Sign in to follow this  
Guest cj_flys_wmu

WinXP Home and Netscape browser

Guest Lindy

I'm hoping someone can help me out 'cause I don't see a solution.My work computer (the one I'm using right now) is an off-the-shelf HP P4 1.8G running Windows XP home. I have Netscape v7.0 as my default browser. I keep getting a pop up note that Netscape has an update available (v7.02) and do I want to download and install it. Well, I click Okay to download the exe but for some reason the file gets a new extension ".dwt" -- and WindowsXP refuses to open it. When I try to save it on my harddrive, there is no option for saving it with an extension other than "dwt" -- which extension apparently is tacked on by Windows XP. So how do I get my update? I know some of you also use Netscape -- what do I have to do? Thanks in advance. :-smooch-Lindy

Hi Lindy,If I remember correctly from my Netscape days,......you have to shoose "update" (or something) from the Netscape menue bar, and then direct the update action to that file you downloaded.;-)Hope it helps,...:-wavehttp://www.scandicair.com/images/SA_Banner4b.jpg

Staffan

Guest Pardue802

I'm not sure if they ever really got the automatic update working properly in the Netscape 6/7 code. Netscape 7.02 is really just a minor update for the 7.0 code which adds a few minor security fixes and, as I recall, the ability to block popup windows. I don't think 7.0 had that in put they put it in because so many people wanted it.If you're on dial up, you might actually want to consider waiting for later this summer because they're going to be releasing quite a major upgrade to the browser based on the Mozilla 1.4 source code (Netscape 7.0x is based on Mozilla 1.0 source code). It's my understanding that this will also be the last Netscape released in any foreseeable future. Mozilla, however, will continue, and continues to become more and more end-user-friendly. That's something else you might want to consider trying out. Mozilla is about to undergo a huge change after 1.4. When they work on 1.5+ they're going to split the browser, mail/news, and all the other components up into standalone applications to reduce the suite's "bloat". Great strategy, I've tried the standalone versions of both mail/news (Thunderbird) and the browser (Firebird). However, they will still be releasing the program as a suite with everything included. It'll just run a lot leaner and meaner!Anyway, I digress. :-) In your case I'd recommend that you just go to the Netscape download site and download the install program there. Uninstall your existing Netscape 7.0 and then run the 7.02 installer.Long winded enough response for you? ;-)Hope this helps!Kenneth

Guest Lindy

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm sorry to hear that Netscape won't be upgraded in the future... too bad. I like it.The problem stems from the fact that no matter where I go to get the 7.02 upgrade, it saves on my machine with a .dwt extension and Windows won't run it. Therefore, I can't install the upgrade.However I finally opened up IE; went to Netscape's website and downloaded the upgrade from there. It saved on my harddrive as an .exe application (which is exactly what it SHOULD have done when I tried to get it through my Netscape browser!! :-roll ) Anyway, I now have the files and later when I've finished my day's work, I'll install NS 7.02. I'll be happy to get it if only for the ability to block popup windows. :-hahI appreciate the help. Thanks again. :-smooch-Lindy :-wave

Guest Pardue802

If you think popup blocking is great, waitl til you get the next released version. Junk Mail controls and automatic filtering and sorting of spam mail, smooth IE-like scrolling, message and newsgroup filters, TONS of improvements to bookmarks, and quite a few other nice things.Best,Kenneth

Guest Barney1

A Google search reveals that the *.dwt file extension is usually used by Dreamcatcher software programs. The fact that you were able to successfully d/l using IE suggests two possible faults: 1) file association problem within the Netscape preferrences or 2) Netscape updater itself is amiss.

Guest cj_flys_wmu

Yeah,That is really wierd to see the *.dwt file. This format is used in Macromedia Dreamweaver for what's called a "Dreamweaver Template File." It is just a way to keep web pages looking the same in basic design (like menu bar, heading, etc.). If you have 50 pages and want to update your main link bar, rather then having to update every like on each page you just have to do it once with this template file and it will update all of the pages' links in one sweep. It is pretty handy for basic web design (the kind that I like to do :-). I am not into or do not have the capibility to use fancy server side scriping like PHP or ASP).Just thought you guys would be interested.Take care!Christopher (C.J.) Starr