Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Windows 10 Technical Preview completely cures this problem.  Since changing over I've flown nearly 100 flights without a single joystick issue.  Microsoft will be releasing their Windows 10 Consumer Preview (CP) on 21 January, and from what I've seen on all their earlier Win 10 alpha builds, it is expected to be a very stable CP release.

I fully understand and appreciate that many don't want to go this route, but it needs to be socialized as an option since the problem is completely corrected and FSX, P3D 2.4, and FSX Steam all run superbly.  Just sayin'...

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Windows 10 Technical Preview completely cures this problem.  Since changing over I've flown nearly 100 flights without a single joystick issue.  Microsoft will be releasing their Windows 10 Customer Preview (CP) on 21 January, and from what I've seen on all their earlier Win 10 alpha builds, it is expected to be a very stable CP release.

I fully understand and appreciate that many don't want to go this route, but it needs to be socialized as an option since the problem is completely corrected and FSX, P3D 2.4, and FSX Steam all run superbly.  Just sayin'...

did you have to change and settings at all ? do expect the final release win 10  will be the same and give the same results Doug. Has anyone else tried this as well that you know.

Paul - no settings need to be changed.  I installed the Win 10 TP over my Win 8.1 Pro installation and everything worked just fine.  There were some other folks I read about on other forums that also tried this and their joystick problems were cured as well.  It appears Microsoft corrected the Win 8.0/1 code responsible for maintaining joystick connectivity after focus is removed from FSX in Windowed mode.  I wish I had links to other forum posts where folks had success, but I do not.  

Of course, if you try this, it is at your own risk.  I am pretty certain Win 10 will do the trick for all those who try it, but it isn't possible to know this for absolute certainty.  I am also confident that Win 10 CP will be even more stable than the alpha releases I've had so far, so I only see this improving going forward, and it's already good enough for me to use on my day-to-day primary computer.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Windows 10 Technical Preview completely cures this problem.  Since changing over I've flown nearly 100 flights without a single joystick issue.  Microsoft will be releasing their Windows 10 Consumer Preview (CP) on 21 January, and from what I've seen on all their earlier Win 10 alpha builds, it is expected to be a very stable CP release.

Nice!  I'll probably look into a dual boot option of some kind once that hits unless it's going to be possible to update to the RTM version.  That's never been an option with previous preview versions of Windows though, but who knows with the way MS is changing their consumer business models recently.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Nice!  I'll probably look into a dual boot option of some kind once that hits unless it's going to be possible to update to the RTM version.  That's never been an option with previous preview versions of Windows though, but who knows with the way MS is changing their consumer business models recently.

I have read that MS is going to allow updating to Win 10 RTM over the Win 10 CP version.  Of course they could change their minds, but that's what I'm hearing ATM.  

Doug Miannay

Paul - no settings need to be changed.  I installed the Win 10 TP over my Win 8.1 Pro installation and everything worked just fine.  There were some other folks I read about on other forums that also tried this and their joystick problems were cured as well.  It appears Microsoft corrected the Win 8.0/1 code responsible for maintaining joystick connectivity after focus is removed from FSX in Windowed mode.  I wish I had links to other forum posts where folks had success, but I do not.  

Of course, if you try this, it is at your own risk.  I am pretty certain Win 10 will do the trick for all those who try it, but it isn't possible to know this for absolute certainty.  I am also confident that Win 10 CP will be even more stable than the alpha releases I've had so far, so I only see this improving going forward, and it's already good enough for me to use on my day-to-day primary computer.

Doug thats sounds very promising I have downloaded it already from ms they provide key  to experiment for them guess good for feed back im going to monitor this closely but i think its the best news yet. Im thinking of a new build so its windows 7 pro ....skip 8.1... Win 10

i guess microsoft need to look at this as there are that many gadgets and gizmos being connected disconnected to the OS.

Doug thats sounds very promising I have downloaded it already from ms they provide key  to experiment for them guess good for feed back im going to monitor this closely but i think its the best news yet. Im thinking of a new build so its windows 7 pro ....skip 8.1... Win 10

i guess microsoft need to look at this as there are that many gadgets and gizmos being connected disconnected to the OS.

Sounds like a good plan.  Note that Win 10 RTM is slated for the September 2015 time frame.

Doug Miannay

Note that Win 10 RTM is slated for the September 2015 time frame.

I can hardly wait to read posts regarding cleaning up Microsoft's newest mess.

Does anyone know if this issue still exists with FSX SE running Win 8.1 or have DTG managed to fix it?

I set up DTG FSX-SE with a lod radius of 13.5, Win8.1. Sim seemed to go really well, joystick and pedals working perfectly, and certainly more performance than boxed FSX. So next I tried a few things, left the sim, went into Ie for a browse of AVSIM, etc. Then switched back to FSX-SE. FSX-SE immediately reported that I would have more fun with rudder pedals. Leaving the lod radius at 4.5 I've had no repeat of this problem.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

FlyBoyMikey: Yes.  I loaded up FSX SE on a newly installed Win 8.1 machine and sure enough, lost the controller when I went to another screen during a flight.

The good news is Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 Consumer Preview (CP) today and, as I've stated in this thread, the new OS definitely cures this problem completely.  Although not the final RTM release of Windows 10, I'd expect this CP release to be very stable.  But, YMMV.

Doug Miannay

FlyBoyMikey: Yes.  I loaded up FSX SE on a newly installed Win 8.1 machine and sure enough, lost the controller when I went to another screen during a flight.

The good news is Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 Consumer Preview (CP) today and, as I've stated in this thread, the new OS definitely cures this problem completely.  Although not the final RTM release of Windows 10, I'd expect this CP release to be very stable.  But, YMMV.

And as a follow-up... the new Windows 10 Consumer Preview version was not released today but will become available to Windows Insiders within the next week.  It is completely free to join Microsoft's Windows Insider program and begin receiving Win 10 builds.  You can sign up here.

Doug Miannay

And as a follow-up... the new Windows 10 Consumer Preview version was not released today but will become available to Windows Insiders within the next week.  It is completely free to join Microsoft's Windows Insider program and begin receiving Win 10 builds.  You can sign up here.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info and heads-up about the Win 10 consumer preview. I actually have an ISO image of a tech preview I burnt to disc a while back but haven't had a chance to install as yet, is it the same thing or have they come out with something newer since then?

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info and heads-up about the Win 10 consumer preview. I actually have an ISO image of a tech preview I burnt to disc a while back but haven't had a chance to install as yet, is it the same thing or have they come out with something newer since then?

Nope, you'll need the latest build they will release early next week.  I'm not sure what their plans are to release the ISO images at the moment.  If you are already an Insider and you've already installed a Windows 10 build, then you'll get the new build automatically via the "Preview Builds" menu in PC Settings.  In any event, if you haven't already, you should join the Windows Insider program.  Completely free, no obligation, but you'll have access to all the builds and the Win 10 forums.

Doug Miannay