Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Until now, I was able to take off using my stick, but today ... It died after pushback.

one thing's for sure, the joystick DIES at the MOST inconvenient times; that should tell you something... 

I originally switched to 8 the week it was released. When I started having these joystick issues I uninstalled it and went back to 7. With FSUIPC and DLYS giving me hope for a solution I tried 8 again. After tinkering with it I lost all hope and am happy to be back with 7 x64. Windows 8 will never see my hardrive again. There are some good improvements with Windows 8 (not talking about metro) but it is simply not worth it to me.

I wish goodluck and continued success to the people who have 8 and FSX figured out.

I did exactly the same as you and wish them all well. 

I still have Windows 8 on a laptop (not using FSX),and would be very surprised if the fix this bug,since they haven't even acknowledged it.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

The author of FSX Assist has posted on his forum here that he has discovered what causes the Win 8 joystick bug and has suggested that the next version of FSX Assist will provide a fix:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/411991-fsxassist-win-7-8-input-device-dropout-fix/#entry2699088

Thank you :) at least there's hope now, but it requires crash detection :( 

Bn-2 islander for about an hour, some pauses, lots of moving around screens etc. Then, after landing and parking,opened edit GSX aircraft tool, bam. Gone.  Which makes this link even more interesting

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee416310(v=vs.85).aspx

Well that's GOOD info, the BAD thing is M$ still isn't DOING ANYTHING about it and they want US to pay $30 for their next 8.1 UPGRADE?! We have NEVER paid for a windows service patch (well I know they won't call it an SP, but that's what this is, just a glorified SP) and then this is a problem and they want us to pay?! 

MSFSX is the only game I play that has the issue on win8, all my other games that need it don't have this problem. 

I should also note, that this link while useful doesn't really help the average user to figure out what to do other than wait for someone to come along and make it easier to fix (someone's working on that already). 

As I posted in another thread, the only hope for the future of flight simming is in Android on the desktop. There are are already Android desktop units (Acer makes one and there are rumors of an Acer Android desktop powered by an Intel Haswell CPU). Now all we need is an Android complete version of XPlane or maybe an Android port of P3D. Being wedded to MS will doom any flight sim apps in the long run. Microsoft has turned the desktop version of Windows into DOS. It's only for legacy apps.

Well that's GOOD info, the BAD thing is Microsoft still isn't DOING ANYTHING about it and they want US to pay $30 for their next 8.1 UPGRADE?! We have NEVER paid for a windows service patch (well I know they won't call it an SP, but that's what this is, just a glorified SP) and then this is a problem and they want us to pay?! 

MSFSX is the only game I play that has the issue on win8, all my other games that need it don't have this problem. 

I should also note, that this link while useful doesn't really help the average user to figure out what to do other than wait for someone to come along and make it easier to fix (someone's working on that already). 

Windows 8.1 is free, http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121043-windows-8-1-release-date-and-what-you-need-to-know-to-get-ready

Where did you hear there was a charge for this? 

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I heard the same thing.

And I posted a link to Microsoft Dev site not to suggest the link was a fix or anything, but that the problem is actually showing on the support page, and not just some dude saying, "reload your drivers and report back" collect my pay Microsoft guru. Some I have a glimmer of hope. faint, but a glimmer, because I find the FSUIPC set up frustrating. I do , I said it. sorry pete, but I do, gawd, make a video already.

That does seem to describe the issue correctly.

Jude Bradley

I found the FSUIPC set up frustrating too !!.  
But till now, that is the only way not to have problems anymore with the Joystick and Windows 8.

I have been flying for about 2 months without any problem. ^_^

I found the FSUIPC set up frustrating too !!.  

But till now, that is the only way not to have problems anymore with the Joystick and Windows 8.

I have been flying for about 2 months without any problem. ^_^

Overclock,

I started using FSUIPC also, however.......  I'm still having problems.  I do have the registered version.  I have the CH yoke and pedals.  I setup the Yoke aileron, elevator, throttle, prop, and mixture axes', and the rudder and toe brakes axes' in FSUIPC.  Everything seemed to be just find....until.....I accessed Plan-G and I lost the buttons and pan, then all of a sudden I lost everything...while in flight.

You're right, the setup was frustrating for me too.  I must be doing something wrong.

I've read through the instructions that came with FSUIPC, however, they seem to confuse me.  I need a simple step by step instructions to set everything..ha

Do you have any recommendations for me?  Someone was going to create a simple video for all of us having problems, however that hasn't happened.  Which is all right as I understand real life commitments.  It has been interesting learning and trying to de-bug this, but, now it's getting frustrating.

I had installed FSX in the default directory...maybe I should've installed it in it's separate directory like C:\FSX.

Enough blabbing...would appreciate any recommendations on setting up FSUIPC.

Thanks to all who's been trying to help with this.

Rod

Rod Beck

Overclock,

I started using FSUIPC also, however....... I'm still having problems. I do have the registered version. I have the CH yoke and pedals. I setup the Yoke aileron, elevator, throttle, prop, and mixture axes', and the rudder and toe brakes axes' in FSUIPC. Everything seemed to be just find....until.....I accessed Plan-G and I lost the buttons and pan, then all of a sudden I lost everything...while in flight.

You're right, the setup was frustrating for me too. I must be doing something wrong.

I've read through the instructions that came with FSUIPC, however, they seem to confuse me. I need a simple step by step instructions to set everything..ha

Do you have any recommendations for me? Someone was going to create a simple video for all of us having problems, however that hasn't happened. Which is all right as I understand real life commitments. It has been interesting learning and trying to de-bug this, but, now it's getting frustrating.

I had installed FSX in the default directory...maybe I should've installed it in it's separate directory like C:\FSX.

Enough blabbing...would appreciate any recommendations on setting up FSUIPC.

Thanks to all who's been trying to help with this.

Rod

Hi Rod

I have only Saitek X52 Joystick and Thrust panel.

I followed this guide :

http://pdfsb.com/readonline/5a5642456567353858584a394333396d56413d3d

I have FSX installed in the default directory.

I don't know what's Plan-G.

Luigi

Hi Rod

I have only Saitek X52 Joystick and Thrust panel.

I followed this guide :

http://pdfsb.com/readonline/5a5642456567353858584a394333396d56413d3d

I have FSX installed in the default directory.

I don't know what's Plan-G.

Luigi

Thanks Luigi...

I think I got it figured out.  I played with it for about an hour and I think it's working just fine.  I'm going to try some flights and load it up with everything.

Thanks for the reply, and the link.

Rod

Rod Beck