly to the FSX.. 

So far it work here.

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren