Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

FSX / SE run much better on Win X IMO. Flaky drivers will likely be a nuisance.  Yes I'm a pathetic MS backer but hey, we had to beat IBM's OS2.  LOL

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I've been living with this problem like everyone else and used FSUIPC to get around the Disappearing joy stick problem.  A few weeks ago a installed a 3 port USB PCI express card into my system.  Plugged my Yoke and Rudder peddles directly into it.  The joystick never disappear now.  I think this fix makes your joysticks work like the olden days when we plugged them into the game port on the sound card.  

This thread is on the edge of being closed IMO. If any of the "solutions" suggested in this thread don't work for you (USB power settings, FSUIPC, etc.) then either go back to Win 7 or upgrade to Win 10. Windows 8 is a footnote in history at this point, like Microsoft Bob and Vista.

I've been living with this problem like everyone else and used FSUIPC to get around the Disappearing joy stick problem.  A few weeks ago a installed a 3 port USB PCI express card into my system.  Plugged my Yoke and Rudder peddles directly into it.  The joystick never disappear now.  I think this fix makes your joysticks work like the olden days when we plugged them into the game port on the sound card.

You continued to have disconnects using FSUIPC, but after you plugged into an alternative USB Hub, the disconnects ceased? So we can assume you must simply have had a faulty, (or inadequate in some way) USB Hub, or a misconfigured driver for it. Sounds reasonable. Since Hubs are very cheap, it's worth getting a new one if there are any problems. I recommend mains adapter powered hubs even with only joysticks, when adding external sockets.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You continued to have disconnects using FSUIPC, but after you plugged into an alternative USB Hub, the disconnects ceased? So we can assume you must simply have had a faulty, (or inadequate in some way) USB Hub, or a misconfigured driver for it. Sounds reasonable. Since Hubs are very cheap, it's worth getting a new one if there are any problems. I recommend mains adapter powered hubs even with only joysticks, when adding external sockets.

I'm not using a USB hub!!  I'm using a USB PCI card plugged into PCI slot 1 of my Asus mother board.  Don't use the USB ports on your mother board. Install a USB PCI card in you Mother board. (they're cheap) If its an older MB use a PCI type newer MB you'll need a PCI Express board.  It would be nice have some others try this and see if it works for them as well.  

I've said this again and again.

The only REAL solution is to either move to Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Windows 8.X will never be fixed.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I'm not using a USB hub!!  I'm using a USB PCI card plugged into PCI slot

Yes, that's a USB hub and I refer to it as such.

Yes, that's a USB hub and I refer to it as such.

Ok, But I would call it a USB Port. The PCI card I have has three USB-3 ports, its not a hub.  A USB Hub is a device that allows plunging multiple  USB devices into a one port.  Maybe we're just using a different word to describe the same thing.  

If you look in Device manager you will see they are called Hubs. You installed an alternative "internal" hub to the one on your mother board. I inferred that this creates a new driver setup, or indeed the new hardware itself is better than the old in some way. I also added that if you use an external hub plugged into that, then I recommended a mains powered one. It helps a great deal when people talk using the common nomenclature.

Since you mention it is a USB3 internal hub with three ports, it's worth noting that these work in USB2 mode with your joysticks. Problems come from using USB3 external hubs when the link to the external hub is in USB3 mode. In USB3 mode the cable should be kept short and away from interference. So I am suggesting that if an external hub is connected to the internal USB3 port, then make that a USB2 hub if you can just for USB2 items.

Your advice as to not use USB ports on the motherboard? Well, maybe you have a problem of some kind with your motherboard on board root hub or something, but I've not got any hardware here with any problems so I won't be needing to add new hubs to any of my systems.

Hi,

I encounter this problem with PMDG 777 and with Win7 (not Win8)

I have read lots of pages regarding the issue... So I know there is no any fix...

Could you please detailed information about FsUIPC solution?? Otherwise I am thinking to start flying with mouse...

Thanks,

Burak Tuncel - Eskisehir, TURKEY

Core i7-2600K, ASUS P8P67 EVO, G-Skill JiprawsX DDR3 - 1600 Mhz, 2x4GB, WD Cavier Black 1 TB, n-Vidia GTX460 - GIGABYTE, HAF-932, SAPPHIRE Pure 625 W 80+

Hello Burak,

You will need to purchase the full version of FSUIPC.

After that, you need to calibrate the joystick and assign axes to each of your controls.

Here's an example...

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/56474-fsuipc-axis-assignment-instructions/

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hello Jude,

Thanks for explanation...

Burak Tuncel - Eskisehir, TURKEY

Core i7-2600K, ASUS P8P67 EVO, G-Skill JiprawsX DDR3 - 1600 Mhz, 2x4GB, WD Cavier Black 1 TB, n-Vidia GTX460 - GIGABYTE, HAF-932, SAPPHIRE Pure 625 W 80+

Haha! This is ridiculous! I just upgraded to win10 after suddenly experiencing the joystick disconnection woe. I mean, I departed EHAM-VHHH ending up almost cussing like hell, because my stick wouldn't work upon arrival; wasted 13 hours watching instruments, etc. I fly with FsPassenger X, so you can just imagine.

Currently crzing at FL410 in the PMDG KLM 747-400 from TNCM-TNCC. I'll let you know if my joystick plays up, though based on what I've read should have been resolved in win10.