Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

Windows 8 - Joystick Megathread problem.

I am using the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick with FSX Gold on Windows 8.1 and it works fine.

The windows 10 Pro technical is running fine It is on my new gaming computer MSI GE70 ghost pro. not a single USB joystick disconnect. Build 9926.

Windows 10 Pro Technical review - no USB disconnects - CH eclipse yoke and Ch usb pedals (777- 300 PMDG for P3D in holding pattern off Sydney for 13.5 hours 12.02.15)

Windows 10 Pro Technical review - no USB disconnects - CH eclipse yoke and Ch usb pedal (777-300 in FSX: SE test flying no USB disconnects)

No abnormal behaviour and smooth frame rates. FSX:SE frame rate good switching between multiple airports used to make the sim crash in fsx deluxe with acceleration boxed on windows 8.1.

Im happy Im believing that the final release wont be much diffrent from this one. AS mentioned before if you have a bootable spare drive you can test on its worth giving it ago.

I am using the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick with FSX Gold on Windows 8.1 and it works fine.

That's saying alot!  LOL

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi there!

Wanted to make the change to Windows X ,but after the installation of updates for my running W8.1  sytem,which came before the download of the new system,I lost my courage to do so.I rebooted,including doing the downloaded updates and what happened???

My controllers came back and are still working.

Will give further feedback.

Scott

Windows 10 Pro Technical review - no USB disconnects still no disconnects - :rolleyes:

My issue occurs directly in Windows 8.1 usb controllers are recognised but not functioning, have to replug in before they work in windows and subsequently p3d so in my case the issue is to do with windows, i also have usb suspend disabled so not that , hope

Issue will be resolved in Windows 10

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

This might be an unrelated disconnect problem.

But I have just found that with "autohide taskbar" selected, changing active windows disconnects my joystick frequently

FSX is in maximised window mode, but not full screen.

Right clicking on taskbar and selecting/deselecting autohide causes the active FSX screen to refresh and the joystick becomes active again.

If I get another disconnect without the small icons/autohide enabled, I'm going to toggle them on and off again to see if this resolves the problem.

I had another disconnect during the flight, and toggling the autohide taskbar off solved it. But it can make it more frequent (and cause it to happen again if you untoggle it), so changed to another window and turned it off again. Seems to solve the problem!

I stumbled across a cure that, so far, has been absolutely, 100-percent effective. This works when disabling selective suspend in device manager does not. It works when changing power settings in Control Panel does not. It works when the problem presents itself in Windows 8.1 OR 10. Here goes.

Search the registry for this string, EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=1, where the device it refers to corresponds to a joystick, pedals, throttle quadrant and so on.

Change it to read EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=0

Reboot.

Smile.

Bear in mind, though, this needs to be redone every single frickin' time you upgrade Windows, as the Windows install stomps on those Registry keys.

Hope this settles it once and for all

I stumbled across a cure that, so far, has been absolutely, 100-percent effective. This works when disabling selective suspend in device manager does not. It works when changing power settings in Control Panel does not. It works when the problem presents itself in Windows 8.1 OR 10. Here goes.

Search the registry for this string, EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=1, where the device it refers to corresponds to a joystick, pedals, throttle quadrant and so on.

Change it to read EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled=0

Reboot.

Smile.

Bear in mind, though, this needs to be redone every single frickin' time you upgrade Windows, as the Windows install stomps on those Registry keys.

Hope this settles it once and for all

i have tried it for by Hotas warthog, it did not work for me

i have tried it for by Hotas warthog, it did not work for me

As I wrote before, most USB hubs do not have this registry setting.

OK, I think I've found some sort of temporary solution to this problem. At least it works for me.

When FSX looses the yoke, just resize the FSX window. A tiny bit is enough, as long as it forces FSX to redraw graphics... and it will pick the yoke again.

Hope that helps,

Adrian

Windows 8.1, FSX SP2, Saitek Proflight Yoke System + panels, CH Pedals

The bug in Win 8 appears to have something to do with the main sim window losing its focus, so maybe you hit upon another solution.

I can't believe this thread is still going at this rate.

Register your controls with FSUIPC, Disable your joystick in FSX menu = 100% reliable joystick availability. 

I posted this 2 years ago, I still stand by 100%. As as soon as I did this I never had a windows 8 joystick disconnect ever again. As soon as I dont have fsuipc involved = disconnects every flight. 

I can't believe this thread is still going at this rate.

Register your controls with FSUIPC, Disable your joystick in FSX menu = 100% reliable joystick availability. 

This is the solution, why is the thread still going?