Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I created a thread over at the official P3d forum, asking if anyone was running P3d with Win 8.1 RTM. One person responded and said they hadn't noticed the joystick bug yet. But the LM staff did not respond yet. I also bumped a similar thread at the largest Windows 8 forum (www.eightforums.com). No one has responded yet. I noticed one person here at AVSim has posted that they haven't seen the joystick bug with Win 8.1 RTM.

I'm not putting much weight in these initial responses, only because most people are too worried about what MS may have crabbed up in Win 8.1 RTM  even further and probably aren't going to even try to install 8.1. Eventually the update will be forced on all Win 8 users, at least those that want to keep the OS current. It's not encouraging that the Start button was finally resurrected, but all it does is bring the user to the Metro UI wasteland. At least you can now boot directly to the desktop, so that IS an improvement.

Well i have had this problem for since i got my new logitech 3d pro joystick and i went and got FSUIPC. That was working pretty good with the PMDG 737NGX but still ran in to the problem every once and awhile. Then since the PMDG 777 came out i have wanting to fly it but i have ran back in to the problem but its got out of hand.I have done everything i usb selective suspend setting. i have disabled fsx joystick and was running off FSUIPC. But i can not get the joystick to work like i would like it too. I am posting this because i am tired of this problem and i really want to fly but this problem is stopping me . Its no fun when your joystick stops working right when you are pushed back from the gate and ready to taxi . So i am asking if anyone can please give me some help if there is anything to do to fix this bug. Or if i just have to wait till Windows 8.1 comes out. 

I created a thread over at the official P3d forum, asking if anyone was running P3d with Win 8.1 RTM. One person responded and said they hadn't noticed the joystick bug yet. But the LM staff did not respond yet. I also bumped a similar thread at the largest Windows 8 forum (www.eightforums.com). No one has responded yet. I noticed one person here at AVSim has posted that they haven't seen the joystick bug with Win 8.1 RTM.

I'm not putting much weight in these initial responses, only because most people are too worried about what MS may have crabbed up in Win 8.1 RTM  even further and probably aren't going to even try to install 8.1. Eventually the update will be forced on all Win 8 users, at least those that want to keep the OS current. It's not encouraging that the Start button was finally resurrected, but all it does is bring the user to the Metro UI wasteland. At least you can now boot directly to the desktop, so that IS an improvement.

And unfortunately that's Microsoft's fault, they have terrible customer relations; they fail in every way conceivable and sadly I thought history only repeated itself in the history books however it seems to me history repeats itself beyond history such as Microsoft, we've seen them fail BADLY with windows ME, they didn't do too bad with Vista they did an awesome job with win98SE, XP, W7 those are the best OSses (and I think some would say win2k but I have no experience with it)

Again Microsoft is still failing its customers in 8.1 by only "partially making the start menu/button work" the freeware classic shell does the trick I don't need Microsoft to tell me that I can't ever have a start menu like W7 I think the Metro UI is great; but I rarely use it in a desktop enviornment so why should I be stuck with that? Unfortunately Classic Shell won't be able to replace the start menu that's in 8.1 and of course Microsoft MADE them change the graphic/logo so I haven't bothered to update classic shell either for that reason.

You know, if Microsoft wouldn't damage its trust/image we might be more receptive of Win8.1 and its good news that they probably solved joystick issues plaguing win8 but I don't foresee upgrading for quite awhile.

Well i have had this problem for since i got my new logitech 3d pro joystick and i went and got FSUIPC. That was working pretty good with the PMDG 737NGX but still ran in to the problem every once and awhile. Then since the PMDG 777 came out i have wanting to fly it but i have ran back in to the problem but its got out of hand.I have done everything i usb selective suspend setting. i have disabled fsx joystick and was running off FSUIPC. But i can not get the joystick to work like i would like it too. I am posting this because i am tired of this problem and i really want to fly but this problem is stopping me . Its no fun when your joystick stops working right when you are pushed back from the gate and ready to taxi . So i am asking if anyone can please give me some help if there is anything to do to fix this bug. Or if i just have to wait till Windows 8.1 comes out. 

