Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I want to ask all who are having this issue. Are you running fsx in windowed mode? What graphics card are you using? If in windowed mode, do you have multi monitor setups? Are you placing FMC, REX..etc on the other monitors if so are you clicking on other windows outside of FSX while playing.

I discovered that clicking on other windows in fsx in windowed mode my joystick goes out. control ALt Delete helps sometimes but not a great fix. I am trying to test in FSX while in full screen mode. I am running ati driver 13.4. Will try an older version and see if that works. For some reason in windows 8 my task bar is on all 3 screens, not like that in windows 7. I thinking this issue is a multi display mode while in FSX windowed mode. My guess. Any thoughts? Sure would like to solve this problem.

I run FSX in window mode so I can access other programs much easier.  I have one monitor.  I have windows 8.  Since receiving my windows 8 system I used to get joystick disconnects all of the time.  Since I have configured my yoke, pedals, and joysticks with FSUIPC (payware) I have never had a joystick disconnect.

Are you using FSUIPC?  If not, I recommend you try it.  Of course you'd have to buy it.

Hope you get it figured out.

Safe Flyin'

Rod

Rod Beck

I do have it and yes it is paid version. Not quite sure how to do it. Can you help?

I sent you a PM.  If you didn't get it, PM me back.  I'll assist anyway I can.

Rod

Rod Beck

Hi ,

windows 7 has an option, possibly set as default to power down the usb ports after a certain length of time if it detects no usage. If you go to the control panel and select device manager then check the properties of your usb hubs . There is a tick box to allow the computer to turn off the hubs to save power.If it is ticked this may be the cause of your problems.

Hope this helps.

Steve

thank you so much it works even under widows 8

Well my joystick stays connected all the time but if I leave the sim (Like, entering google chrome or any other program outside of FSX will make the joystick disconnect.) Opening task-manager reloads the sim and reconnects the joystick but it may or may not cause the darn sim to crash doing so (Probably ENB related). I'm planning on buying a second monitor and i'm wondering, will activities on the 2nd monitor interfere with FSX? For an example, would FSX 'pause' or something if I am messing around with charts/ youtube etc. on the second monitor while FSX is running on the other?

For the people who are'nt familiar with FSUIPC I have made a powerpoint presentation how to install CH flightsim yoke and pedals with FSUIPC4 in Windows 8 and using FSX. I had the problem of disconnecting randomly. Now that is over!

As it is the first publication, there maybe some questions, please ask!

It is on my site: www.hweistra.nl 

With kind regards,

Harmen.

KLM764.

I was just over in the Prepar3d forums and the P3D head developer explained the issue affects many games in W8 that implemented joystick controls a certain way (which included FSX).

He continued that the problem can be fixed by re-coding joystick control in the game itself - which they are doing for the upcoming patch for Prepar3d V2.

Of course since FSX is dead it will never be fixed on that platform. But most people will upgrade from FSX to P3D over the next couple of years anyway.

Next couple of years - exactly... I don't see myself buying another addon just to fix joystick issue nor I see possibility to skip to p3dv2 now.

Still hoping for solution. I don't have random drop outs - only happens when I alt+tab and than FSX can't see anything except mouse and keyboard but i can see my joystick in windows control panel. Opening task manager doesn't help - I have to reload game which is a pain because I fly NGX with fs2crew which means I have to start all over again. One can say do not alt tab and that what I was doing until today - when ASN decided to inform me with a window that I have problems with connection and it can't download weather. Supercool especially on final leg of 4 hours real time flight.

I guess Ill just spam Microsoft e mail until they solve it or get myself fsuipc but that's the step which I wanted to avoid as except of that one issue it is not useful software to me.

-------

After thorough testing I noticed some weird behaviour - joystick disconnects only when fsx is heavily loaded. 

Scenario 1: Multiple addons, PMDG 737 ngx, spawned on EPKK Drzewiecki design - alt+tab joystick disconnected. 

Scenario 2: Multiple addons, Default trike, spawned on some random small default airfield in USA - I can alt+tab out and back and joystick works. 

What is going on? Anyone has a clue? 

Well some information probably goes through the simconnect, and when a lot of external addons are running the infamous simconnect can get too busy to behave properly.

It is funny by the way that the topic answer is; I don't understand why this topic is still running... just buy a 40 dollar expensive program and it will work. Great that it works for those people, but it is a ridicilous solution. I have a modern Pro Flight Yoke a modern OS, there is no reason why it shouldn't work. This is a w8 bug and the solution should come from them.

This is a w8 bug and the solution should come from them.

I was thinking perhaps if we posted on this topic here 3000 more times or so, the sheer weight of this thread will cut the topic away from its moorings like a massive boulder and go rolling into Redmond's non-existent department of, "Who gives a bleep?"

• Upvote 1

That doesn't mean they solved alt+tab issue... TBH this means nothing to me anyway as this is not implemented in FSX. :(

Windows 8.1, After you have tried all the rest of the "fixes" for the joystick dropout, try this:

• Go into the Control Panel and then into Devices and Printers.

• Find your Joystick and right click on it and select Troubleshoot.  If it says it found some issues that it may have stopped responding and has fixed it, you should now be happy once again without dropouts!

I was able to go back and forth from desktop, browser, full screen FSX to windowed FSX and menu selections for hours without a hiccup anymore.

Let me know how you do and you're welcome!

Dint work for me :(

But if i browse youtube with fsx windowed, the fsx window is just becomming black and it seems like the textures are all ###### its like playing on a broken screen. Do you know how to fix that? and i have windows 8.1

Woohoo check this out!

Fixed an issue where joysticks could disconnect mid-flight on Windows 8 for P3D v2.1

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2014/02/4845/

I can attest to the fact that it works. No disconnects, but that doesn't help the vast majority of people who use FSX. The moral of the story is, if you want to use FSX under Win 8, you also must use FSUIPC.