Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

OK Guys, I am living proof this problem doesn't exist using FSUIPC. I made this post from over a year ago, and still haven't had a disconnect. Not a SINGLE one. So you are free to keep messing around with unproven ways that fail within a few flights, or you can just end all the frustration and have a 100% reliable connection with FSUIPC.

I'm with you, and, I've mentioned this quite a few posts ago.  Over a year now with FSUIPC, and not one disconnect. 

Also, running Win 8.

Rod

• Upvote 1

Rod Beck

Heres my issues...

I have saitek yoke, throttles and rudder pedals...

The yoke and throttles are connected to a powered USB 3.0 hub, which is in  turn connected to a 3.0 port (obviously) on the pc...

The pedals go into the back of the pc on the floor. 

I am having alt + tab style disconnects... I never tab out of the game as i use 3 monitors, but instead click over to the next screen to use navigraph etc and upon my return to fsx, the controllers have disconnected...

I have done the power management thing

configured fsx to not pause when minimised etc....

I have just tried the troubleshoot controller/device thing as mentioned a few pages back. It stated 'this device may have stopped working" and then said fixed, although they are still dead in fsx. It also says this device may not be compatible with usb 3.0 and told me to connect to a 2.0 port - i dont see what difference that could possibly make.

I am using windows 8.1 (pc came with it) and pig sick frankly. 

Dan

Dan, leave your 3.0 port for an external HDD or high speed stuff, plug your hub and controllers into a 2.0 port.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Steve,

Is the usb hub causing the issue because its a 3.0 version? its a big 7/8 port thing.

I bought it so it can cater for all my needs. 

I might get a cheap 2.0 hub then - i use the hubs for cable management.

Dan

It's supposed to work OK, but I found some older stuff (mice, kbd, hub) didn't like the 3.0 port. But if you've only got a 3.0 port it may be a waste of money, unless you can try out a 2.0 port with your hub and controllers. I use a powered hub in a 2.0 port for all the joysticks.

Well I want to post this topic I've came across as I am still having this issue, and another reason I am reluctant to get FSUIPC.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/77002-fsuipc-doesnt-respond-to-any-joystick-inputs/

I have found a possible solution though to anyone willing to try. It's obvious that this issue is related to high CPU load and a window focus change. I wanted to see if using Throttlestop would help, by boosting the CPU speed (I have a 4th gen Intel i7) to Turboboost speeds (for me 2.4 boosting to 3.4ghz). The extra processing power reconnects the joystick. I assume the extra processing room allows the joystick to jump back in before it gets used up by FSX. This with the testing I've done so far has worked successfully in reconnecting the joystick, with a 100% success rate. If anyone else wants to try this at your own risk, you are welcome to.

-Tom H

Hi All!

I'm having this issue, but have tried all of the steps above with FSUIPC.

I've installed the latest Saitek drivers, under admin mode. I have configured within FSUIPC, etc. I have disabled power management on the USBs, etc. 

The problem seems to have worsened- before the joystick would disconnnect after a long time- now it's almost straight away- I can be taxi-ing out for departure and it will happen. 

Usually it happens when I change windows and come back in. 

It especially happens with Airbus X- but I think this is all coincidental. 

The joystick is not listed in FSX when it disconnects, or under windows. 

I don't know what to do. Is it FSX- I don't think so (Windows doesn't recognise the J/S either). Should I invest in a new joystick? 

I literally can't do any flying now. 

Should I invest in a new joystick?

Before I would do that, I would first hunt down a friend with either a joystick or even an Xbox 360 Windows gamepad and see if you get the same results with a borrowed controller. FSUIPC is not completely "bulletproof" in solving the issue, but it does work for more people than any other workaround in Win 8. Basically, after all this time, MS is not going to fix whatever is wrong. Lockheed Martin has tried to fix the problem in P3d2, but whatever they did didn't work for me. Eventually, LM may figure out a way around this, but it won't help you with FSX.

Did you disable the joystick from within the P3d2 settings while using FSUIPC? If not, FSUIPC and FSX could be "fighting" over the controller.

Im going back to windows 7, well i say go back - buying an ultimate copy. if you have win 8 pro. you are entitled to a free downgrade. you need a windows 7 dvd however you can ring microsoft for a serial. You can only then go down to basic or pro version of 7, where as most of us want ultimate. Annoy ploy from MS to get more money....

Dan

It seems to be allowing FSUIPC to control the buttons on the joystick but not the axis on throttle or joystick. 

Again, after flying for a short time, the joystick is inactive. But, in calibration, under joystick settings in windows, it is still registered and working....

Hi All,

First of all, sorryy for my English. I am having also this issue. In my case, after a year of intensive use of FSX, the problem appeared a couple of weeks ago, just after deleting the fsx.cfg to obtain a clean new one. Could it have something to do with the fsx.cfg config or it is just pure coincidence?

Thanks

Pelayo - LEMD

(I will try with the FSUIPC tonight.)

It happened to me very suddenly too, Pelayo. 

Greetings to LEMD. After trying a few things, I tried to fly there this morning but had the joystick issue again so quit the flight. 

strangely. i think my issues are related to my hub, as i was free to browse outside fsx for considerable time without any issues.

Im now back on windows 7 (strangly my avermedia live gamer capture card actually works now despite being compatible with win 8)

Will report back any further issues..

Dan

Update:

I re-installed FSX today, and selected addons only. All appears ok so far! 

Only a/c addon installed is Airbus X. 

When we get joysticks detaching in the sim the first thing to try is pare back the sim from addon scenery to eliminate the possibility of the sim becoming out of resources. Once VAS is over 2.5Gb the joysticks could detach coming into a resource intensive area of scenery at any time. A simple test might be to slide LOD Radius to the left and Autogen down a few notches.