Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Multiplayer scenery requirements

I've just successfully set up a 'dedicated' server on a separate computer. As dedicated as it can be anyway. My question is: Is it necessary to install scenery such as Orbx and their airports on the server? The reason I ask is that myself and the people I fly with all have Orbx PNW etc. + airports and when joining, say, Digital Theme Parks server, on occasions we've been 'spawned' off airport and out in the boonies! We always put that down to the server not having the same scenery as us. Are we right?

Cheers.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Logic tells me that I don't need to install extra scenery on the server. I was getting mixed up with running a racing server where, of course, tracks need to be on. Sorry to have bothered you. :smile:

When you first spawn into the game fsx normally ignores the actual gate you choose.

Best bet is to spawn at a big airport nearby then move. When you move the aircraft will be exactly where you want it and never in the air.

We are talking online here aren't we? If so, that's not been my experience. Example: Mate and I join Digital TP at Bowerman. Spawn at parking places. We then decide to relocate to XXXX which also has parking. Often one of us is left in the air. I made the assumption that although our Orbx airport had parking the default FSX airport didn't.

While typing this, I think I made a case for installing Orbx airports on the server. :Thinking:

Anyway Dave, I've just signed up for your fsopen system and it works a treat. I'm in the list as Finnglish Flying. Nice! :smile:

When you spawn in the air, simply go to the menu bar and select "Go to airport..." and the parking you

wanted. You will then get placed there.

I've had that happen on the DTP servers when spawning to an airport with different scenery/parking from what the

server was running...usually FSX default.

So, 2nd time's a charm :)

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I've just successfully set up a 'dedicated' server on a separate computer. As dedicated as it can be anyway. My question is: Is it necessary to install scenery such as Orbx and their airports on the server? The reason I ask is that myself and the people I fly with all have Orbx PNW etc. + airports and when joining, say, Digital Theme Parks server, on occasions we've been 'spawned' off airport and out in the boonies! We always put that down to the server not having the same scenery as us. Are we right?

Cheers.

There is no need to install any additional scenery on a "DEDICATED" FSX server.

In fact, the simpler you leave the "dedicated server" the better.

No addon aircarft, no AI addons !!, no scenery addons, and have ALL sliders set to Minimum. After starting the server, set it to MAP MODE.. and then basically, all it will do is act as a SERVER for other players, with Minimal Graphics processing .. ie VERY Low CPU usage.

The ONLY addon, that is a MUST HAVE, is a late (latest) version of FSUIPC, as it has some feature that reduces FSX from crashing.

The default server's Airport that players see is given to them by "Airport name".

( ICAO ID would have been a far better choice - as some airport in FSX have Identical names, and FSX player's FSX will always select the 1st match, which might not be the same ICAO as the server's default).

If the server has standard scenery, that "should" be the same, available airport for everyone, even if those with addon scenery, have airports that are in slightly different locations etc.

The problem you are seeing, when sometimes players spawn in the air, is a historical BUG in FSX. (it use to be a lot worse, spawning at random incorrect airports, or spawning at random headings). At least now the heading and airports are correct, but sometimes you will spawn, 1000ft in the air, above your selected parking space. (even if you have a small plane, and you select a large gate, with nobody parked at it !!)

Accept it, live with it, and just Pause, re-select the airport from the top menu, and you will re-spawn correctly.

------------

This might be the the reason you are spawning at odd places:

If you so not want joining aircraft spawning In the air, make sure under

ADVANCED OPTIONS

Only select:

"Players can start at an airport of their Choice."

Do NOT Select:

Players can start in the air, near the host.

Players can start at the airport nearest the hosts aircraft.

Pause, re-select the airport from the top menu, and you will re-spawn correctly.

Thanks for that, handy piece of information.

I have found that the more aircraft there are on the server the fewer inane 'substitutions' there are. With only the default a/c I joined in a Duke and was substituted by a J3 Cub! Same with scenery, choosing parking 3 put me in among the hangars. With scenery I was spawned at the correct gate. Much nicer. :smile: