Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

Well, I just had my first disconnects on Win8.1 (selective suspend turned off, "turn off to save power" unchecked in all USB places in device manager).  I took the opportunity to test something since I use the Saitek software to program my stick.  Buttons still work!  So I might try a hybrid setup of assigning control axis' and hat buttons (hats fail after disco too) through FSUIPC and I could leave the profiler to do the rest through the "magic keyboard" setup that it uses for the buttons and still have most of my 3 mode programming intact.  Oh, toggles on the X52 work still as well.  Just axis and hats are lost.  Biggest thing I use the hats for besides the obvious main one to adjust my view is the throttle hat is used for L/R brakes to help steer on the ground and for adjusting the elevator trim.

edit: forgot to add, the disconnects only happened after opening notepad to look at a cfg file, and once I smacked the Windows key and got dumped to the start screen.  I can alt-tab out, click on something already open, and be fine.  I'm also pretty sure I've opened stuff up before a couple times so not sure what changed, but oh well.  I'm mostly done tweaking the install as of today anyway and I rarely tab out/etc. while actually flying.  Since I don't fly online right now I could also then get away with just saving the flight and restarting FSX.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I may have a solution. The joystick connects for 9 hours straight, without disconnects (even with Alt-tabbing) Firstly, follow the steps shown in http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421313-possible-solution-windows-8-and-81-joystick-solution-for-fsx-and-prepar3d/. However, also change the "Turn off hard disk after" to Never in the Power Options setting (I think that the OS treats the joystick as a "hard disk". Also delete all the registries in that folder except (Default), EnumerationRetryCount and SymbolicName.

Also uncheck ALL "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" options under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and "Human Interface Devices" (All, regardless of what it says)

Sorry, but this thread does not allow images

Do this at your own risk (I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, the registry options may not work). Just make sure to come back to FSX and do some stuff using the joystick (turn the rudder, or whatever) every 20 mins.

I'm running test flight 2, will update after it is completed (Cape Town to Munich)

Source: My old windows 7 computer where I copied the registry settings from

If we're lucky, the issue will be solved in Windows 10

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I just hope there is an update that fixes this problem soon... unless my fix works

Can't afford FSXAssist (too expensive...) Although I actually deleted all the registry files in that particular folder but EnumerationRetryCount cannot be deleted (does this have any effect?)

P.S. My old Windows 7 computer actually had the "turn off this device to save power" box checked and "selective suspend" enabled. The only difference is the registry (of the three) which Windows 7 only had (Default) and SymbolicName while the one on Windows 8 have all sorts of EnhancedPowerManagement bla bla bla... making me think that those entries have something to do with it

UPDATE: 9 hours on, Joystick is still good. Although 80% of joystick failures come in around Approach and Landing, we'll see how.

UPDATE: Total fail. One descent starts, its gone. 

If we're lucky, the issue will be solved in Windows 10

Reports I've seen so far sounded good, but who knows what the final RC will bring.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

It has been a long time coming and I'm now tentatively encouraged that Windows 10 will correct this problem.  I have been running FSX in Win10TP (Build 9860) now for about an hour and my joystick has not yet disconnected.  I have opened and closed numerous applications on my second screen, opened and edited .cfg files, did some Visual Studio coding, etc. with FSX running in windowed mode on the main screen.  With Windows 8.1 the joystick would have disconnected within 30 seconds if I'd done this.  But, so far so good.

Not claiming victory here, but things are looking positive at this stage.  I'll report back later this evening after a couple flights and let you know my results.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If I do a "livestick" landing the first time in forever (almost literally!) then the money is worth it!

I'm doing a 9 hour test flight to see how it goes

It has been a long time coming and I'm now tentatively encouraged that Windows 10 will correct this problem.  I have been running FSX in Win10TP (Build 9860) now for about an hour and my joystick has not yet disconnected.  I have opened and closed numerous applications on my second screen, opened and edited .cfg files, did some Visual Studio coding, etc. with FSX running in windowed mode on the main screen.  With Windows 8.1 the joystick would have disconnected within 30 seconds if I'd done this.  But, so far so good.

Not claiming victory here, but things are looking positive at this stage.  I'll report back later this evening after a couple flights and let you know my results.

Well, after two complete FSX sessions I haven't had a single joystick disconnect.  Very encouraging... but still too soon to claim that Win10TP fixes this problem.  I will continue to test in the days to come and report back my findings.  I am hopeful...

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Well, after two complete FSX sessions I haven't had a single joystick disconnect.  Very encouraging... but still too soon to claim that Win10TP fixes this problem.  I will continue to test in the days to come and report back my findings.  I am hopeful...

Looking forward to hearing your report.  I know one of the guys that hangs out on the ORBX forums had major probs with both 8 and 8.1 and went back to 7 because of it (did not try FSUIPC) and he tried Win10 as soon as the tech preview dropped and was also reporting no disconnects.

Good. But if I install Windows 10TP do I need to reinstall FSX?

Good. But if I install Windows 10TP do I need to reinstall FSX?

No. The Tech Preview updates your current installation preserving settings, applications and data.  If you use NVIDIA Inspector and SweetFX, you'll need to reset the Inspector profile for FSX afterwards to get your graphics enhancements back.

Note:  When you sign up and download the Win10 Tech Preview you will get the initial build (9841).  Once it installs and all is running well, you will go to PC Settings/Update and Recovery/Preview Builds to download the latest preview release (Build 9860).  The installs are all very easy, but could take a while depending on how much you have loaded on your current machine.

Another note: Win10 Tech Preview is very stable and I've had no problems with it at all since it was released.  However, this is early code so there is the possibility of problems.  Just remember, YMMV.

Have fun!

Doug Miannay

Test 1: Climb to FL390, descent to FL330. Joystick normally disconnects when descending, so I'd test it out if FSXAssist helps avoid this. 

Answer: Yes. "Joystick Engaged" suggests that it was disconnected for a little while

Test 2: "Landing" Test. Joystick normally disconnects here as well. (will have to reduce speed to 250 knots).

Answer: Yes.  Note that FSXAssist said "Joystick Engaged" when I slow down (really?) AND when my gear goes down (well, FSX on Windows 8 is so risky). Thanks FSX Assist!

Test 3: Fiddle with the autopilot controls. Pressing these buttons sometimes disconnects the joystick.

Answer: Yes. Well the joystick disconnected AGAIN for the 5th AND 6th time during the test when I "played" with the NAV hold switch and autothrottle.

FSXAssist checklist completed. Real test 6 hours later (the real landing)

P.S I carried 504 passengers and tested out the plane. Don't know if they noticed :P

Well, FSX Assist worked! (I did my first landing with the joystick, but it ended up -600fpm because the scenery blocked my view and i was landing runway 27 at TNCM...)

Thanks SkyPilot software! That's the fix. It costs you some money, but in the end, worth it.

But still, if you are using windows 7, don't change to windows 8. The new start menu is ####