Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Hi Steve. Very good post. I flew into LHR with UK2000 and the joystick disconnected. The Airbus X autoland is rough! 

Near the airport the frame rate dropped substantially. I also had a lot of background programs running. Photoshop, multiple browser windows, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Hi skytecuk, programs uninvolved with FSX probably make no difference, but it's worth a shot to close down anything unrequired or at least browser based stuff. Maybe also try turning off LHR airport traffic or static aircraft or something for a test, just to get resource requirements down a bit - see what gives. Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Why not make a program that constantly forces FSX the recognize the joysticks, either that or make custom drivers.

Needless to say, my downgrade to win 7 has sorted the issue. 

controls are still plugged into my usb 3.0 hub and i was out of window for ages and ages earlier and i could still control the aircraft.

Ditch windows 8. Ive heard a rumour that its been canned and attention is now on windows 9!

Ive heard a rumour that its been canned and attention is now on windows 9!

I wonder what will stop working with Windows 9?

Windows 9 is the natural progression for the next iteration of MS Windows. Programs written correctly for Windows 95 work properly on Windows 9.

Reading the windows 8 forum on fsx in avsim and concluded that all sell my new pc with windows 8 as joystick issues are not acceptable to me.

Don't pay too much attention to it, a lot of that is FUD. If you get joystick issues then sell the new PC or get the proper drivers installed. I think you'll find that most new versions of Windows come with incremental changes to the driver subsystem, simply to handle advances in technology, since Windows abstracts the hardware.

Till now I've not had a joystick disconnect mid flight despite flying with a orbx, pmdg, dash 8 etc. It happens only when I change windows for example I switch to the Dash 8 control panel or ASN windows. One way of contering it I've found is to switch to another open program use the Windows task manager, ie cntl+alt+del. This isn't foolproof but disconnects as a result of switching windows are down to about 1 in 10 roughly. (Using nonregistered/trail FSUIPC).

Can I just say to all of you that trust in FSUIPC - I have taken your advice from this thread and purchased a registered copy. But yet I still have disconnects [Win 8.1 FSUIPC 4.934f (tried 4.934)]

I have tried removing all axes from FSX - no joy

I have tried having only throttles in FSX - no joy

I have tried not switching through different windows - no joy

If anyone can share this disappointment with me please help.

I need a solution. PLEASE! :(

Reece - Although this remark will be branded as 'Shameless Commerce' which it is - you can give the latest version of FSXAssist a try.  It has a 30 day refund and you will know right away if it works on your system.

What FSXAssist does is poll the USB stick via SimmConnect at a regular interval (make sure the SimmConnect UI option is checked).  This simple trick helps keep the communication clear and active between FSX and the stick.  ALT_Tabbing will otherwise kill the stick.

I attribute this issue to the other one in FSX - If you unplug your USB stick in FSX, it will not come back when it is plugged back in!  At least not on my rig.

Also, you can enable messaging in FSXAssist to see a quick Controller Connected message in FSX.  Most people like the messaging.  They are short and unobtrusive so I leave them on.  I usually end a flight after an AutoSave message which you can set via other UI options.

AVSIM SkyPilot Forum

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Jim,

Thanks for your response. I shall give FSXAssist a try with all fingers crossed that it works.

I will report back with an update :)

That's all we can ask for.  :blink:

BTW - we recently added a SYSTEM-INDEX configuration value.  It is currently set to the number of seconds (60) to delay starting the FSXAssist auto-timer after you click on 'Run FSXAssist'.  The reason for this is to allow FSX and any addon apps enough time to load before testing to see if they are running.

The bad part is that joystick connection code only runs after the auto-timer starts.  This could be bad if you have an instant dropout issue.  Actually, the dropout here is really quick without FSXAssist.  Anyway you could set SYSTEM-INDEX to 30 or lower and retest if you have stick connect issues..

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Okay, so I've installed and ran FSXAssist but i keep getting the dropouts.... however I do not have my controls linked through FSUIPC - I just have default FSX control/ axes assignments. Therefore the controllers disappear from FSX altogether.

Any advce?

Thanks

Hey Reece - what else have you tried to keep your sticks connected?  Also, you could set the FSXAssist SYSTEM-INDEX option described above to say 10.  It is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SkyPilot Software\FSXAssist\FSXAssist.exe.config file.

Does you setup work fine in other (dare I say) games?

Regards

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz