Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Hi All, my Joystick disconnects playing FSX if I click into another Window outside the FSX application and then go back to FSX. This problem is driving me insane!

I'm using Windows 8.

Hi All, my Joystick disconnects playing FSX if I click into another Window outside the FSX application and then go back to FSX. This problem is driving me insane!

I'm using Windows 8.

So are we all; you're not the only one or this thread would cease to exist; welcome to the club unfortunately.

There are a couple of fixes but they aren't 100%

So are we all; you're not the only one or this thread would cease to exist; welcome to the club unfortunately.

There are a couple of fixes but they aren't 100%

Sue Microsoft?

Sue Microsoft?

Dunno, not sure any civil class action lawyer would want to sue someone for a technicality issue like this or not IANAL but I do know that other games ARE affected by this problem along with OTHER controllers as well.  You would think Microsoft would have no problem doing a quick fix assuming it will be fixed in 8.1 which has yet to be released to the public as a usuable option (it is still beta).

I'm using Windows 8.

+1 I hear you mate.

I went so far as to completely remove FSX for a while and focus on X-Plane 10 until this issue gets sorted. This has actually made me appreciate X-Plane so much as well but I think I would eventually still like to return to FSX as I do miss my PMDG planes just a tad...

As much as this problem irritates me I just can't justify forking out $200+ on a Win 7 license (a legit Win 8 was given to me for free as I was upgrading to SSD). My only other option is to go back to Vista (that's if I get REALLY desparate btw), does anyone still even run this OS? Any issues with running FSX on it?

I'm using Windows 8.

You can avoid clicking into another Window outside the FSX application if you run FSX in full screen mode. For other applications you can use a laptop or ultrabook parallel to your FSX computer. This is the work around I am using. :Thinking:

Best regards from RelaxX

Is it confirmed that this is only an issue with FSX? Earlier there were rumors that other games/joysticks had the problem, but i don't see anything about it on the Xplane forums.

Occurs with Prepar3D

Reported to have occured with X-Plane

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

No issues with FSX and Vista, been running this config for 1,5 year.

No issues with FSX and Vista, been running this config for 1,5 year.

Cool! Well guess that could be an option then as I've had Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM sitting on my shelf gathering dust for 3 years lol.

Reported to have occured with X-Plane

Never had this happen in X-Plane even once. The problem seems specific to FSX as it doesn't happen in FS9.

You can avoid clicking into another Window outside the FSX application if you run FSX in full screen mode. For other applications you can use a laptop or ultrabook parallel to your FSX computer. This is the work around I am using. :Thinking:

This is generally a good idea; but I have a PC with dual monitors (and about to be 3 again, as it once used to be) unfortunately full screen is not an option for multi display users.

Honestly having a laptop as a networked display is just more of a hassle IMO and in my experience ENB doesn't work in full screen but I have heard this works fine in full screen for others dunno why not me.

No workaround should be required but it is

Is it confirmed that this is only an issue with FSX? Earlier there were rumors that other games/joysticks had the problem, but i don't see anything about it on the Xplane forums.

Yeah, they aren't reported much on this forum, but I have pointed out elsewhere others are reporting a variety of game controller and games that have this similar issue; this leads to me its a windows 8 problem not a specific set of hardware or games.

Xplane seldom sees this problem

Cool! Well guess that could be an option then as I've had Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM sitting on my shelf gathering dust for 3 years lol.

Never had this happen in X-Plane even once. The problem seems specific to FSX as it doesn't happen in FS9.

Yep I know it doesn't happen to FS9, I can confirm that; I hear it happens mostly with FSX/P3D and in rare cases Xplane; not so much in win7 or Vista however.

This is generally a good idea; but I have a PC with dual monitors (and about to be 3 again, as it once used to be) unfortunately full screen is not an option for multi display users.

Honestly having a laptop as a networked display is just more of a hassle IMO and in my experience ENB doesn't work in full screen but I have heard this works fine in full screen for others dunno why not me.

No workaround should be required but it is

I have a dual monitor setup as well and I use the full screen option. This is working fine.

I use the Laptop for various things. It's not connected to FSX.

ENB is not recommended by Nick Needham. Shade for FSX from Mogwaisoft is no problem though. 

Best regards from RelaxX

I hear it happens mostly with FSX/P3D and in rare cases Xplane; not so much in win7 or Vista however.

I agree with the statement but it has happened to me once with XP10 under Win 8. To some extent, it might happen more frequently with FSX (and P3D) because the codebase is much older and the installed hardware spectrum is much broader.

Sorry about the post above but I am just wondering how would you setup "moving around the cockpit" when you have the controller disabled in FSX and only using FSUIPC? I have an X52 and use the hat switch on the joystick to move around the virtual cockpit. But if I disable the controller in the game then I can't use that or the built in holding down the space bar and using the mouse.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29