Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

It is worth a try before i format my systemdrive and revert back to wndows 7 i did only 2 flights and it seems to work.

link to the site is: http://va-gae.eu/fli...stick-tool.html

That app was mentioned somewhere up in this thread (or maybe somewhere else on this website) before. I tried it  awhile ago and it does appear to work. It uses SimConnect, which is supposedly what FSUIPC4 does. Again, I believe that the error is built into Win8 and all these "fixes" just decrease the probability of any one flight simmer eventually running into the joystick problem. With Win8 as it comes out the box, the probability is >75% IMO that your joystick will fall asleep. If you meddle with USB power settings, it probably drops to 50% of flight sim users seeing the issue. Use either FSUIPC4 or something similar (like Linda, Don't Lose Your Stick, etc.) and it drops to about 5-10% of users. I guessed at those numbers based on my own experience and reading this thread from almost the very beginning, which seems like a long time ago.

The moral of the story is don't use Win8.

• Upvote 1

That's what I've been saying all along ;)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

That app was mentioned somewhere up in this thread (or maybe somewhere else on this website) before. I tried it  awhile ago and it does appear to work. It uses SimConnect, which is supposedly what FSUIPC4 does. Again, I believe that the error is built into Win8 and all these "fixes" just decrease the probability of any one flight simmer eventually running into the joystick problem. With Win8 as it comes out the box, the probability is >75% IMO that your joystick will fall asleep. If you meddle with USB power settings, it probably drops to 50% of flight sim users seeing the issue. Use either FSUIPC4 or something similar (like Linda, Don't Lose Your Stick, etc.) and it drops to about 5-10% of users. I guessed at those numbers based on my own experience and reading this thread from almost the very beginning, which seems like a long time ago.

Moral is correct. but to late for us that was stupid and test it. You know the hard way back to flying hehe.

We never give up.

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren

And what about the users mentioning the same problem in W7?

Jos

How many? Never happened to me at all.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Win8 (which I otherwise love) disconnects my Saitek multi panel display (but not the switches), but never in flight, just between runs of FSX. For example, if I exit FSX and come back the next day, the Saitek panel display will be off and will not be functional when I run FSX. I also occasionally lose my CH Eclipse but not as often. I can reconnect either by simply unplugging and replugging the USB. Strange. What's even stranger is that I never lose my Saitek switch panel, just the multi panel display. I'm using SPAD for the Saitek drivers, but I had the same issue with the Saitek drivers.

I would like to know how many users with or without dropout issues are using EZDOK as I believe that it is a contributing factor since it uses lower level Windows APIs.

One test that EZDOK users can try is fly an entire flight without any task switching.  Does the stick drop out at anytime?

The second is to pull the USB plug during a flight and then reengage after about 10 seconds.  You will probably notice that EZDOK is no longer fully functional (panning will be broke) and in the case of the Saitek profiler, you will need to reapply your active profile.  These are issues that there is no know solution for except to prevent the controller dropout in the first place.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard anyone mention EZDOK

Its also interesting that Saitek has the display panel and buttons separately and can still be used even if the panel "disconnects"

Because of the joystick dropout issue and having to go back and forth between full screen and windowed (I prefer windowed) it makes FSX increasingly unstable while ENB is around; so ENB was removed to prevent further issues.

The longer this problem sticks around the more likely I am going to be switching to win7; but thats's on hold due to a blown hard drive that contains all my FS addon install files which will have to be sent away for recovery since I cannot get most of those addons (I purchased genuinely) back.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive; one of these days I might just have to get that Saitek

And what about the users mentioning the same problem in W7?

Jos

JOS!

If you have same problem in windows 7 whish i never had it is another problem and another solution.

Did you try the tip in previous posts in this threed? e.g the regedit

nicoma

Nicolaus Malmgren

I am a W8 user, Nicoma, but when I read this thread from the start, I saw a number of posts that mentioned the same problem in W7 recently. possibly after an update of W7.

Jos

Hi again!

the windows 7 Tools didnt work.

I got reply from Microsoft social forum and they recommend me to reinstall windows 7. not a Word about a fix for windows 8 from them.

However i found a software that sence fix the problem with the disconnecting usb and it a pilot from GAE virtual.

The program talk direct with simconnect for the FSX and so far when the usb was disconnected this program still have the usb alive.

How i know that is i configure all button without one.

It is worth a try before i format my systemdrive and revert back to wndows 7 i did only 2 flights and it seems to work.

link to the site is: http://va-gae.eu/flightoperations/download/fsx-joystick-tool.html

The site is on german!

I unzipped it on desktop!

1. start fsx

2. run the program

See that the program talk with simconnect

Configure all device and SAVE.

Next time you start FSX you only need to start that program and get your saved profile from the program. just click save and fly.

Im not sure if you need to do that every time. im not pro in german language but i try to learn it.

nicoma

I did a first testflight with this program, changed focus a lot and for the first time didn't loose my joystick.

Jos

W8 64 bits

What's even stranger is that I never lose my Saitek switch panel, just the multi panel display.

I believe that is because whatever is that is broken in Win 8 has to do with the joystick. If the Saitek panel is recognized as separate USB device (and not considered as a joystick), it might survive a collapse. It's been so long since this happened to me, that I can't remember what dies and what lives. I have a Saitek X-65 and unless my memory is failing, the little auxiliary button panel keeps working, when the joystick disappears.

Yes We are just talking about the axis controls that drop out.  Except if you program say the hat switch with Saitek profiler the buttons will still work probably because the software is polling them.

This brings up a good point - if you program the basic axis movements in profiler to do nothing will they 1) continue to work in FSX and 2) prevent axis dropout?

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

strange, last night i had joystick support for a full 1hr flight  all the way to the arriving gate :Thinking:   it was the only time i had the joystick working since i got my win8 PC.