Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

It's been suggested a number of times in this thread. Only a few people have reported that it works for them.

Hi !!

Has anyone notice than the controller GUID (controller properties) called By fsx under Windows 8.1 is not the same than the one used By Windows 8.1 if you look at the properties of your controller.

When Fsx is on and you loose your controller By using another application, check the controller properties in Fsx, where you wont see it.... and the properties of your controller directly fron Windows 8.1 where you see it...

If it my help in finding a solution............ I don't know..

Regards

Maybe Microsoft can help.... or YOU !!!!

Look specially at the Controller GUID

:)

I do make sure it isn't enabled there. It doesn't happen all the time and do have a good succesfull rate with FSUIPC but sometimes even that can go. So it's not fully 100%

Seems it's not a cure. The only time I've seen the joysticks disconnect in FSX is during very low available resources, like too big a LOD radius.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Seems it's not a cure. The only time I've seen the joysticks disconnect in FSX is during very low available resources, like too big a LOD radius.

That's one of the best solutions I've seen!  Makes sense and why some have the problem and some do not.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes Jim,

it could turn out to be something just as simple as that.

All the best,

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

This may or may not work, but there was a guy on youtube who got a Xbox One controller to work via libusb/Vjoy and Xbox 360 CE. What if we use Xbox 360 CE with FSX and have your joystick emulate the 360 controller or use Vjoy to help out.

Yes Jim,

it could turn out to be something just as simple as that.

All the best,

Steve

Well i was saying this few post above - higher load = joystick drop. But even with minimum lod as soon as I load NGX I cannot alt tab if i want to keep joystick.

This creates huge problem when using active sky next which whenever it looses connection feels the urgent need to inform me by a pop up window and joystick is lost. Id prefer it just shut up and try to reconnect but I suggested it on hifi forums and no one cared.

Anyway - maybe the fsx assist will e helpful here... Need to try that out

The story is that there is no silver bullet for the issue.  While FSXAssist will help maintain the USB 'activeness' and stick connection to FSX (our flight disconnects here at SkyPilot have gone from one every flight to one rarely with FSXAssist) they are still possible.

We feel that there is a chain of events (many mentioned here) that the new API is not handling correctly or more than likely just some weird device driver issue.

I don't think that most people know how radical the new Windows 8+ input API is as it was designed to favor touch screens / Modern UI IMO.

If there is any programmatic fix that we discover it will be implemented.

Regards 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

The story is that there is no silver bullet for the issue.  While FSXAssist will help maintain the USB 'activeness' and stick connection to FSX (our flight disconnects here at SkyPilot have gone from one every flight to one rarely with FSXAssist) they are still possible.

We feel that there is a chain of events (many mentioned here) that the new API is not handling correctly or more than likely just some weird device driver issue.

I don't think that most people know how radical the new Windows 8+ input API is as it was designed to favor touch screens / Modern UI IMO.

If there is any programmatic fix that we discover it will be implemented.

Regards 

That is amazing to hear and just to support that I'm going to buy your software even if it won't help. 

I have a theory on how we can solve this problem. Follow this guys instructions only instead of doing it for the Xbox one controller, do it for your joystick and make the necessary alterations like how vjoy is configured and you might not need libusb either. If that fails then grab the Xbox 360ce program he mentions and attempt to emulate the Xbox 360 controller using your joystick and mapping your buttons. I will do a test flight to see if the vjoy "joystick" is still sensed by the simulator.

Update: Ive found that Vjoy is still detected by the simulator while the joystick is not. Here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/x33NAve

I have a theory on how we can solve this problem. Follow this guys instructions only instead of doing it for the Xbox one controller, do it for your joystick and make the necessary alterations like how vjoy is configured and you might not need libusb either. If that fails then grab the Xbox 360ce program he mentions and attempt to emulate the Xbox 360 controller using your joystick and mapping your buttons. I will do a test flight to see if the vjoy "joystick" is still sensed by the simulator.

Update: Ive found that Vjoy is still detected by the simulator while the joystick is not. Here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/x33NAve

Do you have any more information about this? This sound quite promising :)

Do you have any more information about this? This sound quite promising :)

I did a much longer flight with it and noticed that FSX drops vjoy as well. I'm going to look into Xbox 360CE and do a test with that. FSX can use xinput and I noticed my normal 360 controller didnt disconnect at all when I did flights with it in the past.

I noticed my normal 360 controller didnt disconnect at all when I did flights with it in the past.

It's been a while since my testing and MS might have subsequently fixed whatever was happening with the XBox 360 controller and Win 8, but I when I tried using the 360 controller as a test, it disconnected in both FSX and P3d 1.4. The OS continued to see the controller after the disappearance in the sim though, and the 360 gamepad worked flawlessly with every other joystick-aware app.

The only real workaround to this issue is using FSUIPC.