You can try/buy FSXAssist that might help with the problem or get win8.1 RTM

Please try this.

The way I've been able to enable it is by switching between fullscreen and windowed a few times with Shift+enter.

Sometimes one toggle will do, other time two or three.

Let me know if this works for you.

• Upvote 1

Please try this.

The way I've been able to enable it is by switching between fullscreen and windowed a few times with Shift+enter.

I have been doing that but FSX sees the controller but FSUIPC dosnt. 

Sadly to say that also X-Plane 10 is affected by this problem. Yesterday, without any configuration or software variation, after a couple of weeks of no problems, the joysticks started to disappear soon after scenery loading.

This happens only in X-Plane 32 bit mode. Not in 64 bit, so may be is a Windows memory problem. And this made the simulator almost unusable.

I tried EVERYTHING but nothing changed this behavior.

Please try this.

I've done this a few times and it has worked, some of the time.

However with high quality aircraft like the pmdg 737 fsx encounters a problem

Does anyone know if windows 8.1 has fixed the problem. I am really getting tired of this problem because i cant really do any flights with out having this problem happen. 

I frequently loose the controls when I fly in window mode and when I do other work on my second monitor.

When I fly in full screen mode, then I can’t use other programs at the same time. Then my controls are stable. B)

Hence you should fly in full screen mode and report here whether you still lose your controls or not.

Best regards from RelaxX

This happens only in X-Plane 32 bit mode. Not in 64 bit, so may be is a Windows memory problem.

Nope, I have had this happen to me twice with XP10 x64, so it does happen. The good news is that is extremely rare (at least it has been for me).

I frequently loose the controls when I fly in window mode and when I do other work on my second monitor.

When I fly in full screen mode, then I can’t use other programs at the same time. Then my controls are stable. B)

Hence you should fly in full screen mode and report here whether you still lose your controls or not.

That has been posted before. As long as the main FSX Window doesn't lose focus, the problem is rare. Unfortunately, I have had it happen to me just by bringing up the ATC Window.

Nope, I have had this happen to me twice with XP10 x64, so it does happen. The good news is that is extremely rare (at least it has been for me).

That has been posted before. As long as the main FSX Window doesn't lose focus, the problem is rare. Unfortunately, I have had it happen to me just by bringing up the ATC Window.

Interesting, is your ATC window being opened within FSX or externally? (you can pop it out) I've never had this happen to me yet at least not with the ATC window IN FSX but externally yes I have had it happen to me.

FSCommander is notorious for stealing the focus at waypoint change when the GPS mode is used; that also causes me to lose the stick regularly; I also use the browser on the main screen I too at times lose it but not nearly as much as FSC or anything on the 2nd monitor but nonetheless anytime FSX loses focus I have had lost stick even on the primary monitor. 

Supposedly win8.1 fixes it; nobody is going to try because they've been introduced to problems that others have experienced A) FSX didn't run at all on 8.1 Preview and B) everybody who still has win8 has experienced this beyond silly joystick problem and C) most people are still using win7

Interesting, is your ATC window being opened within FSX or externally?

Externally.

Externally.

Then this would obviously do it, since its treated as a separate window/focus unfortunately even though it feeds into FSX

either FSXAssist or Win8.1 will win at fixing this problem or the true and tried win7 will be the ultimate winner.

Does anyone know if windows 8.1 has fixed the problem. I am really getting tired of this problem because i cant really do any flights with out having this problem happen. 

As a TechNet subscriber, I updated to Windows 8.1 RTM last night, and unfortunately, the joystick problem still persists.  Bummer.  The quest for an ideal solution continues.  I may, ultimately, have to go back to Windows 7.

As for how FSX runs in Windows 8.1, it's flawless with excellent FPS (slightly better than Windows 7 for my setup).  Did a 2 hour flight in the PMDG 777 and all was just fine, except, of course, for the joystick problem. 

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64