Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Thanks! FYI I did not notice any problems with the blurry ground textures though, and I finally made my first smooth landing since I used windows 8 (-89fpm) Thank you to the team at SkyPilot!

Anyways, how do I use the "App path"? I'm confused with the documents saying "exe.xml" files. Most of the addons are either scenery (.bgl) or .dll, not .exe or .xml

LOD will have an affect on blurries - we are running it at a high (7.5) setting.

APP Paths are for any addon programs like HiFi's ASN.  Check out the readme for best results.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

LOD will have an affect on blurries - we are running it at a high (7.5) setting.

APP Paths are for any addon programs like HiFi's ASN.  Check out the readme for best results.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Finally, FSXAssist started to not work for once. The "controller engaged" button does not mean anything, and the controller is gone during taxi to the gate. For the first time. Don't know if it is gonna get worse (I did not reset flight, and this is the first flight)

Changing aircraft will cause this problem, as well as changing scenery settings, etc. If that loading screen comes up (not the blue one), will FSXAssist still work?

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

'dmiannay', on 31 Oct 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

BTW, 6 complete flights now with no joystick issues at all.  I'm now about 95% sure they fixed it.

After a total of 10 complete flights and an 11th in process with the PMDG T7, REX, and Ultimate Traffic my joystick remains stable and connected.  No anomalies at all... just rock solid performance.  

It's time to claim victory with Win10TP.  I am very glad I can fly FSX now without all the disappointing disconnects.  This may be a fluke affecting only me, but I'll take it!

I wish all the rest of you success with this.

I'm losing patience, I'm gonna use Windows 10 TP for the sake of FSX. How do I reinstall Windows 8 afterwards (not gonna buy another hard disk for $50 for the sake of this). They said 

Warning

• Creating a recovery drive will erase anything already stored on your USB flash drive. Use an empty USB flash drive or make sure to transfer any important data from your USB flash drive to another storage device before using it to create a USB recovery drive.

And do I need to reinstall FSX if I go back to Windows 8?

Well, It happened again. I'm afraid I have to call that 30 day policy into place if it happens again. (This time round I did not reset the flight or change aircraft...) Next test will be from Cape Town the Dubai (9 hours)

Time for Windows 10 TP (another $30 gone, thanks to microsoft trying to wipe out everything in my current drive if I use it)

Well, It happened again. I'm afraid I have to call that 30 day policy into place if it happens again. (This time round I did not reset the flight or change aircraft...) Next test will be from Cape Town the Dubai (9 hours)

Time for Windows 10 TP (another $30 gone, thanks to microsoft trying to wipe out everything in my current drive if I use it)

Np on the refund.  Just email us at the support link below.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Np on the refund.  Just email us at the support link below.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Maybe not, I was wondering if the Joystick Disconnect after Parking (normally after 1 hour) would count... It does disconnect if I start a new flight (np for me, I could just restart FSX)

Thought of doing one last test flight (Same flight, but clicked "reset" once)

P.S If FSXAssist shows 'FSX is Restarting', then is FSXAssist connected to FSX?

No disconnects! (even though I reset the flight thrice)

Seems to disconnect very randomly. (maybe the EnumerationRetryCount value did matter after all...)

Same disconnect Problem over here...

Windows 8.1, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, FSX, Dual Displays (Monitors)

No solution yet ?

Good, you use the same joystick as me (more relevant). However, I don't use 2 monitors (probably does not matter)

First, delete those registry files as I said on page 54

Then, buy FSXAssist (no other way, but if it works, its worth it) It worked for me!

Alternatively, you can use Windows 10 Technical Preview (a complicated process where you have to backup your Windows disc etc.). dmiannay has tested it out, and it worked for him (see pages 53 to 56)

If you use FSXAssist, make sure to restart FSX after EVERY flight. If not, FSXAssist would not work for the subsequent flights.

Hope this works!

I'm doing another test flight (2 flights in a row! Dubai-Singapore-Brussels). See if FSXAssist works. If it does, success!

I tried doing it once but I aborted takeoff (joystick fails at 110 knots)

UPDATE: knew it wouldn't work. Restarting FSX...

Thankx for the tips,

will take a look at FSAssist but sure not installing Windows 10 Preview

btw:  Joystick sometimes re-connects after a random couple of minutes  

If you want solid joystick performance, don't install FSXAssist. It sometimes will still fail, like my Singapore-Brussels test flight. Only option: Windows 10 Technical Preview. (Which I will not care about those complicated stuff)

Thankx for the tips,

will take a look at FSAssist but sure not installing Windows 10 Preview

btw:  Joystick sometimes re-connects after a random couple of minutes  

I found out a fix (no test flight, but it should work)

Connect Controller using FSUIPC instead of using FSX. Video here (its expensive but worth it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRGPNVtf2Cw

A combination of running FSXAssist and assigning the Saitek X52 through FSUIPC has kept this problem from annoying me over the past couple of months. It seems it can be different between each user but this is best combination to have working controls while running Windows 8. 

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

A combination of running FSXAssist and assigning the Saitek X52 through FSUIPC has kept this problem from annoying me over the past couple of months. It seems it can be different between each user but this is best combination to have working controls while running Windows 8. 

Exactly what i'm doing now.

I have switched to P3D since in P3D I don't have this problem anymore but i still have the PMDG777-200/300 and I would like to fly it so I try everything.

I have FSUIPC but FSUIPC uses the same things as FSX to connect to the operating system so i don't see why it should help.

What I have found is that always that I alt-tab without the sim being paused, it automatically loses connection and I haven't been able to have it back. However, I have been trying to pause it THEN do alt-tab, return again and unpause and it keeps it connected! I have tested this not extensively, tomorrow I will try again to see if it is consistent or not. I am running FSX as administrator, with Windows 7 compatibility in Win 8 Pro 64 bits.

I have switched to P3D since in P3D I don't have this problem anymore but i still have the PMDG777-200/300 and I would like to fly it so I try everything.

I have FSUIPC but FSUIPC uses the same things as FSX to connect to the operating system so i don't see why it should help.

What I have found is that always that I alt-tab without the sim being paused, it automatically loses connection and I haven't been able to have it back. However, I have been trying to pause it THEN do alt-tab, return again and unpause and it keeps it connected! I have tested this not extensively, tomorrow I will try again to see if it is consistent or not. I am running FSX as administrator, with Windows 7 compatibility in Win 8 Pro 64 bits.

Pete Dowson the creator of FSUIPC has even said on his forums he doesn't understand why the tool is able to keep the stick connected yet FSX can't.  I'm guessing FSX just ignores controllers after startup so if you're dropped at some point it never picks it back up but FSUIPC on the other hand is just detecting all the time or something and picks it back up.  Very rarely I'll hear the USB "ding" that something reconnected and that happened to me today while in the sim.  I looked over and noticed the MFD display on my X52 had re-set and was showing GMT time which tells me windows had totally dropped the stick and re-enabled it (could be my stick going bad, it's one of the original X52's and is about 10 years old now).  However, FSX didn't even flinch as far as I still had full joystick capability.  My stick is fully configured via FSUIPC right now.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro